Poldark

Comments

• FayecorgasmFayecorgasm Posts: 29,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes, enchanting is a good description, I haven't read the books or seen the 1970's series and Aidan is new to me as I haven't seen him in anything else unfortunately, I was wondering if Ross's mother is still alive and, if so, where she is ..... and another thing, when Demelza thought Ross was out she looked in the trunk, found the dress and tried it on, so who did the dress originally belong to :confused:

Ross' mother died when Ross was about 11 his father never remarried and ravaged a few local girls had a reputation as a ladies man. Ross had a younger brother who died in childhood
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    Ross' mother died when Ross was about 11 his father never remarried and ravaged a few local girls had a reputation as a ladies man. Ross had a younger brother who died in childhood

So whose dress was it?
  • PretzelPretzel Posts: 7,858
    Forum Member
    Abriel wrote: »
    So whose dress was it?

It was his mothers (in the book anyway). I think she was called Grace IIRC.
  • seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    Pretzel wrote: »

A lovely name (my youngest is called Grace :D:D)

It's years since I read any of the books, and I must admit I got bored before reading them all (the ones which went past what was in the tv series). They just seemed to go on forever.
    Forum Member
    seejay63 wrote: »
    A lovely name (my youngest is called Grace :D:D)

It's years since I read any of the books, and I must admit I got bored before reading them all (the ones which went past what was in the tv series). They just seemed to go on forever.

Yes, it is a lovely name.

The books seem to go on forever, there's eleven -or is it twelve? This series is the first two books. I know that this new adaptation is popular but somehow I doubt that the cast would want that kind of commitment. But who knows?
  • TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dirtyhippy wrote: »
    I looked out for the UPVC downpipe in the village shot and was not disappointed..

I can't remember if it's been mentioned but there was a article in the Mail last week showing how they recreated Truro in Corsham. It's amazing what they can do!
  • anothermianothermi Posts: 647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A question for book readers...

It is clear that Ross's uncle did a lot better than Ross's father, money wise in the past, just by comparing the family homes. Ross's home is "humble" to say the least compared with Francis's home. I'm assuming that some of that is the result of the different philosophies of the two Poldark brothers (Ross's pa vs Uncle Charles). Ross's father felt compelled to pay a living wage to his workers but I don't think Uncle Charles had such notions, so his profit would have been substantially larger. Was there any other reason for the less ostentatious accommodation of Ross's ancestral home vs Francis's?

Edited because I meant to add that I noted that Ross seems equally "entitled" due to his Poldark lineage as Francis, but the comparative level of public ostentation is rather extreme. The home Ross returned to was only uncared for. It wasn't a reduction in circumstances due to the squandered resources. It was his childhood home - if I understand correctly. And it also seemed that Uncle Charle's home was one Ross was familiar with, so why the huge difference in display of wealth? Anybody know?
  • Mairi_CameronMairi_Cameron Posts: 350
    Forum Member
    anothermi wrote: »

It is clear that Ross's uncle did a lot better than Ross's father, money wise in the past, just by comparing the family homes. Ross's home is "humble" to say the least compared with Francis's home. I'm assuming that some of that is the result of the different philosophies of the two Poldark brothers (Ross's pa vs Uncle Charles). Ross's father felt compelled to pay a living wage to his workers but I don't think Uncle Charles had such notions, so his profit would have been substantially larger. Was there any other reason for the less ostentatious accommodation of Ross's ancestral home vs Francis's?

Edited because I meant to add that I noted that Ross seems equally "entitled" due to his Poldark lineage as Francis, but the comparative level of public ostentation is rather extreme. The home Ross returned to was only uncared for. It wasn't a reduction in circumstances due to the squandered resources. It was his childhood home - if I understand correctly. And it also seemed that Uncle Charle's home was one Ross was familiar with, so why the huge difference in display of wealth? Anybody know?

