Options

Is Series 5 really as popular as it seems?

daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,416
Forum Member
✭✭
Okay, slightly contentious thread title but read on and you'll see why I ask this question.

The poll of all the new who series clearly put Series 5 as a clear winner. Can't argue with those facts.

However, as I put on the RTD fans thread earlier, everyone I seem to have met outside of this forum has expressed disappointment in series 5, without any prompting from me. I reckon I have spoken to at least ten people who have told me this, some were fans, some were casual viewers. It wasn't all doom and gloom, most of them liked Matt Smith, a couple said there were good episodes but overall it was disappointing. Then I read some similar things on the RTD Fans thread and the lacking thread I started mid-series certainly threw up a mixed bag of views. So considering the poll was quite good, I'm scratching my head thinking and wondering if Series 5 appeals more to the fans than to the casual viewer? Why is what Im hearing and reading flying in the face of a really positive poll?

I'm just wondering what others have heard from people outside the forum and if they have heard similar views. Maybe you've heard lots of good views and you'd like to share them, I dare say you have!

I'm not using this thread as a Series 5 bash at all. I have actually defended a few episodes to said people above and I really wanted it to do well. I'm not dissing the poll from last week in anyway or disrespecting the result. I just interested in what others have to say on the matter. :)

Comments

• Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Why is what Im hearing and reading flying in the face of a really positive poll?

Because the small minority of whingers and whiners and 'I love David Tennant' fangirls are more vocal than those who just enjoyed it.

As for it not being a 'Let's bash series 5' thread, I'll sit back and watch it become just that.

Edit: And I don't personally know anyone who doesn't think i) that Matt Smith is an improvement on David 'one gurn and it's over' Tennant or ii) that series 5 is infinitely less infantile and ludicrous than a lot of stuff that came before it.
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    I think it has been disappointing for the casual viewers, everyone who has watched it that I know has not had many good things to say about it, which is sad as it had some good moments. I think there was too much change in one go for the casual viewer to stay interested.Nothing is the same, and that does not usually hapen at a regeneration, we usually have the TARDIS, or companions that are steady into the next series, and this time we didnt.

I will carry on watching because I am a life long fan, Doctors come and go, some you love, some you dont, but I will always watch even though I am not 100% keen on MS and his style, I will watch because I am a fan of the show, not of the actor who happens to be playing him at the time.
  • Options
    HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can say the opposite. Everyone I've spoken to has preferred this series over the last four. I even know a few people who didn't like it before that now love it.

Remember that whilst ten people that you know might seem a lot, it is a minor fraction of the millions who watch it. It should also be considered that friends are likely to have similar interests, so the statisics would be skewed by looking at a few people you happen to know. That's why things like AI ratings are designed to be a cross-section of society, encompassing people from a multitude of different backgrounds.

I'd say the evidence is pretty good that Series 5 has been generally well-received. Although there are groups of fans who don't like the changes, there are also new fans who've been attracted by the changes.
  • Options
    Jules 1Jules 1 Posts: 2,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay, slightly contentious thread title but read on and you'll see why I ask this question.

The poll of all the new who series clearly put Series 5 as a clear winner. Can't argue with those facts.

However, as I put on the RTD fans thread earlier, everyone I seem to have met outside of this forum has expressed disappointment in series 5, without any prompting from me. I reckon I have spoken to at least ten people who have told me this, some were fans, some were casual viewers. It wasn't all doom and gloom, most of them liked Matt Smith, a couple said there were good episodes but overall it was disappointing. Then I read some similar things on the RTD Fans thread and the lacking thread I started mid-series certainly threw up a mixed bag of views. So considering the poll was quite good, I'm scratching my head thinking and wondering if Series 5 appeals more to the fans than to the casual viewer? Why is what Im hearing and reading flying in the face of a really positive poll?

I'm just wondering what others have heard from people outside the forum and if they have heard similar views. Maybe you've heard lots of good views and you'd like to share them, I dare say you have!

