Breaking news: Phones bend if you bend them

Comments

• Larry_KirstenLarry_Kirsten Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    Big phones, small pockets, tight trousers, fat arses, small brains. A deadly combination. ;-)

But Apples targeted demographic right?

Sorry, was just a joke... I'm not anti Apple, honest! :p
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    So its everyone else's fault for forcing apple down the phablet route ? :p

Seems the manufacturers don't have the issue as much though these days .... Spooky :)

No, and I didn't mention Apple or any other manufacturer:confused:

Phablets are not portable devices which should be kept in tight pockets. Before Apple brought one out there were many stories of screens breaking in pockets. Apple just get more headlines.
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    calico_pie wrote: »
    Probably exactly this.

Are you suggesting that apple users have a HIGHER tendency to be wearers of tight trousers, and are more likely to have larger than average bottoms ?? :D
    Forum Member
    kidspud wrote: »
    No, and I didn't mention Apple or any other manufacturer:confused:

Phablets are not portable devices which should be kept in tight pockets. Before Apple brought one out there were many stories of screens breaking in pockets. Apple just get more headlines.

.... Ahhhhh. So its the Press's fault :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    .... Ahhhhh. So its the Press's fault :D

I now do not know what you are talking about:confused:
    Forum Member
    kidspud wrote: »
    I now do not know what you are talking about:confused:

For giving more headlines ???? ;)

Some of you need to chill a little more :p
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well now Calico has joined in I expect the thread to turn into a couple of dozen pages about how it's down to too many ppi that has weakened the screen and that's why some of the phones are bending. :D

Probably nothing like this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For giving more headlines ???? ;)

Some of you need to chill a little more :p

I made a simple observation that phablets are not phones designed to go into a tight pocket. Irrespective of what phone it is, I would suggest it is a silly thing to do.

The only people to blame (as you seem to want to blame someone) is the owners.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you suggesting that apple users have a HIGHER tendency to be wearers of tight trousers, and are more likely to have larger than average bottoms ?? :D

No. But I would suggest that if there is ever any issue with an Apple product, it has a far higher chance of becoming something that sends the internet into a frenzy.
    Forum Member
    Probably nothing like this.

Don't underate yourself so much. ;-)
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    Perhaps Apple should issue a warning with their phones that they cannot be placed in pockets, if so it is down to the owners risk. Does sound bizarre that this could be a scenarion for a portable device but I suppose there are some phones you cannot hold as you like for them to work.

Does seem a little harsh to blame consumers for damaging a mobile phone by placing it in a pocket!! but if customers are happy to take responsibility I suppose they are saving Apple money by doing so.

Those pesky tabloid journos though should be punished for raising awareness on this. I think it is a cheek without at least 5 million boomerang phones being discovered, I bet it was that Washington Post again, scoundrels.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't underate yourself so much. ;-)

Since you brought it up, the problem with those discussions is the misquoting and twisting of words by others.
    Forum Member
    Since you brought it up, the problem with those discussions is the misquoting and twisting of words by others.

Of course it is. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    Perhaps Apple should issue a warning with their phones that they cannot be placed in pockets, if so it is down to the owners risk. Does sound bizarre that this could be a scenarion for a portable device but I suppose there are some phones you cannot hold as you like for them to work.

Does seem a little harsh to blame consumers for damaging a mobile phone by placing it in a pocket!! but if customers are happy to take responsibility I suppose they are saving Apple money by doing so.

Those pesky tabloid journos though should be punished for raising awareness on this. I think it is a cheek without at least 5 million boomerang phones being discovered, I bet it was that Washington Post again, scoundrels.

Like I said, time will tell if they actually do get damaged literally by being put in any pocket, under an circumstances.

Would you like to have a wager?
    Forum Member

And "boom!" This thread ends up like every other one on here :p
    Forum Member
    Like I said, time will tell if they actually do get damaged literally by being put in any pocket, under an circumstances.

Would you like to have a wager?

The videos above show a distinct difference between the 6+ and a similar Samsung product. One bends relatively easily and stays bent. The other takes a lot of effort to bend but seems to flex back. Reports have come in about phones bending in pockets.

There will obviously be specific criteria where this happens. It won't be just "put it in a pocket and it comes out bent". I'm not sure anyone is suggesting that ? I hope you aren't warping or twisting peoples words ???
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    Persih the thought CP would try and change the whole discussion to something ludicrous.

TD will be on soon saying it is blindingly obvious what the facts are.

A simple Google shows the 'hysteria' out there :o
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If only Steve Jobs was still alive. He would be telling people "Your putting it in the wrong pocket" or even "Your not supposed to put it in your pocket"

Good to see the usual suspects defending a flimsy design and criticising the press for daring to mention it.

Good thing is not a Premium priced phone....oh hold on it is :D
  • Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    The story may have moved on since I read it last night. BUT the report did mention 2 instances out of 2 million sold and wasn't convinced it wasn't a haox.

Apparently the iPhone 5 bends as well.

I have to ask, how flexible is the glass. In some of the photos I've seen there is no way the glass wouldn't shatter at being bent at that angle.
  • PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    haha nice, the trio are up & posting.

Erica Griffin not that impressed with this device either

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhParMJSqm0
    Forum Member
    Cue an eventual admission by apple and a free (for a limited time) "iPocketCase" with built in steel girder :p
  • innitrichieinnitrichie Posts: 9,795
    Forum Member
    It's ridiculous how much coverage this is getting. If you apply enough force to any smartphone you can bend/break it. Shock horror. There is no issue here.

The iPhone 6/6 Plus are still the best phones money can buy. I hope nobody is dissuaded from buying one because the haters have found an exciting new word to suffix with "gate".
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cue an eventual admission by apple and a free (for a limited time) "iPocketCase" with built in steel girder :p

It will only add 2cm to thickness and 1kg to the weight of the phone, so that should be okay.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aurichie wrote: »
    It's ridiculous how much coverage this is getting. If you apply enough force to any smartphone you can bend/break it. Shock horror. There is no issue here.

The iPhone 6/6 Plus are still the best phones money can buy. I hope nobody is dissuaded from buying one because the haters have found an exciting new word to suffix with "gate".

That part is not a problem, the real problem is that users report the problems after using the phone normally without bending the phone as shown in the videos. Those videos just show that it can be done much easier with iPhones than other phones.
This discussion has been closed.