In one of the episodes Ross's uncle apologised to him for the fact he had, as the older brother, inherited the better house and mines on the death of their father, ie Ross's grandfather.
  • anothermianothermi Posts: 647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In one of the episodes Ross's uncle apologised to him for the fact he had, as the older brother, inherited the better house and mines on the death of their father, ie Ross's grandfather.
    Ah, thanks so much for that. I hadn't considered the second son angle. That explains a lot! Although both families descended from the "elite", the older one would have been the recipient of most of the monetary benefit.

That also explains a lot of the tension between Ross and Francis. Ross was the kind of son Charles wished he'd had. A capable. take charge kind of man. Not hard to see how Francis could become bitter about his cousin, Ross. Especially when his own father, on his death bed, wanted to utter his final words to his cousin and not him!
  • IndegIndeg Posts: 1,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anothermi wrote: »

Yes, I'm reading book one at the moment and it goes into a lot more detail about the history of the family. Trenwith is the ancestral home of the Poldarks, and was inherited by Charles as the oldest son, along with the family fortune - most of which is now gone. Ross's father Joshua had to make his own way in the world, opening several mines and building Nampara with the profit - but when the mines (and his wife) went, so did the building project, and the house was never really finished.
  • Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    lilirose wrote: »
    I am really loving this. Last night's episode was the best yet. Love the development of Ross and Demelza's love story. They have great chemistry.
    The only weak link is Elizabeth. The woman has the personality of a wet fish.
    What is she like in the books?
    She's not so much a "wet fish" as disappointed and resentful over something that really wasn't her fault and she now has to live with it as best she can.

She was engaged to Ross before he went to war in America. They all heard that he was dead so she had to come to some other arrangement for marriage for her parents' sake because they weren't as financially secure as they needed to be in society. So she agreed to marry Francis who had the name. the money and the status. Then Ross returned, but she was already committed to Francis.

She would have been a social outcast if she had abandoned Francis for Ross. She wasn't the type of person who could cope with that, so she went ahead with the marriage even though she still loved Ross. Then when Ross married Demelza any chance she ever had of getting back with him had gone. She saw Ross fall in love with Demelza.

So she was trapped in a marriage to someone she didn't love and Francis was aware that she'd have preferred to be with Ross so there was tension between them. She used the excuse of childbirth to reject Francis' advances and he spent nights away in Truro with **** and gambling away his money as a result. So she's a very unhappy person just doing what she had to fulfil her obligations. She was never going to show the type of spontaneity that Demelza does because of the way she was brought up.
  • streetwisestreetwise Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loved this episode. The gazing out to sea...pilchard watch. The plucked harp string...what key is it in? Pie wrestling. House shaking explosions. It had the lot.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    streetwise wrote: »
    Loved this episode. The gazing out to sea...pilchard watch. The plucked harp string...what key is it in? Pie wrestling. House shaking explosions. It had the lot.

Love it. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Janet43 wrote: »
    She's not so much a "wet fish" as disappointed and resentful over something that really wasn't her fault and she now has to live with it as best she can.

She was engaged to Ross before he went to war in America. They all heard that he was dead so she had to come to some other arrangement for marriage for her parents' sake because they weren't as financially secure as they needed to be in society. So she agreed to marry Francis who had the name. the money and the status. Then Ross returned, but she was already committed to Francis.

She would have been a social outcast if she had abandoned Francis for Ross. She wasn't the type of person who could cope with that, so she went ahead with the marriage even though she still loved Ross. Then when Ross married Demelza any chance she ever had of getting back with him had gone. She saw Ross fall in love with Demelza.

So she was trapped in a marriage to someone she didn't love and Francis was aware that she'd have preferred to be with Ross so there was tension between them. She used the excuse of childbirth to reject Francis' advances and he spent nights away in Truro with **** and gambling away his money as a result. So she's a very unhappy person just doing what she had to fulfil her obligations. She was never going to show the type of spontaneity that Demelza does because of the way she was brought up.

I see you are much kinder to Elizabeth than I am.