I'm not using this thread as a Series 5 bash at all. I have actually defended a few episodes to said people above and I really wanted it to do well. I'm not dissing the poll from last week in anyway or disrespecting the result. I just interested in what others have to say on the matter. :)

Most people I speak to in the real world tend to find this series disappointing, not awful by any means but missing that spark.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 210
    Forum Member
    a few of my friends were saying that amy was a bit disappointing. and they say that her ability to solve problems fast was unbelievable, for example in the Beast below.

personally i disagree with this.

majority of people i have rtalked to have also said how much they have liked matt smith, when before they thought they never would. some were also disapointed with the last episode.

overall though, i think most people were pleasently surprised
  • Options
    Pistol WhipPistol Whip Posts: 9,677
    Forum Member
    You just can't help yourself can you, Kapellmeister? :rolleyes: Why you couldn't of just had an opinion without resorting to slagging off DT or pre-5 series I don't know. One post into a thread too, must be a personal best.

My opinion? I don't think series 5 is as popular as people think in the grander scheme of things.
  • Options
    daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because the small minority of whingers and whiners and 'I love David Tennant' fangirls are more vocal than those who just enjoyed it.

As for it not being a 'Let's bash series 5' thread, I'll sit back and watch it become just that.

Edit: And I don't personally know anyone who doesn't think i) that Matt Smith is an improvement on David 'one gurn and it's over' Tennant or ii) that series 5 is infinitely less infantile and ludicrous than a lot of stuff that came before it.

I think you'll find I said 'I'm not having a Series 5 bash', meaning me personally!
    Helbore wrote: »
    I can say the opposite. Everyone I've spoken to has preferred this series over the last four. I even know a few people who didn't like it before that now love it.

Remember that whilst ten people that you know might seem a lot, it is a minor fraction of the millions who watch it. It should also be considered that friends are likely to have similar interests, so the statisics would be skewed by looking at a few people you happen to know. That's why things like AI ratings are designed to be a cross-section of society, encompassing people from a multitude of different backgrounds.

I'd say the evidence is pretty good that Series 5 has been generally well-received. Although there are groups of fans who don't like the changes, there are also new fans who've been attracted by the changes.

Yes, I find it weird that all ten said the same thing. And as I said, I'm knocking the figures. That wasn't my point. What I was saying was that what I hear and read seems to fly in the face of the poll. I just find it curious that's all, maybe I'm The Doctor in disguise! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Helbore wrote: »

I agree. As was said on another thread, it's swings and roundabouts. You lose some here and you gain some there. I hope RTD fans who have taken an active dislike to series 5 now know how I felt having to sit through total crap like The Doctor's Daughter, Daleks in Manhattan, Fear Her, Aliens of London, The Last of the Time Lords, The Idiot's Lantern, Planet of the Dead and The End of Time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    I've had the same experience as you in that the people I know who I used to chat to about Doctor Who didn't really enjoy series 5, and some don't watch it at all anymore (if you want a count, I'd say about 12-15 people? And a few under 10s as well), and I didn't enjoy it as much as I'd hoped either. I don't think it's fair to suggest that people who don't like it are whingers who can't handle the change of Doctor or 'more intelligent scripts' etc. That's like saying the ONLY valid opinion is total love of the series, and anything else is unreasonable :confused: It would be interesting to see what a poll in DW Magazine, or a national newspaper would say, re: the best series of New Who (for me it is series 4, by a LONG shot).

I think we can debate forever whether it was good or bad and the reasons why, but it's so subjective that people are never going to agree. I don't think this series has really been the 'event telly' that the show has been in the past, but it's clearly still pulling in the viewers, and I'm sure for every 'lost' fan, there are probably new ones just starting to watch. I think the next series will be the real tester.
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    most of the viewers clearly are enjoying the series, hence the high AI the series has received throughout. Anecdotal evidence really is not helpful, for every person that says they know no one that liked the series you'll find someone else that says that everyone they know has loved it, and usually there seems to be a correlation between how the individual in question feels about the series, which is quite suggestive and a good reason anecdotal evidence is of little use.

