County Cricket 2013

Comments

• dtcdtcdtcdtcdtcdtc Posts: 16,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good start by Warwickshire in the curtain-raiser in Abu Dhabi
    561/7 dec with big hundreds for Chopra and Porterfield
    MCC 71/7 with 4 wickets for Chris Wright
    Still seems strange that it's not at Lords although the snow may have had something to say about that
  • tennismantennisman Posts: 4,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dtcdtcdtc wrote: »
    Good start by Warwickshire in the curtain-raiser in Abu Dhabi
    561/7 dec with big hundreds for Chopra and Porterfield
    MCC 71/7 with 4 wickets for Chris Wright
    Still seems strange that it's not at Lords although the snow may have had something to say about that

So back to my points about the packaging and marketing of the game - Has the cricket season officially moved forward now?

Why is this match being played in March, let alone overseas?

If we use the bad weather argument as a justification for matches' locations, then we should transfer the whole season abroad.

You've got the Counties playing pre-season matches all over the place with people twittering such things as '1st wicket of the season' which is saying that the season has begun.

Well has it?

In an increasingly competitive sports marketplace, let alone a cricket one with international matches going on in up to 3 locations at the same time, I think it's even more important to package and communicate formats / competitions better.

I know the IPL starts on April 3rd but when is the County Championship starting????
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tennisman wrote: »
    So back to my points about the packaging and marketing of the game - Has the cricket season officially moved forward now?

Why is this match being played in March, let alone overseas?

If we use the bad weather argument as a justification for matches' locations, then we should transfer the whole season abroad.

You've got the Counties playing pre-season matches all over the place with people twittering such things as '1st wicket of the season' which is saying that the season has begun.

Well has it?

In an increasingly competitive sports marketplace, let alone a cricket one with international matches going on in up to 3 locations at the same time, I think it's even more important to package and communicate formats / competitions better.

I know the IPL starts on April 3rd but when is the County Championship starting????

The first games of the Championship season are on Wednesday April 10th with the Warwickshire game beingshown on Sky I think
    I say I think as I saw a trailer for it but didn't notice the date so I assume it's the first game for the defending champs.
    I only found the date out as I've been downloading the TMS podcast and it automatically downloaded a couple of season previews with Kevin Howells (well worth a listen btw).

I agree about the lack of communication , but , in all honesty, I'm not sure how they could do it better . 5 live have been mentioning the commentaries on Sports extra a lot and Sky have trailed the Warwickshire game.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    This was the the last game of the 4 year deal to have the games played in Abu Dhabi, though of course they might make a new deal. It was a crazy idea to have these games played there with about 10 spectators watching.You would get more than that in snow at Lord's

The weather may be totally different on 10 April , but we shall see. Some of the England players will be playing on that day , in particular Monty who is available for all county games
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dtcdtcdtc wrote: »
    The first games of the Championship season are on Wednesday April 10th with the Warwickshire game beingshown on Sky I think
    I say I think as I saw a trailer for it but didn't notice the date so I assume it's the first game for the defending champs.
    I only found the date out as I've been downloading the TMS podcast and it automatically downloaded a couple of season previews with Kevin Howells (well worth a listen btw).

I agree about the lack of communication , but , in all honesty, I'm not sure how they could do it better . 5 live have been mentioning the commentaries on Sports extra a lot and Sky have trailed the Warwickshire game.

Thanks for all the imfo David.

How could they do it better?

Well, it's a while since I was a marketing exec. but what I'd do is to build everything around the start date of the season a phased series of communications around a 1 month to go, 3 weeks to go etc etc positioning.

I'd request that the Counties and players communicate about their pre season friendlies acknowledging them as such - no 1st wicket of the season tweets when the season is still 3 weeks off.

I'd bring the Champion County match back to Lords, where it belongs and the season launch could use that match as part of the launch week / period.

I'd put together a package of PR activities, like the Directors of Cricket and / or Captains to appear on Sky, 5Live, TS, Local radio etc to talk about their squads and their prospects.

Another theme might be to look at what the Counties are actually doing in pre season. Who is staying at home, who is in the UAE, who is in the Caribbean??? etc etc etc.

For football, by the time the season starts, we know just about which pair of socks a Robin Van Persie or the like will be wearing for their new club.

What do we know about Warwickshire's squad and their chances of retaining the title? Anything? If we've looked on the BBC website, there's an update but can you imagine the world of football and the media allowing us to find out about a Van Persie style transfer by looking at a website?

I'd hold launch lunches for each event (LVCC, Pro40, T20 etc etc) with the sponsors, last years Champions and a VIP player from the past using old finals as hooks to make the news / event about.

I'd ensure that a series of e-mails were sent through the club networks about the season start.

