International or club football, what is the biggest managerial in football?

rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
Forum Member
✭✭
Having been to Brazil, I saw first hand how massive the Brazil coaching role is as their is the expectations of an entire nation on a man's shoulders. Scolari also faced strong media pressure as the England coach would do.

In terms of club football, I would say the Manchester United job is the biggest in World football with Real Madrid second. So internationally, Brazil and clun United. What does anyone else think?

Comments

• big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    England has to be the biggest international job surely? The crap the managers get from both press and fans is silly.

I agree about being united being the biggest managers spot going
  • f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd agree with bigbrother9 on England.

Expected to work miracles and win a world cup with a pool of talent that has been punching above its weight for over a decade now, whilst the general public and media fail to see that the glory days ended long ago.
  • ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Manchester United was the biggest job going in club football, I'm not convinced they would have appointed David Moyes.

United are clearly one of the biggest clubs in the world, but I'd probably put Real Madrid ahead of them..
  • Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ManUtd is the biggest job in club football?! Seriously? Bigger than Barcelona, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich? Not in the real world.

Brazil and Germany are the most difficult jobs in international football because of the weight of expectations on those two nations. England has a history of underperforming at tournaments, so people are used to it and expectations could not have been lower at this World Cup. The only result good enough for Brazil or Germany is the title. Anything less than the title is considered a failure. The pressure is much greater than on the England manager.
  • Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Xela M wrote: »
    ManUtd is the biggest job in club football?! Seriously? Bigger than Barcelona, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich? Not in the real world.

Brazil and Germany are the most difficult jobs in international football because of the weight of expectations on those two nations. England has a history of underperforming at tournaments, so people are used to it and expectations could not have been lower at this World Cup. The only result good enough for Brazil or Germany is the title. Anything less than the title is considered a failure. The pressure is much greater than on the England manager.

Your opinion that Bayern Munich are a bigger club job in football than Man United , is just that your opinion.

Many opinions are differing with you as they are entitled to, what about when Pep goes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your opinion that Bayern Munich are a bigger club job in football than Man United , is just that your opinion.

Many opinions are differing with you as they are entitled to, what about when Pep goes.

Bayern Munich along with Real and Barcelona are one of the 3 best clubs in the world. It's not just my opinion. That's almost universally accepted fact. What does Pep have to do with Bayern's success? When he goes Bayern will continue to be successful with another manager, just like it was with most of the managers before him.
  • Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bayern Munich along with Real and Barcelona are one of the 3 best clubs in the world. It's not just my opinion. That's almost universally accepted fact. What does Pep have to do with Bayern's success? When he goes Bayern will continue to be successful with another manager, just like it was with most of the managers before him.

Manchester United are the most famous club in the world, that is not just my opinion that is a fact.

Best as what, fan wise, trophy wise, United have been very succesfull over the years, one blip last year means nothing.

United will continue in this fashion.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Manchester United are the most famous club in the world, that is not just my opinion that is a fact.

Best as what, fan wise, trophy wise, United have been very succesfull over the years, one blip last year means nothing.

United will continue in this fashion.

I didn't say that last year's blip affected ManUtd's fame, it was exactly the same in Ferguson's time. Bayern Munich is the more successful club regardless. The pinnacle of any young footballer's career is to play in either Real, Barcelona or Bayern Munich because those are the 3 best clubs in the world.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,818
    Forum Member

It's not universally accepted at all. You will find many, many people who think Man Utd are a bigger club than Bayern Munich.
    Forum Member
    I didn't say that last year's blip affected ManUtd's fame, it was exactly the same in Ferguson's time. Bayern Munich is the more successful club regardless. The pinnacle of any young footballer's career is to play in either Real, Barcelona or Bayern Munich because those are the 3 best clubs in the world.

How are you measuring 'best'? Recent success? Support? Assets?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How are you measuring 'best'? Recent success? Support? Assets?

Consistently doing well in Europe, best international players.
    Forum Member
    Consistently doing well in Europe, best international players.

Oh right. So you're ignoring domestic success, fanbase and financials?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh right. So you're ignoring domestic success, fanbase and financials?

Well, Bayern Munich has also won more domestic league titles than ManUtd. Although I can see there being an argument for ManUtd over Bayern Munich, to say that United its the biggest managerial job in club football is still laughable. What about Barcelona and Real?
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The teams you mentioned have rifled through coaches whereas Man Utd had one for the best part of 30 years, so the job of Man Utd manager has far more expectation and attention behind it because there's much more to the task of continuing success than there is with others.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    celesti wrote: »
    The teams you mentioned have rifled through coaches whereas Man Utd had one for the best part of 30 years, so the job of Man Utd manager has far more expectation and attention behind it because there's much more to the task of continuing success than there is with others.

So by that logic does it mean that the Arsenal job is more important than the Real, Barcelona or Bayern jobs?

Let's also not forget that Germany won the World Cup with mostly Bayern players and Spain won 4 years earlier with mostly Barcelona players. England hasn't managed to get to a WC semi-final in 24 years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's not the same logic, because Arsenal haven't enjoyed the domination that puts them in the same conversation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok... current Ballon d'Or nominations: Real Madrid and Bayern Munich are tied with six players each (and Kroos was also a Bayern player last season) followed by Barcelona with four players. Di Maria is the only player from ManUtd who was shortlisted, but even he played for Real Madrid last season.

