What do you do for a living

Comments

• Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funny old country. We have degree qualified people flipping burgers and wiping bottoms.

Because there are now too many people with degrees than there are jobs that require them. I think we now have a generation who have been sold a lie that getting a degree was pretty much a guarantee of a bright future when employers are now more interested in experience than educational qualifications
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Libitina wrote: »
    I'm a theatre nurse and proud of it. Only time I'm not, is in those 'Is there a Dr or nurse on board?' type scenarios. ;)

I'm a psychiatric nurse.
  • Seamus SweeneySeamus Sweeney Posts: 3,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What do you do for a living

I'm a complete scrounger. Ideal subject material for the intellectually challenged who sit there drooling over their microwave dinners, whilst angrily waving their fists at the screen watching Benefits Britain, in order to really 'know what's what' with those on benefits.

Ironic to feel sorry for those with jobs who are so stupid as to be taken in by this junk as representative of having to live life on benefits. Still..Enough geniuses combined to vote the Tories back in, without the faintest idea of what their manifesto was it seems.

A certain poster here genuinely regarded it as 'proof' that the Tories were the party of the 'working class.'

Oh dear. He didn't get any ribbing at all :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JT2060 wrote: »
    No mention of living in a certain part of Essex or supporting West Ham? :)

:D:D:D

My mate is a black cab driver who lives in Gidea Park. About every third house has a cab in the drive and, yes, he's at Upton Park today
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well he is nobody.
    Might be somebody to friends and family, but he's nobody to the rest of the world.
    Nothing wrong with a bit of perspective IMO.

No he isn't. The company he works for not giving him a proper contract or paying him a decent wage doesn't mean he's him a nobody.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well a good 99% of the people you meet are c***s IMO, yet to be proved wrong.
    Save a lot of bother, don't bunny with them at all, if you can avoid it.

Are you among the 1%?
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Miss XYZ wrote: »
    No he isn't. The company he works for not giving him a proper contract or paying him a decent wage doesn't mean he's him a nobody.

Well that's not what is said, so that's OK then isn't it?
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do not work
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm an EA in the Treasury Department of an investment bank. Which basically means I babysit adults and organise the proverbial piss up's in breweries
  • Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,830
    Forum Member
    Well a good 99% of the people you meet are c***s IMO, yet to be proved wrong.
    Save a lot of bother, don't bunny with them at all, if you can avoid it.

What a sad post. Most people I meet are far from perfect; just like me; but at least I have some company.
    Forum Member
    Blondie X wrote: »
    Because there are now too many people with degrees than there are jobs that require them. I think we now have a generation who have been sold a lie that getting a degree was pretty much a guarantee of a bright future when employers are now more interested in experience than educational qualifications

Well we've had a stripping out of many jobs, lots of middle management/middle class jobs are going/gone.
    The oldest boy with his degree and 6 letters after his name is earning more than I am, oldest girl isn't too far behind him.
    Two youngest are expecting to gain degrees too.

Isn't this OT though?
  • WinterLilyWinterLily Posts: 6,304
    Forum Member
    JT2060 wrote: »
    It is a degree course now, so all ideas of being a vocation have gone.

In my day yes, but not now.

I have been a nurse for 39 years. Am now semi-retired and work part time as a district nurse.

I still had bills to pay back then.

Btw I am very impressed by the majority of student nurses of today.
  • Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    Well he is nobody.
    Might be somebody to friends and family, but he's nobody to the rest of the world.

In that case, all of us can be categorised as a nobody.
  • WinterLilyWinterLily Posts: 6,304
    Forum Member
    Well he is nobody.

As the majority of people have some family and friends then most people are somebody to someone.:)
    Forum Member
    Jane Doh! wrote: »
    In that case, all of us can be categorised as a nobody.

Exactly, total perspective vortex keep zooming out, you'll find a perspective that levels everyone out.
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well he is nobody.
    Agreed, actually. Most of us are 'nobody' outside of family and friends. TV and films encourage people to think they are important and affect the world when in fact most of us could vanish overnight and the world would continue without noticing.
  • Another POVAnother POV Posts: 2,214
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Full time Carer for my Dad, like I was for my Mum.
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WinterLily wrote: »
    I have been a nurse for 39 years. Am now semi-retired and work part time as a district nurse.

I still had bills to pay back then.

Btw I am very impressed by the majority of student nurses of today.
    Me too, the hospital that put my stent in last week was a teaching hospital and the nurses with only one or two exceptions were professional, friendly and worked bloody hard for a living.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Where are the people that usually claim to be in the police, SAS etc on threads like this?
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »
    Agreed, actually. Most of us are 'nobody' outside of family and friends. TV and films encourage people to think they are important and affect the world when in fact most of us could vanish overnight and the world would continue without noticing.

Actually, being a nobody can have some benefit. Isn't there an old legend in which someone chucks an enemy into the ocean, and the enemy shouts "who are you", then the person replies "Nobody, I am nobody". When rescuers try to reach the stricken person, they ask "who did this to you", to which the reply was "Nobody, nobody did this"

Or something like that - but the moral is clear. You can getaway with much in the anonymity of being a nobody.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I'm a zero hours, minimum wage nobody in a food factory

Nobody is a 'nobody'.
  • Wee TinkersWee Tinkers Posts: 12,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't really understand people being coy about what they do. Don't know anyone who's shady about it. It's just what you do, innit.

I've found it does come up in casual conversation a lot. Like they'll mention trying to get time off for a holiday or whatever or mention they've a lot on in work/they're knackered and it just seems natural to ask where they work or what they do. No biggie. Rarely due to snobbery.

I wonder if those who are funny about it either feel inferior, like they should be doing better, OR secretly feel superior but don't want to seem boastful. :-p

I'm a nurse but only do it at the weekends and holidays now preferring to work as a classroom assistant as my main job even though the money isn't great. I love it. I'll bore anyone who'll listen yakking on about it.

Mind you, you could probably guess my job by looking at me; I usually have blue tack and tissue paper stuck to my shoes, poster paint on my top and bizarre loom necklaces on that the kids make for me or a dandelion 'flower' in my hair they picked. :blush:
  • QT 3.14QT 3.14 Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do teh science.
  • The MartianThe Martian Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I test new and prototype products for everyone from the Government to a new branch of Bob's Bistro down the street.

My last job was to test a little Fob for a very well known British media company. It was used along with a prototype smartphone app to do really cool things.

The best job was driving a 2015 Nissan GT-R NISMO 3 from The European Transport Safety Council in Brussels to Monza in Italy, all expenses paid. One of the tasks I had to undertake was driving at a constant 150mph for 1 hour and 175mph for 15mins anywhere between Leverkusen and Würzburg. :cool: :D

The strangest job was to wear a wire in a certain restaurant, order a table for one and spend as close to £60 as possible. The pay was also the most bizarre: £333, WTF?

Wages can be between £10 and £200 per hour. I don't work everyday and sometimes have weeks between projects, but on average it works out at around £100.000 pa.

It's boring shit you do at home 90% of the time. I can't talk about the project I'm working on 100% of the time, or else. :o

My job is almost impossible to get unless you know someone, somewhere.
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    QT 3.14 wrote: »
    I do teh science.

Maybe you can help me out with something?

If ice floats, why is Antarctica at the bottom of the Earth?