I'd create a competition for clubs to take part in during their winter nets (straight drive 4 and / or number of times I bowled someone) or something like this to build interest.

In fact, give me a few assistants and a conference room and a few flip charts and I'll come up with a proper plan (these are just a few spontaneous thoughts put down while the aftermath of the England game v Macedonia plays out on 5Live)!!!

It's all about making stuff happen proactively as opposed to relying on people to watch Sky or go to the ECB or Counties' or BBC website.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Their's some very good ideas there Tennisman. A lot of them seem like they should already be happening but aren't.
    Probably shows how much of our (sports) media are controlled by agents/PR companies with a vested interest in their clients. These guys seem to have unlimited access to getting their clients names in the press/tv regularly. That's probably why Flintoff has such a high profile .

I'd hope that someone from tptb reads your post and 'steals' your ideas !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks David.

They were just thoughts and snapshot ideas.

Overall, what I'm getting at is an attitude by the ECB, Counties and the media to up the profile, especially of the County game..

The other night on 5Live we have the Tuffers and Vaughan programme.

This show is a good opportunity to be a foundation for communicating cricket news but it descends into laddish chat about the England team and the latest match.

In some ways, international cricket with the vast volume of it played, has taken over in the sports' public consciousness from the County game.

Where once, people would be checking the billboards or Evening Standard stop press column on whether Surrey had enforced the follow-on, now, if you listen to the radio a lot as I do working from home, you are wired into the latest international match.

This international positioning is better than nothing but should be used as a platform for discussing and debating the County game.

If the media do not discuss it nor the ECB try and gain a better share of voice in the media about it, why should people be interested.

In a competitive sports marketplace, the County game is now the preserve of a small group of us; a niche group for what has become a niche sport. How could this be?

Cricket will never take on football in the media but there are days when I want to turn off the radio because I'm getting sick of it; with cricket, it's the other extreme - I know something about England but NOTHING about anything below international level.

The County game is communicated in the media a bit like the Conference and the non league pyramid is communicated in football; the information is available on the internet and through some publications, but you've got to go and find it.

So the attitude change I would want from the cricket family is to recognise this and start chipping away at it.
    Forum Member
    The county cricket season has now started with a few university games . Interesting to see that Bairstow is playing for Yorkshire, he'll need a few runs to get into the Test team , and that Adam Lyth is the first batsman out this season .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well here's my season opener plug.

A really good book written by an amateur of the time, Charles Williams (Oxford University and Essex) about the last few years of the amateur / professional divide in the 1950's.

I read it in a couple of hours - very evocative of the times.

But all that MCC bureaucracy with committee after committee being set up - Ugh;

http://www.goalsandwickets.co.uk/cricket/cricket-editorial/your-scorecard-should-read-titmus-f-j-not-f-j-titmus-charles-williams-book-on-the-demise-of-crickets-amateur-professional-divide/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The new season kicks off today :)

Thought I'd put the odds on how the bookies see the season going so we can look back in September to see how accurate they were !

First Division

Warwicks 4/1
    Notts 9/2
    Someset 5/1
    Durham 6/1
    Surrey 6/1
    Middlesex 13/2
    Sussex 8/1
    Yorkshire 9/1
    Derbyshire 22/1

Second Division

Lancashire 11/4
    Hampshire 7/2
    Kent 4/1
    Worcestershire 6/1
    Essex 6/1
    Glamorgan 16/1
    Gloucestershire 18/1
    Northants 20/1
    Leicestershire 20/1

(I used Paddy Power for these odds)

Not sure about Lancs being favourites for Div 2. I would have Hants as favs
    Durham would be my favs in the top division
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those odds dont look a million miles away from what I'd imagine. As a Yorkie though I have to back our boys to at least stay up. I think we're a little short of batting though the pre-season form of Alex Lees has been encouraging. If he can seize his chance as the likes of Jonny Bairstow and Joe Root have done recently that will be a bonus. We've made a couple of decent signings in the bowling department with Liam Plunkett and Jack Brooks. If Adil Rashid re-discovers his mojo-recent spat notwithstanding AND we can some conditions conducive to spin bowling(!!) I think we'll be ok

Braving the elements later at Headingley. As long it's not snowing I'll be happy!!
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 102,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    As well as coverage of all the games online there will be live coverage on Radio 5 Extra every day............starts at 10.45 this morning

I'm guessing this coverage will give way to other things like a Championship football on saturday afternoon and of course TMS when the test matches begin
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hullboy wrote: »
    Those odds dont look a million miles away from what I'd imagine. As a Yorkie though I have to back our boys to at least stay up. I think we're a little short of batting though the pre-season form of Alex Lees has been encouraging. If he can seize his chance as the likes of Jonny Bairstow and Joe Root have done recently that will be a bonus. We've made a couple of decent signings in the bowling department with Liam Plunkett and Jack Brooks. If Adil Rashid re-discovers his mojo-recent spat notwithstanding AND we can some conditions conducive to spin bowling(!!) I think we'll be ok

Braving the elements later at Headingley. As long it's not snowing I'll be happy!!

