Filming Wraps on 50th Special

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    DiscoP wrote: »
    lol. It's OK. I'm not that dangerous, honest. I'm not going to go marching over to Cardiff to demand some answers :)

I bet some nutter has.
  • Banks246Banks246 Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bet some nutter has.

*Whistles innocently*
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    I won't lie, I'm going to be a bit disappointed if the special ends up being only 60 minutes long, it just seems under-par for such a big anniversary. What makes the prospect especially irritating is the lack of episodes we're getting at the moment. I don't want to turn this into another tedious "series 7b is actually series 8" debate, but the fact is we're getting less Doctor Who in 2012/3 than we got in each consecutive year from 2005 - 2008 and 2010/11.

If the special turns out to be 90 minutes, then it will make up for that somewhat, but frankly I doubt this will be the case.

Having said that, quality is more important than quantity so if the 50th lives up to my expectations story-wise I won't be that disappointed.
  • mikey1980mikey1980 Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doctor Who is an incredible 50 YEARS old this year, a significant landmark for a cult television show loved and adored by millions of people spanning several generations, a show that's a successful profitable show for the BBC.

And what do we get? A 60 minute special with no returning characters from the original show.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm one if the McGann "WEIRDOS" as you call us. I will refrain from calling you names. Just thought I'd add that on twitter DoctorWhoOnline has confirmed that the anniversary episode will be only 60 minutes.

Well if McGann was 100 percent studio work the BBC wouldnt announce it.
  • LeslieGruffordLeslieGrufford Posts: 352
    Forum Member
    mikey1980 wrote: »
    Doctor Who is an incredible 50 YEARS old this year, a significant landmark for a cult television show loved and adored by millions of people spanning several generations, a show that's a successful profitable show for the BBC.

And what do we get? A 60 minute special with no returning characters from the original show.

You get the central character that has been in every single episode :D
  • Ben_FreemanBen_Freeman Posts: 326
    Forum Member
    When they film a Christmas special how many weeks filming is it for 60.minutes
  • C. SamuraiC. Samurai Posts: 362
    Forum Member

You don't know what we're getting. I'm fully expecting surprises and cameos, but even if we don't, I'm not fussed. I want to enjoy a story first and formost, and if that means omiting certain people so there's wiggle room for one, I don't mind it one bit. Anniversaries don't have to be celebrated a certain way.
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Trying to work out how long the episode is by comparing filming times to this, that, and the other may not be very accurate.

Remember, this is the first time DW has been shot in 3D, which is bound to have had an impact on schedule times.

For example, it may have taken them 5 weeks to achieve what they would normally do in just 4.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 249
    Forum Member
    When they film a Christmas special how many weeks filming is it for 60.minutes

About a month usually - give or take. The Doctor, The Widow and The Tardis started shooting 12th September 2011, finished 9th October 2011. I guess it all depends on whether we believe all that stuff reported about extras being required for shots before the filming proper started.

As a negative, we know that they've already filmed some prequel scenes and scenes for the Doctor Who Prom during the 1st April to 5th May schedule too.
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They may have wrapped the main shoot but there's always room for pickups and extra shots on this episode. It is 6 months away, after all...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was Billie Piper ever actually spotted filming?
    Forum Member
    Check_it wrote: »
    Was Billie Piper ever actually spotted filming?

Not outside no. Her role is said to be rather small compared to Tennant's. Tennant is believed to be playing Ten from the Specials year, so after Donna and after TenTwo. Billie is believed to be playing Rose from either Series 1, to represent the Eccleston year or post Doomsday but pre S4. I'm thinking it'll be the latter.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not outside no. Her role is said to be rather small compared to Tennant's. Tennant is believed to be playing Ten from the Specials year, so after Donna and after TenTwo. Billie is believed to be playing Rose from either Series 1, to represent the Eccleston year or post Doomsday but pre S4. I'm thinking it'll be the latter.

Personally I'd prefer if it were the former and it seems more likely to me considering that they wanted Eccleston to be in it.
    Forum Member
    Personally I'd prefer if it were the former and it seems more likely to me considering that they wanted Eccleston to be in it.

Doesn't make much sense to have Rose from the Nine year without Nine though. Her role would have been easy enough to rewrite if needed be. Personally I don't think Moffat had started writing the script proper when Eccleston was approached, he had the idea yes, but the script no.
  • Shandyman81Shandyman81 Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    They may have wrapped the main shoot but there's always room for pickups and extra shots on this episode. It is 6 months away, after all...

Yea but after Matt Smiths, it's fairly unlikely he'll be in for more film anytime soon, plus he's off making a film.
    About a month usually - give or take. The Doctor, The Widow and The Tardis started shooting 12th September 2011, finished 9th October 2011. I guess it all depends on whether we believe all that stuff reported about extras being required for shots before the filming proper started.

As a negative, we know that they've already filmed some prequel scenes and scenes for the Doctor Who Prom during the 1st April to 5th May schedule too.

3D takes a bit longer to shoot too, which will have an effect
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yea but after Matt Smiths, it's fairly unlikely he'll be in for more film anytime soon, plus he's off making a film.

Yes, but they might pick up things not requiring Matt Smith in them and he'll be back in Cardiff by the end of the summer to film the Christmas special so pickups can be done then.
    Forum Member
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    Yes, but they might pick up things not requiring Matt Smith in them and he'll be back in Cardiff by the end of the summer to film the Christmas special so pickups can be done then.

The Xmas ep isn't filming until mid Sep. Any pick ups involving Matt won't be done until then, the rest will be done over the summer as the actors required are available.
  • mikey1980mikey1980 Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C. Samurai wrote: »
    You don't know what we're getting. I'm fully expecting surprises and cameos, but even if we don't, I'm not fussed. I want to enjoy a story first and formost, and if that means omiting certain people so there's wiggle room for one, I don't mind it one bit. Anniversaries don't have to be celebrated a certain way.

Well actually, yes, we do know what we're getting more or less.
    Forum Member
    Well actually, yes, we do know what we're getting more or less.

Unless you have seen the script, or seen the rushes, or have travelled to November to see the finished episode, then all you know is what's been announced and what's been seen on outside shoots. Anything else you *think* you know is speculation. There's a bunch of stuff being filmed in studio, billie piper hasn't been seen filming, but we know she has filmed stuff as she was announced and Chris Evans confirmed she texted whilst there.

From other reports, there are lots of things to honour the anniversary, I won't go into detail for peeps that don't want to be spoiled. At best, we know about 30% of what is in the episode.
  • C. SamuraiC. Samurai Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    So now the magazine SciFiNow is saying the special will be 90 minutes.
    Forum Member
    C. Samurai wrote: »
    So now the magazine SciFiNow is saying the special will be 90 minutes.

Hmm but are they guessIng?
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,920
    Forum Member
    Surely it's got to be longer than 60 minutes if they're going to release it at cinema's?
  • GaladrielGaladriel Posts: 365
    Forum Member
    DiscoP wrote: »
    Surely it's got to be longer than 60 minutes if they're going to release it at cinema's?
    Unless they intend to double bill it with the BBC Docu-drama...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm going to guess it's 60+ mins, possibly 70. If it's dramatically shorter than 'The End of Time - Part 2' then that'd be a shame.