Options

LBC General Chit-Chat (Part 30)

Comments

• Options
    connor the judgconnor the judg Posts: 8,961
    Forum Member
    So I switch on LBC thinking they will be covering it and I hear Clive Bull saying he will be doing a business show. Odd decision I think.
  • Options
    BurlyBeaRBurlyBeaR Posts: 5,696
    Forum Member
    So I switch on LBC thinking they will be covering it and I hear Clive Bull saying he will be doing a business show. Odd decision I think.

They should have Iain Dale doing a run up for an hour before the debate and then the reaction for an hour after. I'm sure they could shuffle the presenters around so he wasn't doing a 6 hour shift. Put Payne on for the first couple of hours of Drive maybe? It's not rocket science.
  • Options
    thewilsonthewilson Posts: 1,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Listened to some of Drive earlier on the subject of bystander intervention. Dale admitted to chickening out of remonstrating with an abusive language spouter on the grounds that the perpetrator was larger than his own 6' 2" bulk. Iain, I think people worked out some time ago the basis on which you pick your targets, following your cowardly assault on that small, frail, older person in Brighton who dared to hold a placard.
    Full marks for nerve and an apparent lack of self awareness, if not arrogance.
  • Options
    redvers36redvers36 Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James O'Brien seems to have had a personality transplant and for some reason I am finding him creepier than I normally do. His geniality is so bizarre I cannot take him seriously and I am waiting for him to revert to type. Very confusing.

Probably he has been shaken by his experience on O'Brien on ITV. The bullyboy tactics of cutting callers off which he so regularly deploys on the radio is not available on television. So he will be nice to everyone but I doubt it will last long.
  • Options
    gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BurlyBeaR wrote: »
    If you listened, rather than watched let me update you on the fashion.

Ed: Black suit, white shirt, grey tie. Nothing to criticise. Has been advised.
    Nicola: Soft, unstructured pewter/dark grey suit with matching blouse. Matching heels to die for. Has been styled but it's still Jeanette Krankie.
    Nigel: Pinstripe grey, blue shirt, brightly coloured tie. Maverick.
    Natalie. Grey grey grey. Drab pendant hanging limply round her neck. Tragic. Get help dear.
    Leanne: hi de hi. (Ho de ho!)

Nige's suit looked more light brown than grey. Taupe possibly? Very nice bit of tailoring though. He'd definitely been styled.
  • Options
    CayceCayce Posts: 9,845
    Forum Member
    If you listened, rather than watched let me update you on the fashion.

Ed: Black suit, white shirt, grey tie. Nothing to criticise. Has been advised.
    Nicola: Soft, unstructured pewter/dark grey suit with matching blouse. Matching heels to die for. Has been styled but it's still Jeanette Krankie.
    Nigel: Pinstripe grey, blue shirt, brightly coloured tie. Maverick.
    Natalie. Grey grey grey. Drab pendant hanging limply round her neck. Tragic. Get help dear.
    Leanne: hi de hi. (Ho de ho!)

:D:D:D
  • Options
    The_SleeperThe_Sleeper Posts: 201,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    He'd definitely been styled.

the same as BOJO ? :p:D
  • Options
    BurlyBeaRBurlyBeaR Posts: 5,696
    Forum Member
    Nige's suit looked more light brown than grey. Taupe possibly? Very nice bit of tailoring though. He'd definitely been styled.

I agree. He usually looks smart/the part.

Must be a nightmare being a female candidate and being styled (or not, Natalie).

I wonder how differently it came over if you were a listener rather than a viewer?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't know if it would have come across well on radio. It got quite confused and shoutie at times. Blimey, that Sturgeon woman is a harridan! You can imagine her behind the bar at the Queen Vic - 'Get oota ma pub!'
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I agree. He usually looks smart/the part.

Must be a nightmare being a female candidate and being styled (or not, Natalie).

I wonder how differently it came over if you were a listener rather than a viewer?
    I think that the analysis is more important to LBC as most will be watching during the debate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't know if it would have come across well on radio. It got quite confused and shoutie at times. Blimey, that Sturgeon woman is a harridan! You can imagine her behind the bar at the Queen Vic - 'Get oota ma pub!'
    I thought that Nigel Farage came across worst. talking over Bennett when it was her go and him having a go at the audience.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought that Nigel Farage came across worst. talking over Bennett when it was her go and him having a go at the audience.