I could be wrong, but if I recall correctly, for the past 4 years only 1 Bayern Munich player managed to get close to winning the Ballon d'Or: Ribery (in third place). The rest was decided between Real Madrid and Barcelona. No English club in the top 3.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So in discussing the managerial role of these clubs, you're bringing up national teams and player awards. Why not polyester content of shirts or Twitter followers?

For universally accepted real world facts, you're going on a weird tangent here.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So if it doesn't matter how many international trophies/awards the clubs or its players won or even how many domestic trophies they won, what criteria actually do matter then?

It must be the same crazy criteria that make the England managerial role the biggest job in international football and the Premier League the strongest league in the world.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The clubs, sure. What I'm saying is that the task of Man Utd manager right now is to restore one of world football's genuine elite clubs to glory in the almost-immediate shadow of one of football's all-time great managers who was part of it for quarter of a century. With the other sides it's to continue or match the success of the handful of people who went before you for up to three years a pop.

By saying the Man Utd managerial job has more to it than a Barcelona isn't saying that they're a better team or pretending England won the World Cup or that Tyler Blackett is the best young player in the world. It's the scale of the job.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The clubs, sure. What I'm saying is that the task of Man Utd manager right now is to restore one of world football's genuine elite clubs to glory in the almost-immediate shadow of one of football's all-time great managers who was part of it for quarter of a century. With the other sides it's to continue or match the success of the handful of people who went before you for up to three years a pop.

By saying the Man Utd managerial job has more to it than a Barcelona isn't saying that they're a better team or pretending England won the World Cup or that Tyler Blackett is the best young player in the world. It's the scale of the job.

How about restoring Barcelona's glory or following in the footsteps of Jupp Heynckes who won the treble? All LVG has to do is get into the top 4 with almost unlimited funds available to him. No one is asking him to win the CL or even the PL. I don't think expectations at the other 3 clubs I mentioned are anywhere near as low. So how is LVG's job any bigger than the jobs of the other 3 managers?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because Alex Ferguson did it over 26 years, which is way more of an act to follow than managers who were there for a cup of coffee on a conveyor belt. It's also pretty obvious that hiring Van Gaal is with an eye on doing more than just finishing at least fourth.
    Forum Member
    So by that logic does it mean that the Arsenal job is more important than the Real, Barcelona or Bayern jobs?

Let's also not forget that Germany won the World Cup with mostly Bayern players and Spain won 4 years earlier with mostly Barcelona players. England hasn't managed to get to a WC semi-final in 24 years.

Which would be a good point if Man Utd had mostly English players. Which they don't.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, Bayern Munich has also won more domestic league titles than ManUtd. Although I can see there being an argument for ManUtd over Bayern Munich, to say that United its the biggest managerial job in club football is still laughable. What about Barcelona and Real?

I think the Manchester United job is a much more difficult job than the Bayern Munich job because United have had stability over the best part of 30 years. Also, Si Alex Ferguson did not just have to change the football team he had to change the culture of the club. There were too many drinkers like Paul McGrath and ill disciplined players like Gordon Strachen. Also, Ferguson cited that the Manchester United had become a cup club and there was no long term planning. This resulted in Ferguson, together Sir Bobby Charlton reinvigorating the youth development as it had been abandoned after the reign of Sir Matt Busby.

With this, Ferguson had to counter the dominance of Liverpool, adjust to the changes of Sky and the elite league becoming the Premiership, the arrival of Arsene Wenger and the introduction of a more cosmopolitan game and then the billions of Abramovich and Abu Dhabi. Whilst making Manchester United the most successful football club domestically, United had become a corporate and global phenomenon which Real Madrid, Barcelona, Chelsea, Arsenal and Manchester have all tried to replicate. Manchester United have been the visionaries of the future of what football has become.

In terms of management, Real Madrid do not give their 'head coach' the responsibilities of signing players as that is done by the elected president (which is currently Florentino Perez). Barcelona are a massive club, but they are also a political movement for the Catalan society and a response to the domination of Real Madrid. I am not so sure that they are massive in Africa or Asia? However, the coach is given more responsibility than their Spanish rivals and like Manchester United they are expected to nurture young talent and play attractive football.

Bayern Munich act as a conglomerate of German football and just dominate over their rivals by buying the best players from Borussia Dortmund, Stuttgart, Bayer Leverkusen etc. In fact Bayern do not have an enriched history behind them as they were founded 1900. It is 1860 Munich that have the more traditional history as a club.

That is why the Manchester United job is the hardest and carries the most responsibilities you are the head coach, you do take full responsibilities for buying the players and you are an ambassador for the external business the club is involved in.
  • carnivalistcarnivalist Posts: 4,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Manchester United are the most famous club in the world, that is not just my opinion that is a fact...

But its a fact that hides the truth rather than illuminates it.

While United have wide support worldwide its not particularly deep or historic. It tends to be concentrated in emerging markets like Asia etc - United are not nearly as prestigious a club in South America and even Europe as the Reals and Barcelonas and even Bayerns of this world - in fact I seem to remember a stat that claimed Celtic had more support and prestige in South America than Utd, although this was some years ago.

United's popularity is intimately linked to the popularity of the Premier League, whereas that of the other teams mentioned is not connected with league they play in but on their historical record, which in all cases is considerably better than that of United. United were the biggest names in the PL when it was spreading its tendrils into new markets and that's why they have become a bigger name than they once were. It remains to be seen if that support and prestige in Asia etc is entrenched in the way that of Madrid et al is in the traditionally important regions like South America, or whether it will fade when the PL ceases to be pre-eminent, as will surely happen one day - if only because of the inevitability of a future Super-League.