Options

New Xbox Slim any good?

linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anybody got one? I'm thinking of getting it just wondered what peoples impressions of it are?

Also is the 4GB a non gloss finish but the larger model is gloss? :confused:

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor lad on here is about to get his fourth 'Slim' already :eek:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1354703
  • Options
    mikey86ukmikey86uk Posts: 5,657
    Forum Member
    True

4GB is matte and the 250GB is gloss finished

i bought one seeing as my Elite decided to stop reading disks.

and i like it, looks smart and it very quiet and makes call noises when you turn it on and off and open/close disk tray.

Apart from that, it does the same as the standard 360's
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikey86uk wrote: »
    True

4GB is matte and the 250GB is gloss finished

i bought one seeing as my Elite decided to stop reading disks.

and i like it, looks smart and it very quiet and makes call noises when you turn it on and off and open/close disk tray.

Apart from that, it does the same as the standard 360's

I like the gloss one but not worth the extra cost. I assume you can buy a bigger memory hard drive for the 4GB one? I heard it's a new fitting not the same as the old one?
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anybody got one? I'm thinking of getting it just wondered what peoples impressions of it are?

I bought one when they came out, to replace my ageing Elite.

Very impressed. Bigger HDD, built-in WiFi B/G/N, and *much* *much* quieter than the "fat" 360s.

I like the gloss one but not worth the extra cost. I assume you can buy a bigger memory hard drive for the 4GB one? I heard it's a new fitting not the same as the old one?

Yes, it's a different connection. You can't use a old 360's HDD on a "Slim" 360.

I think it is worth the extra cost. 4GB is too small if you want to install your games to the HDD, download lots of DLC & XBLA stuff, etc.

I don't think that the Slim style HDD is available separately yet, but given what MS charges for the old style HDDs when sold separately, it is likely to be much better value to get a 250GB Slim than to get a 4GB Slim & buy a separate HDD. There's no way MS would sell a 250GB HDD on its own for the £50 price difference between models.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 462
    Forum Member
    I am that lad on his 4th, that seems ol, but it's only been 24hrs.
    4 other mates have got them and had no trouble at all, i'm just the unlucky one.
  • Options
    SoundburstSoundburst Posts: 13,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    legzakimbo wrote: »
    I am that lad on his 4th, that seems ol, but it's only been 24hrs.
    4 other mates have got them and had no trouble at all, i'm just the unlucky one.

We've got quite a few back at my Argos.

Some stop reading discs. Some scratch disks, and some give an E error (according to the damage labels).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 444
    Forum Member
    I have the 'S' model, friends also bought the same and nobody has had any issues. Yes their will be exceptions, tales of extreme bad luck follow all electronic devices, cars, washing machines.. rare but it does happen.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 444
    Forum Member

I recommend the 250GB, like you say its a gloss finish and it really looks very slick. Post to lets us know what you decided on :)
  • Options
    Mark125Mark125 Posts: 659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    I bought one when they came out, to replace my ageing Elite.

Very impressed. Bigger HDD, built-in WiFi B/G/N, and *much* *much* quieter than the "fat" 360s.

Yes, it's a different connection. You can't use a old 360's HDD on a "Slim" 360.

I think it is worth the extra cost. 4GB is too small if you want to install your games to the HDD, download lots of DLC & XBLA stuff, etc.

I don't think that the Slim style HDD is available separately yet, but given what MS charges for the old style HDDs when sold separately, it is likely to be much better value to get a 250GB Slim than to get a 4GB Slim & buy a separate HDD. There's no way MS would sell a 250GB HDD on its own for the £50 price difference between models.

You can use your old HDD in the new slim. You have to break open the casing and take out the actual HDD.. That will then fit in the slot on the new xboxS.

There is plenty of your tube videos on it. Don't forget to attach some tape to the HDD though or you'll struggle to remove it once in the new xboxS.

HOW TO VIDEO
  • Options
    Mark125Mark125 Posts: 659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The 250gig is worth the axtra cost. You can get them for £189 in ASDA. The 4GIG is £149, the new HDD is rumoured to be £80 on release.

So a 4gig with HDD=£230. A 250gig is £189 all in.
  • Options
    mikey86ukmikey86uk Posts: 5,657
    Forum Member
    makes cool noises when you turn it on and off and open/close disk tray.

Cant you upgrade the 360 S hdd using laptop hard drives?

and sorry, i had to fix my bad spelling :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark125 wrote: »
    The 250gig is worth the axtra cost. You can get them for £189 in ASDA. The 4GIG is £149, the new HDD is rumoured to be £80 on release.

So a 4gig with HDD=£230. A 250gig is £189 all in.

I got a 4GB for £139 at Asda. I'll plan on buying a 250GB drive which will make it 4GB larger than the new one.

So far seems decent. Anybody know if you can turn the Wi-fi off when I'm not playing live?
  • Options
    ListedBuzzListedBuzz Posts: 9,042
    Forum Member
    Mark125 wrote: »
    You can use your old HDD in the new slim. You have to break open the casing and take out the actual HDD.. That will then fit in the slot on the new xboxS.

There is plenty of your tube videos on it. Don't forget to attach some tape to the HDD though or you'll struggle to remove it once in the new xboxS.

HOW TO VIDEO

Do not follow that way it's way too dangerous.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ListedBuzz wrote: »
    Do not follow that way it's way too dangerous.

I'll probably just buy a 250GB for £50. Not much space so I'll have to upgrade soon.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cant you upgrade the 360 S hdd using laptop hard drives?

and sorry, i had to fix my bad spelling :p

I was thinking the same thing after watching that youtube video (even though you wouldn't catch me with a pair of pliers anywhere near a brand new console)

I think I saw the label of the guys HDD he was installing and it looked like it was a Microsoft branded - I suppose the only issue would be getting the new hdd correctly formatted
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll probably just buy a 250GB for £50.

Unlikely to get one that cheap. No way will MS sell the HDD on its own for the same cost as the price difference between models. See how much they charged for the old 120GB drive...
    Not much space so I'll have to upgrade soon.

That's why you should have got the 250GB version as people suggested ;):)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    That's why you should have got the 250GB version as people suggested ;):)

I had a 20GB drive before which was small but I never used it all. Not a massive games fan.

Like the new console just not the memory. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have the slimline 360 250gb, can't fault it. Never owned the older model but from what i've heard the slim is miles better.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CSI-uk wrote: »
    I have the slimline 360 250gb, can't fault it. Never owned the older model but from what i've heard the slim is miles better.
    Have gone from an Elite to the 250 Slim, and much as I loved my Elite, yes, the slim is indeed miles better.
  • Options
    Banana RamaBanana Rama Posts: 3,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like the design of it, when I first saw it I thought there was a massive dent in the side because someone dropped it lol. If you have a 360 already then there is no reason to buy this one, people say it is quieter but I have never never had a problem with my 360 being too noisy.
  • Options
    carguy143carguy143 Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wanted a bigger HDD on my Elite 120. It would have cost me £80 for a 250gb HDD so i traded the Elite and got a Slim 250gb model for what worked out to be only £90. Not sure if this offer is still on, it was when the new Slim was released.

The Slim works really well, it's smaller, quieter (only "whisper" quiet when not using the disc drive but is still quiet when using discs).
  • Options
    BizzaBizza Posts: 2,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was tempted but after hearing about the issues some have had I'm probably just going to get a 250gb drive for my current Xbox. Only got 60gb on it at the moment space is tight.
  • Options
    SoundburstSoundburst Posts: 13,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Issues some have had?

Remember it comes with a year warranty.