laptop not connecting to internet

pattycakepattycake Posts: 4,603
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Can anyone help please, I bought an HP pavillion laptop, with windows 8, I have plusnet fibre wifi, which works perfectly with various phones, android devices and another (windows 7) laptop. but this Hp connects for a few minutes,and then loses connection, even though it shows that it is there.
I took it back to the shop and they say it must be an isp problem, but how can it be , it works so well on everything else.

I have done all the obvious things including removing the nework and starting again, nothing makes any difference.

I have tried to raise a ticket with plusnet, but they have ignored it so far.

Comments

• seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Patty,

I know nothing of Windows 8 but if it has kept the "Event Viewer", this may well point you in the right direction. Anything that has a Red ! mark or a Red X next to it might give you a clue as to the problem.
  • oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most probable reason is a driver issue. First try and update WiFi drivers.

Are you running windows 8 or 8.1?
    If 8 I would upgrade to 8.1 as this would be easiest way of updating drivers to a more recent version.

To do above you will need to connect PC to router using an Ethernet cable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can download latest hp drivers from following site.

You will neet to put model number in to get correct one.

http://www8.hp.com/uk/en/drivers.html
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a lappy that was useless out of the box at wifi so i wiped it and used a generic windows 8 cd as somewhere there was a dodgy wifi driver that thought it was better than the standard one and since then its been fine so it could be a dodgy HP driver but sometimes chasing down these problems can be a pain

after checking the event viewer etc perhaps burn a linux live cd and boot from that and see if the wifi connects ok with that and stays connected ok to at least rule out a faulty wifi module
  • pattycakepattycake Posts: 4,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you all,
    no red marks or x's on events manager. I have the most up to date driver, and am running 8.1 , I cant get oline via ethernet cable either.
    I am sorry maxatoria, I don't understand what you are suggesting.

Plusnet have replied and have checked everything, so it looks like the only thing to do is write it off,
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pattycake wrote: »
    Thank you all,
    no red marks or x's on events manager. I have the most up to date driver, and am running 8.1 , I cant get oline via ethernet cable either.

Plusnet have replied and have checked everything, so it looks like the only thing to do is write it off,

I assume that you turned the WiFi off using the F key on the keyboard when you used the ethernet cable? If you don't it tends to ignore the cable connection (or at least my HP laptop does!).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pattycake wrote: »
    Thank you all,

Just exactly how do you connect to WiFi. Sometimes people use menus from manufacturer which are supposed to make life easy but often don't work.
  • Helmut10Helmut10 Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi,
    Connect up with your Ethernet cable again, and switch off the Wireless Card. It simplifies things for testing purposes.

On my Laptop it's the F12 key, you can also use the Charms Menu, the one that comes in from the right side select Settings > click on the Wired/Wireless icon and switch off the WiFi.

Bottom right on the Notification Area you should now have a Wired icon rather than the Wireless one. I presume this is saying no access or cross ?

Go to the Control Panel(Category View) > Network and Internet, choose View network status and tasks >

At the top should be Connections, Ethernet(blue link) > click on Ethernet > Diagnose at the bottom.

That will open Windows Network Diagnostics. At the bottom of the dialog box View detailed information(blue link).

That will give additional information in the Trouble Shooting Report, expand the details with the down arrows (Detection details) V.

You can then switch back to a Wireless Connection and go through the same procedure.

Come back with more details of those.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oilman wrote: »
    Just exactly how do you connect to WiFi. Sometimes people use menus from manufacturer which are supposed to make life easy but often don't work.

I just turn the laptop on and the wifi is there , or should be!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helmut10 I did what you said, what details do you ant to see?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For a start the (detection details) V as in the third to last paragraph.
    Mine is like this:

Windows Network Diagnostics
    No issues detected

Detection details
    Details about network adapter diagnosis:

Network adapter Ethernet driver information:

Description . . . . . . . . . . : Qualcomm Atheros AR8161 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.30)
    Manufacturer . . . . . . . . . : Qualcomm Atheros
    Provider . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft
    Version . . . . . . . . . . . : 2.1.0.16
    Inf File Name . . . . . . . . . : C:\Windows\INF\netl1c63x64.inf
    Inf File Date . . . . . . . . . : 22 August 2013 07:01:13
    Section Name . . . . . . . . . : L1F.ndi
    Hardware ID . . . . . . . . . . : pci\ven_1969&dev_1091
    Instance Status Flags . . . . . : 0x180200a
    Device Manager Status Code . . : 0
    IfType . . . . . . . . . . . . : 6
    Physical Media Type . . . . . . : 14

Obviously mine works thus the first section has nothing but "no issues detected" however yours should have some text in there.

To copy that text highlight with mouse/touchpad Ctrl+C (Copy to clipboard) then Ctrl+V (Paste) into message.

Make sure to blank out any security and personal info

I'm trying to guess at how much knowledge you have.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, as I can't get online on the HP I am unable to copy and paste, but it does say 'there may be a problem' at the end of 2 of the sections
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You need to provide more information even if you can't Copy/Paste exact details.

There must be the driver info for your Ethernet Card, or indeed Wireless Card.

So is that info showing like I have listed for mine ?

It's your Modem/Router box that connects to the internet which in your case works as you have other devices working through it.

Thus your problem is just in the Network connection to that Modem/Router.

Another approach is simply to set up the connection again. Control Panel > Network and Sharing Centre > Set up a new connection or network > thru various dialogs.

Or use the Troubleshoot problems link.

Use the Ethernet Cable connection for starters as it's simplest to sort out.

Have a look at you Router setup pages for a list of connected devices the DHCP client table. You should find your other devices in there, and also the HP laptop.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you all , I managed to get HP support assistant onto my laptop and set it going, It seems to have worked as I have been able to use the internet for over a day now .