And unfortunately, this thread will in moments become yet another "lets all slate off series 5" thread regardless of the intentions of the OP (which I know aren't that way inclined, but the thread title will be like honey to the flies), and I really have no wish to go through it all again, so I think I'll leave it there.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I guess we will know whether or not the success of the recent series is as the polls suggest after Christmas ep and during series 6, or whether during series 6, the ratings decline.

I think that series 6 will be as strong if not stronger as series 5 and the polls probably reflect the same audience who shared the same opinion during RTD's tenure.

There have always been and always will be people who prefer particular era's and who find new phases of the show disappointing.

So, we have people who haven't enjoyed it as much this year (I am one of them). But, equally there were people who didn't enjoy the previous era. It's just now we have something to compare. I still love DW though and am already counting the days until Christmas.

It is however a little self opinionated of you to suggest that DT wasn't a good Doctor. He was a fantastic Doctor. Very very popular. Matt Smith though may surpass his popularity in a couple of years.....he may not. It isn't fair to slag DT off just because "you" didn't like him. For the record I think Matt is fantastic too.
  • Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    I've asked a few friends who I know had been watching for the last few years (but were never real hard-core DW "fans") whether they'd been watching this series, and a worrying number said "no".
    The quoted reason was the same in every case "I don't like the new Doctor".
    Shows what a hard act to follow David Tennant was, like him or loathe him.
    It took me a while to adjust to Matt Smith's interpretation, simply because it was so different.
    I like him very much now, but sadly I suspect a lot of people didn't give it long enough to make the adjustment.
    :)
  • Options
    HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I find it weird that all ten said the same thing. And as I said, I'm knocking the figures. That wasn't my point. What I was saying was that what I hear and read seems to fly in the face of the poll. I just find it curious that's all, maybe I'm The Doctor in disguise! :D

Like I said, though, my experience is the exact opposite. Everyone I have spoken to think Series 5 is the best yet. They all love Matt Smith and they all love Karen Gillan.

If the people you spoke to are friends, isn't it possible they have similar likes/dislikes? That would be likely, as it would explain why you are friends with them. Similarly, my friends are likely to have similar tastes to me and the result is all my friends loved this year as much as I did.

Think of it this way; I also know a bunch of people who have hated all 5 years of Doctor Who and probably would have hated all 31 years of it, had I known them all that time.

Such evidence says more about social circles than it does about the overall performance of the show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. As was said on another thread, it's swings and roundabouts. You lose some here and you gain some there. I hope RTD fans who have taken an active dislike to series 5 now know how I felt having to sit through total crap like The Doctor's Daughter, Daleks in Manhattan, Fear Her, Aliens of London, The Last of the Time Lords, The Idiot's Lantern, Planet of the Dead and The End of Time.

Was Victory for the Daleks better than Daleks in Manhattan, no it was far worse. (IMO)

In fact I liked The Doctor's Daughter, Daleks in Manhattan, , Aliens of London (much better than the WW3 episode that followed it). The Last of the Time Lords, Planet of the Dead and The End of Time

The redeeming feature for Season 6 was that the second half was much better than the first.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 210
    Forum Member
    i think it all comes down to how some people took the regeneration.

some saw the change as ruining the show.

others took it as the show moving on and regeneration being part of the doctors timeline.
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jules 1 wrote: »
    Was Victory for the Daleks better than Daleks in Manhattan, no it was far worse.

