Options

Gemma: The Bigger Question

BelaBela Posts: 2,568
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.itv.com/news/london/2014-11-19/senior-conservative-councillor-who-described-towie-star-gemma-collins-as-fat-and-ghastly-says-i-meant-it/

I'm no fan of Gemma Collins but her weight had nothing at all to do with what made her so unlikeable and I found the 'fat' comments really unnecessary and unpleasant.

This is so depressing that someone in an elected position of power thinks it's ok to fat-shame.

Comments

• Options
    duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been a larger lady and I called her a fat, whiny mess.

She had a chance to go in and be a real role model for larger girls. She could have went in and got involved, shown that size doesn't hold you back. She chose to lie in her bed and cry about food. When a very high percentage of the world is starving she thought it okay to say she would kill herself because what was on offer wasn't good enough for her.

She was like a caricature of large women, she's set them back rather than taking them forward.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duffsdad wrote: »
    I've been a larger lady and I called her a fat, whiny mess.

She had a chance to go in and be a real role model for larger girls. She could have went in and got involved, shown that size doesn't hold you back. She chose to lie in her bed and cry about food. When a very high percentage of the world is starving she thought it okay to say she would kill herself because what was on offer wasn't good enough for her.

She was like a caricature of large women, she's set them back rather than taking them forward.

Interesting. That's where we differ. I saw/see her as a whiny mess. A pathetic one, a self-absorbed one, but at no point did I think, 'fat whiny mess'.
  • Options
    daicolldaicoll Posts: 434
    Forum Member
    I don't think size is an issue but only rears its head when someone it being so irritating and obnoxious that people use every adjective they can muster to describe the individual.
  • Options
    duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bela wrote: »
    Interesting. That's where we differ. I saw/see her as a whiny mess. A pathetic one, a self-absorbed one, but at no point did I think, 'fat whiny mess'.

But she is fat. :confused:
    I don't think size is an issue but only rears its head when someone it being so irritating and obnoxious that people use every adjective they can muster to describe the individual

I felt it became an issue because the only things I heard her say was about food even after Craig and Nadia spoke to her and tried to help. It's obviously an issue for her. She seems quite greedy. Maybe it was the editing but she came across as a horrible individual without even the commonsense to see how she might come across in a world where not enough food is a huge issue.
  • Options
    cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is 'fat-shame' a thing now?
  • Options
    feckitfeckit Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's a big old unit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daicoll wrote: »
    I don't think size is an issue but only rears its head when someone it being so irritating and obnoxious that people use every adjective they can muster to describe the individual.

Agree, but this is Harrow Council's Conservative leader. She's of course entitled to an opinion like everyone else but adding 'fat' to the equation suggests a degree of ignorance that you'd kind of hope someone in her position would be above.
  • Options
    Kazz_xKazz_x Posts: 844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I kinda agree with the poster who called her a "fat whiny mess". I agree about the complaining about food. I am not thin by any means but I am working so damn hard to lose my weight because I want to be healthy so I can do my job better, live longer, maybe one day be a fit and healthy mum. This woman had the chance to go in and show she was more than who we saw on tv. Be a role model. Tackle whatever was thrown at her, deal with the food issues. Give us a positive personality!

(Disclaimer: I am a right moody b***h today so I may see this later and feel a bit bad)
  • Options
    MaccaMacca Posts: 18,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not fat just a lard arse :o:D
  • Options
    owen10owen10 Posts: 127,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    In a strange sort of way im going to miss her