In my mind she was a cold hearted schemer. Francis said she was being kind to Demelza in order to impress Ross with her niceness, not out of sincere feeling, and that about sums her up.
    Forum Member
    I see you are much kinder to Elizabeth than I am.

In my mind she was a cold hearted schemer. Francis said she was being kind to Demelza in order to impress Ross with her niceness, not out of sincere feeling, and that about sums her up.

I see her as somewhere in between the two extremes. If Elizabeth is a schemer then she's not a terribly good one as she hardly ever gets what she wants.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see her as somewhere in between the two extremes. If Elizabeth is a schemer then she's not a terribly good one as she hardly ever gets what she wants.

She doesn't know what she wants. That's the tragedy. She doesn't want what she gets (except for Geoffrey Charles).
  • Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    She'd have been the wrong wife for Ross anyway. She's too restrained. He's a free spirit and can mix happily with his workers as well as understanding the social conventions. Demelza's much more suited to him.
  • MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've only just realised that Eleanor Tomlinson played the young Jessica Biel in The Illusionist, which is one of my favourite films.
    *Slaps self*
  • thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She doesn't know what she wants. That's the tragedy. She doesn't want what she gets (except for Geoffrey Charles).

Yes, Ross later calls the situation 'a tragedy of a beautiful woman who couldn't make up her mind'.

I have to disagree with the above poster who says that Elizabeth couldn't leave Francis. She explicitly tells Ross that she mistakenly thought she loved Francis more, only to change her mind later once already married.
  • ruby-tuesdayruby-tuesday Posts: 8,467
    Forum Member

thank you, as I said I haven't read the books so I didn't know anything about Ross before this programme
    Abriel wrote: »
    So whose dress was it?

I thought it must have been his mother's dress, what a coincidence that she was the same size as Demelza :D
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My boss said "I'm a straight bloke and I'd shag him myself" It is really getting too much all the women are obsessed and now this! He is just encouraging them.
  • GloriaSnockersGloriaSnockers Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HarkAtHer wrote: »
    I've no complaints about watching a beautiful man on a beautiful horse galloping along the Cornish clifftops. They can show it as much as they like. I'll die happier for having seen it :).

I agree, but it did make me smile when Demelza spoke to her dog and said something like 'He be late tonight. I wonder where he be?' My immediate thought was 'He be on his 'orse, galloping along the clifftop, that's where he be!' And then the very next scene showed him galloping home along the clifftop on his horse :)

I honestly can't picture Elizabeth living at Nampara as Ross's wife, but I'm not surprised that Jud and Prudie eventually decided that Ross could have done a lot worse than Demelza :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Janet43 wrote: »
    She'd have been the wrong wife for Ross anyway. She's too restrained. He's a free spirit and can mix happily with his workers as well as understanding the social conventions. Demelza's much more suited to him.

I can't imagine she'd muck in on the farm, like Demelza does, feeding the calves and making the pies. She'd need a servant just to look after her.
    Muggsy wrote: »
    I've only just realised that Eleanor Tomlinson played the young Jessica Biel in The Illusionist, which is one of my favourite films.
    *Slaps self*

Is she? One of my favourites, too. :)
    My boss said "I'm a straight bloke and I'd shag him myself" It is really getting too much all the women are obsessed and now this! He is just encouraging them.

Well, Hunk, there's only one answer as far as I can see.....if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. You'll have to develop a man crush on our gorgeous Aidan. :D
  • Andy-BAndy-B Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member
    They've been digging that mine for so long I thought they'd struck Ireland.

How come the dog is happy to sleep by itself now?
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    lola_skye wrote: »
    I feel bad for Demeleza because he doesn't love her
    He does now !!
    lola_skye wrote: »
    The other lady is going to teacher Demeleza how to be a lady
    Verity is such a lovely person.
    haphash wrote: »

Great swansong from Warren Clarke in his last performance. He was great, shame he is no longer with us.
    One of my very favourite actors
    streetwise wrote: »
    Gazing out to sea. What's all that about ?????