All subjective. I loved Victory of the Daleks, as will many people out there, else it won't have got an AI of 84.;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    All subjective. I loved Victory of the Daleks, as will many people out there, else it won't have got an AI of 84.;)

That's why I've got a (IMO) after it, It also got disappointing ratings on this site as well. No need for the sarcy smiley either. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having spoken to friends, family my kids etc I'd have to say there's an even share of love it/ hate it. Many love MS but prefer DT. Some friends kids have totally fallen for the new series, while some have lost interest altogether. On the whole not much different from the last change of Doctor. I have noticed a huge amount of PR on this series and I wonder if the next series will have as much impact as this one.
    I can't say I'm totally blown over by this series but there's no denying it's success, shouldn't we be glad of this?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BibaNova wrote: »
    I can't say I'm totally blown over by this series but there's no denying it's success, shouldn't we be glad of this?

I think some on here won't be happy until Moffat is sacked and Dr Gurn is brought back to replace Matt Smith.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »

Yes it is all subjective I agree. Series 1-4 had some excellent stories, many (infact most) I loved. The episodes I love such as Voyage of the Damned is constantly slagged off, but just because I like it and others don't, doesnt make it a bad episode. The same as Victory of The Daleks. I didn't particularly like the episode but many did, therefore it can not be a "bad" episode. It's just that I didn't like it. If DW was made just to solely include episodes "I" or anyone else likes, then it would be a dull show indeed.

Incidentally, the trend hasn't altered. As we progress during the next couple of seasons, the series will feature many "subjective" episodes where some love them, other's hate them. None of these episodes will be "bad" though.
  • Options
    nwhitfieldnwhitfield Posts: 4,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sams83 wrote: »
    It would be interesting to see what a poll in DW Magazine, or a national newspaper would say, re: the best series of New Who

That, to a large extent, is what the AI is - a statistically relevant measure of how much people appreciate the show.

It received extremely good AIs (as did previous series). So, given that, and if you accept that AIs are an accurate reflection, (and they have a better statistical analysis than any straw poll), then I think a pretty fair conclusion would be that the series is still popular.

It may be the case that some people who liked it didn't, and some people who didn't like it now do, but broadly, I don't think you can look at the AIs, then turn round and say "actually these must be wrong, because my mates didn't enjoy it."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone have the AI for previous series.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think some on here won't be happy until Moffat is sacked and Dr Gurn is brought back to replace Matt Smith.

I reiterate my point in post number 12. It is totally unfair to slag off DT's portrayal of the Doctor just because "you" didn't like him. He was a fantastic Doctor and very popular.

Matt is different and refreshing, but not in a "thank God DT has gone way" but in a way that keeps the show fresh and alive. Matt may or may not surpass the popularity of DT. That will never undermine DT's passion he showed while playing the character.
  • Options
    Salford_WhoSalford_Who Posts: 4,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think it all comes down to how some people took the regeneration.

some saw the change as ruining the show.

others took it as the show moving on and regeneration being part of the doctors timeline.

I don't think that's quite true, regenerations are part of the show, and nothing to do with the regeneration, after all, there was less moans during #9 to #10, it's more to do with the difficult looks and feel and tone of the show.

Personally I don't think it's to do with Matt Smith, I think he has been excellent, despite some awful scripts.

And anecdotal evidence is important. For all the figures that are thrown around, I think overnights being down is a fact that people aren't as eager to watch a new episode, but will still watch it because it's Dr Who.

My anecdocal evidence is that my nephew and sister don't care about watching it, but will catch up when they can. A couple of friends think that many of the stories haven't been complete, and have felt unfinished, or poor.

I have one friend that was extremely excited about the change, and felt it was better than RTD, but that waned as the episodes progressed.

Overall, AI is down over series 4, overnights are down, final figures are constant, but is this a change in viewing habits, or a change in audience satisfaction.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ah come on Kapellmeister, I love Dr Gurn he can do no wrong for me. Moffat best work was with DT. Series 5 just lacked (for me!) that one story that I could put in my all time favourite DW episodes. Of course he still has a few series to make one amazing episode, so I wait with anticipation for series 6.