It was a typical BBC audience; they clapped everybody but Farage. They were probably bussed straight over to the Question Time studio.

Sorry - drifting off topic.
  • Options
    Hey_HoHey_Ho Posts: 2,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    redvers36 wrote: »
    Probably he has been shaken by his experience on O'Brien on ITV. The bullyboy tactics of cutting callers off which he so regularly deploys on the radio is not available on television. So he will be nice to everyone but I doubt it will last long.

You're right, he'll soon revert to kind.
  • Options
    Hey_HoHey_Ho Posts: 2,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thewilson wrote: »
    Listened to some of Drive earlier on the subject of bystander intervention. Dale admitted to chickening out of remonstrating with an abusive language spouter on the grounds that the perpetrator was larger than his own 6' 2" bulk. Iain, I think people worked out some time ago the basis on which you pick your targets, following your cowardly assault on that small, frail, older person in Brighton who dared to hold a placard.
    Full marks for nerve and an apparent lack of self awareness, if not arrogance.

This.
  • Options
    clitheroe1clitheroe1 Posts: 4,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a typical BBC audience; they clapped everybody but Farage. They were probably bussed straight over to the Question Time studio.

Sorry - drifting off topic.

As David Dimbleby pointed out it wasn't a BBC audience, it was an audience selected by pollsters to reflect the spectrum and balance of opinions that exist in the country. I have no idea what is a "typical BBC audience", maybe you can enlighten us.
  • Options
    Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UKIP got a 28% share of the vote the last time there was a national election. They poll anywhere between 8% and 15% in current opinion polls. Didn't look or sound to me like there was anything like that proportion in that audience tonight. It's the BBC though, so who's surprised.
  • Options
    Charlie DrakeCharlie Drake Posts: 3,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clitheroe1 wrote: »
    As David Dimbleby pointed out it wasn't a BBC audience, it was an audience selected by pollsters to reflect the spectrum and balance of opinions that exist in the country. I have no idea what is a "typical BBC audience", maybe you can enlighten us.
    You're absolutely correct, as usual. I had direct personal experience of how the cross-section was gathered, including which questions would be asked. As you say, nothing whatsoever to do with it being a 'BBC audience'.
  • Options
    Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're absolutely correct, as usual. I had direct personal experience of how the cross-section was gathered, including which questions would be asked. As you say, nothing whatsoever to do with it being a 'BBC audience'.

I'm afraid the 'I'm in on a secret' line doesn't cut the mustard. We all heard the audience in action and are perfectly able to draw our own conclusions therefrom.
  • Options
    makeba72makeba72 Posts: 5,723
    Forum Member
    UKIP got a 28% share of the vote the last time there was a national election. They poll anywhere between 8% and 15% in current opinion polls. Didn't look or sound to me like there was anything like that proportion in that audience tonight. It's the BBC though, so who's surprised.
    I'm afraid the 'I'm in on a secret' line doesn't cut the mustard. We all heard the audience in action and are perfectly able to draw our own conclusions therefrom.

On the other hand, I have more confidence in someone who has direct personal experience of how a cross-section audience is gathered than in someone who thinks they can spot the percentage of UKIP voters in an audience just by looking at them...
  • Options
    tahititahiti Posts: 3,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    perfectly able to draw our own conclusions therefrom.

Turns out the Leader of the VolksArmee does not like the Volk much?
  • Options
    chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Boris' and Chicken George's last LBC publicity shot:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BusHaGPCYAI_U74.jpg:large
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Anyone heard the Elvita Breakfast Biscuits advert? It's up there with some of the worst ever on LBC . >:(>:(>:( *Scratches fingers across blackboard* :o
  • Options
    clitheroe1clitheroe1 Posts: 4,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There is no secret: the pollsters Ipsos Mori selected the audience. All potential audience members have to complete a questionnaire covering a range of political issues and the audience is selected based on their responses and to be representative of the wider public.
  • Options
    TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It sounded just like an edition of Question Time, only with more on the panel, and so did the audience. I was surprised they went over to Clive Bull afterwards though, it broke the mood and disrupted the obvious 'we'll, what did you think of that?' Follow-up.
This discussion has been closed.