Enjoy it, Hullboy.

Don't build too many glass trees on the Western Terrace!
    Forum Member
    Yorkshire have made a couple of good signings in Brooks and Plunkett. The old Yorks lad Shahzad is now with Notts , I have to admit I have doubts about him , but he has a new challenge and best of luck to him .

Notts have a very powerful batting line up, all internationals, so I hope they can actually not have to rely on Chris Read to bail them out as the has done in recent years .

Too cold for Trent Bridge today , but Friday looks a better bet .
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neighbour has gone down to Chester Le Street today, was 2.5c when things started...

It's just not cricket!
  • Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,019
    Forum Member
    Yorks haven't started well :(

18/4 :eek: - could be a long summer
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well that was a salutary lesson on our return to Division One. It was definitely a bowl first toss to win but by no means a 96 all out pitch. There was plenty of cloud about all day but a fair amount of sunshine and it almost felt warm at times. Anyon kept it tight at first-Alex Lees' maiden championship knock of 6 took one hour 20. Chris Jordan bowled well but we gifted him some wickets. Chris Nash was the only player on either side who made batting look easy-as his 80 out of 104-3 showed. Sidey's 35 now but bowled beautifully and if we can get among the wickets early on tomorrow we can still keep in touch. With rain forecast though that may be our best hope of salvaging something from this.
  • randy toksvigrandy toksvig Posts: 275
    Forum Member
    On the 7.20 round-up on Five Live not only did we get a report from Kevin Howells but also reports from 2 other matches. I nearly fainted. They are still not giving the full scoreboard every hour but it's heading in the right direction.
    Forum Member
    Well that was a salutary lesson on our return to Division One. It was definitely a bowl first toss to win but by no means a 96 all out pitch. There was plenty of cloud about all day but a fair amount of sunshine and it almost felt warm at times. Anyon kept it tight at first-Alex Lees' maiden championship knock of 6 took one hour 20. Chris Jordan bowled well but we gifted him some wickets. Chris Nash was the only player on either side who made batting look easy-as his 80 out of 104-3 showed. Sidey's 35 now but bowled beautifully and if we can get among the wickets early on tomorrow we can still keep in touch. With rain forecast though that may be our best hope of salvaging something from this.
    On the 7.20 round-up on Five Live not only did we get a report from Kevin Howells but also reports from 2 other matches. I nearly fainted. They are still not giving the full scoreboard every hour but it's heading in the right direction.

I thought Sid was older than 35, just makes a mockery of Notts not offering him a new contract a couple of years ago. And Notts international batting line up failed to deliver, plenty of them getting in but not getting the big scores .

Very good coverage on Radio5, even the on line games had more than just the lone commentator
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Insomnia David?
    Forum Member
    tennisman wrote: »
    Insomnia David?

Indeed . I am an early riser , but not that early normally !.

Slightly off topic , but I wonder if you or any others can shed any light on something written in the Times last week .In a review of the 150th anniversary of Wisden they said that one of the 1911 Wisden Cricketers of the Year , Charles Llewellyn , was the first non white South African to play for South Africa.. He played for Hampshire for many years from about 1900 and was in the England squad for a Test , but was made 12th man .

I recall many years ago that The Cricketer magazine claimed that Charles Llewellyn was snubbed by his South African colleagues on tours , and they would not share a room with him , because of his supposed colour. In the next edition of the magazine his neice wrote to say that her uncle had never had any problems with his South African team mates and enjoyed touring with them, and furthermore he was most certainly not " coloured" in any way , and came from a white English background. From the odd blurred old photos i have seen of him , he looks white
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A new one on me.

Will ask some Wisden collector mates who I am meeting at the Knights auction specially for Wisdens at Leicester on Saturday.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    No play yet at Warks............R5 Extra have switched to Headingly

I see that as Lancs and Yorks are in different divisions they've arranged a 'friendly' 3 day Roses match for next week...........:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    No play yet at Warks............R5 Extra have switched to Headingly

I see that as Lancs and Yorks are in different divisions they've arranged a 'friendly' 3 day Roses match for next week...........:p

The ultimate oxymoron. Yorks-Lancs friendly? Whatever next! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The ultimate oxymoron. Yorks-Lancs friendly? Whatever next! :D

Did they play a roses match last year ?............we were in different divs then as well

Obviously it's the biggest match of the year for both counties so I expect they'll always try and schedule 'friendlies'..........:eek:........when they happen to be in different divs