Options

People who think they are special: because they listen to a certain type of music.

Mitu_PappiMitu_Pappi Posts: 1,341
Forum Member
✭✭✭
why is association with a certain type of music considered to bestow a certain status on the listener. It is true for almost all genres. Rock listeners think pop music listeners are beneath them. Classical music listeners think they are a class apart. Why is it?

Comments

• Options
    thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because they should have grown out of that kind of behaviour at about 20, but for some reason failed to.
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    Mitu_Pappi wrote: »
    why is association with a certain type of music considered to bestow a certain status on the listener. It is true for almost all genres. Rock listeners think pop music listeners are beneath them. Classical music listeners think they are a class apart. Why is it?

The same reason that some people think they're special because they follow a certain sport, or watch certain films/TV programmes, or drive a certain type of car, or go to a certain place on holiday, or eat certain foods, or read certain books, etc. etc. etc.

Basically, they haven't quite come to grips with the mind-numbingly simple fact that we're all different and we all enjoy different things.

I would, however, differentiate between those who seem to believe they're "special", and those who simply express the opinion that something is crap, or even take the pee (in a good-natured way) out of those who like something else! :)
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mitu_Pappi wrote: »

Because people always believe that their views, tastes and choices are the best. Lets face it, they wouldn't like it if they thought it was the worst. That's not how people work.
  • Options
    TATTOO62TATTOO62 Posts: 405
    Forum Member
    I'm fairly proud that I nearly got sick when I watched One Direction perform Teenage Kicks on the box.
  • Options
    boniverboniver Posts: 863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably something to do with the fact that rock and classical are generally (not always) more complex than pop music. It's easy to just turn the radio on and sing along to a catchy pop tune but there's not much under the surface.

So similar to how intelligent people might look down at those who are not so clever or film buffs look down on those who like Hollywood blockbusters.
  • Options
    coldcomfortcoldcomfort Posts: 778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been to loads of classical recitals but I don't feel superior to my bloke who used to go to punk gigs. It did make things more competative when music questions came up on Uni Challenge. All good.
    I got sneered at by folk at work for watching Big Brother. Some found this strange, knowing my musical preferance. :confused:
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    it has nothing to do with music.
  • Options
    SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,247
    Forum Member
    I got told that my music taste was impossible and that I was only buying records to resell. Nobody could like such a broad range I was told - and quite nastily too.

Never mind. When I speak about music with people and they make a point of telling me why the music I have just chatted about with them is of course of completely no interest in them because they like 'real music' I smile and say nothing, but inside I'm thinking 'you stuck up snob'. So now I don't chat about music with anyone - it seems to upset people when I dare waste their time talking about something that is not 'real music'. Since I don't have 'real music' as a separate topic its probably for the best.
  • Options
    hazydayzhazydayz Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    All to do with the people, not the music. Most wil live alone.
  • Options
    jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    Soundbox wrote: »
    I got told that my music taste was impossible and that I was only buying records to resell. Nobody could like such a broad range I was told - and quite nastily too.

Never mind. When I speak about music with people and they make a point of telling me why the music I have just chatted about with them is of course of completely no interest in them because they like 'real music' I smile and say nothing, but inside I'm thinking 'you stuck up snob'. So now I don't chat about music with anyone - it seems to upset people when I dare waste their time talking about something that is not 'real music'. Since I don't have 'real music' as a separate topic its probably for the best.

I get that too - I am listening to a 'work playlist' at the momentand it has songs from every decade from 1920s to 2010s - and a selection frem the previous three centuries too. I just like the music I like and listen to what suits my mood... sometimes it is Mahler, sometimes it is the Mamas and Papas, somtimes Madonna, sometimes it doesn't even begin with an M.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soundbox wrote: »

Are you sure we're not related as that's exactly how I feel about music :)

I remember many years ago I heard Zane Lowe say on his radio show "If it's good, I like it" and i've had that as my personal 'mantra', if you will, ever since.

