Options

Buy whole chickens, not pre-prepared packs!

2»

Comments

• Options
    Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    They will almost certainly be battery chicken

Probably why they charge so much. :D

I'll get my coat. :o
  • Options
    callmedivacallmediva Posts: 1,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    Just had a look and they haven't got them at the moment but it is the market value 1kg froen chicken breasts they have been £3.45 for a while.

I wonder if different branches do different pricing?
    My local Tesco has had various brands of frozen chicken for £3 for a while now. I know they make up the weight with water "for added plumpness" :rolleyes: but 5 pieces for 3 quid ain't bad .

And, no, I'm not going to get into the battery debate, we'd all like to buy free range but it's not always possible.
  • Options
    DemizdeeroolzDemizdeeroolz Posts: 3,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know free range and organic is bettter but I personally think non organic whole chickens taste better. Sainsbury's are doing 2 large chickens for £10, nice and plump, plenty of leftovers and you can bung the carcass in the slow cooker for 18-24 hours to get a really good stock
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    There was a chicken on ASDAs website for £2 the other day. I was wondering if it was a typo because surely they can't sell them for that price.
  • Options
    alsmamaalsmama Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saving up to spend that amount isn't high on my list of priorites, £25 a week for all food/cleaning and personal hygiene items for 2 adult and 2 dogs doesn't give much wriggle room to save up for a big amount of meat. Especially when only one person eats chicken in the household.

Hmm I suspect a thread on buying and jointing a whole chicken is not really aimed at you then! Best to leave it to more carnivorous households!
  • Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ignazio wrote: »
    As the OP said even with little knowledge of deboning a chicken the bird can still be very economical and versatile.

Roast with all the trimmings.
    Pie, risotto or curry etc.
    Stock from the carcass with a few veg and herbs thrown in.

I'm always surprised at the number of people who ignore the succulent meat from the underside of the chicken. I know it has a name that escapes me at the moment though I think it relates to the bit that many chefs reserve for themselves.

Not all the meat can be accessed via the carving knife - sometimes you just have to dig out the most juicy and delicious parts by digging in with hands and fingers.

It's called the oyster. I always eat it while I'm carving the cooked chicken!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    burton07 wrote: »
    It's called the oyster. I always eat it while I'm carving the cooked chicken!

Me too. I call it cooks privilege.:D
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alsmama wrote: »
    Hmm I suspect a thread on buying and jointing a whole chicken is not really aimed at you then! Best to leave it to more carnivorous households!

So I am not allowed an opinion ? Not quite how DS works I have found.
  • Options
    alsmamaalsmama Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So I am not allowed an opinion ? Not quite how DS works I have found.

Of course you're allowed an opinion but if you are just coming on to point out why the OPs suggestion doesn't work for you then maybe best to just leave the thread. It seems to have been helpful to plenty of other people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And not to others - it's up to us surely to put both sides of a topic or we may as well just read a book, interactive activities like forums need different opinions to work.
  • Options
    PixieGrayPixieGray Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    I just cannot accept that anyone, whatever their financial circumstances, would buy battery farmed chicken.

I know that most people will offer the 'can't afford free range/organic' argument as a defence, but it's a ludicrously poor one when you consider the broad availability of a huge range of veg/pulses.

Yes, I am vegetarian, but I'm not a militant evangelical. I accept people want to eat meat without prejudice. What I can't accept is the notion that people will willingly buy into the gross practice of poor animal welfare when there are other alternatives.

This selfish and lazy option enables organic/free range meat to retain their hiked up prices due to the supply and demand model. It continues to line the pockets of those who battery farm for profit without conscience. And it encourages the population to serve up little more than unethical shit on a plate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Accept it or not but when you have a person who won't eat anything but meat and two veg then you have (if you cannot afford organic or whatever) to buy what is in the shops.

Lazy and selfish - well name call if you wish but try spending what some of us do on food and see if you can do better (with a meat and two veg man to feed).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Accept it or not but when you have a person who won't eat anything but meat and two veg then you have (if you cannot afford organic or whatever) to buy what is in the shops.

Lazy and selfish - well name call if you wish but try spending what some of us do on food and see if you can do better (with a meat and two veg man to feed).

How do you know how much I spend? You know nothing of my circumstances, so implying that I don't know what its like to like on very little is extremely presumptuous, not to mention WAY off the mark!!

Lazy and selfish are adjectives, not nouns/names. They describe my opinion, that's all.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    PixieGray wrote: »
    I just cannot accept that anyone, whatever their financial circumstances, would buy battery farmed chicken.

I know that most people will offer the 'can't afford free range/organic' argument as a defence, but it's a ludicrously poor one when you consider the broad availability of a huge range of veg/pulses.
    There is the other reason which is - **** it, it's just a chicken!
  • Options
    IgnazioIgnazio Posts: 18,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ignazio wrote: »
    As the OP said even with little knowledge of deboning a chicken the bird can still be very economical and versatile.

Roast with all the trimmings.
    Pie, risotto or curry etc.
    Stock from the carcass with a few veg and herbs thrown in.

I'm always surprised at the number of people who ignore the succulent meat from the underside of the chicken. I know it has a name that escapes me at the moment though I think it relates to the bit that many chefs reserve for themselves.

Not all the meat can be accessed via the carving knife - sometimes you just have to dig out the most juicy and delicious parts by digging in with hands and fingers.
    Forgive me for quoting myself but I've remembered that the succulent meat I referred to is the oyster.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    There is the other reason which is - **** it, it's just a chicken!

Well I suppose if you don't mind the reality that is the completely unnecessary suffering of a sentient being, then sure. Be proud of your unfathomable ignorance. Wear a badge of honour. Well done.