Music snobs do irritate me and frustrate me in equal measure but i still ultimately respect their choices as I know taste in music is probably as subjective as taste in comedy. It still doesn't mean i don't like teasing them every so often though :)
  • Options
    kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    I love the fact that some people judge the person I am based on the music I listen to, TV I watch, stuff I like. It always surprises them when I can have in depth intellectual conversations about a lot of things even though I might listen to hip hop or watch TOWIE. I enjoy challenging people's perceptions. I get teased at work for being from 'South London' but yet I'm the one put in front of clients or chairing meetings with stakeholders. It's about versatility, I'm comfortable in most situations because I can adapt to each one.
  • Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whilst I have a broad taste in music most pop music to me is utter crap and is all that I detest in music, So sue me.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am a fan of proper music. :)
  • Options
    rusty robotrusty robot Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    I listen to any sort of music if it's good, balls to everyone else. I can appreciate the intricacies of classical music just as I can appreciate a well written cheesy pop song, doesn't make me culturally/intellectually superior/inferior to anyone.
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's listening and there's listening. If I want something on in the background then anything will do. But if I want to listen, concentrate and follow my way through 15 minutes of closely argued musical logic with no words then it will be jazz or classical.
    It all depends.
  • Options
    Cornish_PiskieCornish_Piskie Posts: 7,489
    Forum Member
    My parents sent me to ballet classes when I was a little girl and I loved the dance. Dare I say it, I was even pretty good at it..!!

Because I loved it so much, my mum took me to see the ballet at places such as the Festival Hall in London, and at the Barbican. Wonderful, wonderful times.

Did I ever feel "superior" to anybody who wasn't "into ballet"..? Well, no. I must admit I did try to enthuse some of my school friends and I did write an essay on a trip to see Swan Lake performed by the Northern Theatre Ballet which was published in the school magazine.

What this caused though, was a sort of anti-snobbish reaction by some girls at school. I was immediately labelled a snob and some would make snippy comments like "Not coming to school in your tutu today then..? Petty little things, but intended to be hurtful just the same.

It didn't affect me though. I just ignored them and got on with doing what I enjoyed.

So my experience was that, enjoying a form of fine art didn't change me or make me think I was superior to anybody else, but it did cause others to behave negatively because of their own attitude of "working class snobbery."

I might just send my own daughter to ballet classes when she's a bit older. I hope she learns to love it as much as I did and perhaps I may even take her to see a performance of, say, The Nutcracker at Christmas or something. It won't make her a snob, I just hope she enjoys it.
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't like a lot of pop music but I do like one of One Direction's songs. And one of Justin Bieber's. :o

Edit: This is the One Direction song I like. I think it's catchy. :blush::D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syFZfO_wfMQ
  • Options
    Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to be quite terrible for it. But I've got better. Mainly because I'd get a lot of shit for the music I liked so I wasn't very tolerant to anything out of my zone.
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    What music you like is a personal thing so I've never cared whether people agree with me or not. There is no argument to be had. It's purely a question of taste and any taste, whether narrow or wide, is equally as good or valid as any other.

People should be able to state their likes or dislikes without it being taken as a slight by anyone else. Think of it as analogous to food.
  • Options
    MargMckMargMck Posts: 24,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obsessed Dylan fans can be among the worst. It's definitely religious with them because they prefer you to rubbish him than say "I like some of it" so they can have a zealous argument.
  • Options
    postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TATTOO62 wrote: »
    I'm fairly proud that I nearly got sick when I watched One Direction perform Teenage Kicks on the box.

I think I would have joined you.

Currently listening to The Doobie Brothers. What does that make me?
  • Options
    cobaye22cobaye22 Posts: 1,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't the desire to be special a manifestation of our deep seated fear that really we are all the same?

I exclusively listen to overtone Mongolian throat singing.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, musical snobbery. I have a simple rule: If someone other than the music maker likes it then it's good.
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    I find it weird how annoyed people get when other people don't share their tastes on things like music, films, books, etc.