True HD LCD TV's

Hi,

Thought we should have a thread about true high definition TV's.

Seeing and the consumer market is begining to flood with LCD TV's that 'HD ready', I thought we should talk about the different supported resolutions LCD TV's have at the moment and why most of them aren't truely capable of displaying the true potential of HDTV.

so lets' get a few things clear first HDTV can be 720p or 1080i or 1280x720 pixels progressive and 1920x1080 pixels interlaced.

While for the inital launch of HDTV we're probably gonna see 720p for the most part as is a massive leap forward in quality from current broadcasts, 1080i is truely where I think we all really want to go.

the vast majority of LCD and Plasma TV that are HD ready on the market currently only support a maximum resolution of 1366x768 pixels or around that. which is good to display the 720p HD feeds but what about the 1080i feeds, anyone who buys a TV that only supports this resolution isn't going to benefit from true 1080i HDTV.

so what 'true' 1080i TV's are out there at the moment, one's that have a resolution of 1920x1080, well all I can find at the moment are (UK market):

Philips - 37PF9830 37" LCD - £2,500 aprox.
Philips - 42PF9830 42" LCD - £3,300 aprox.

Sharp - LC-45GD1E Aquos 45" - £4,200 aprox.

does anyone know of anymore

Comments

• 10bii10bii Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    middlep1 wrote:
    Hi,

Thought we should have a thread about true high definition TV's.

Seeing and the consumer market is begining to flood with LCD TV's that 'HD ready', I thought we should talk about the different supported resolutions LCD TV's have at the moment and why most of them aren't truely capable of displaying the true potential of HDTV.

so lets' get a few things clear first HDTV can be 720p or 1080i or 1280x720 pixels progressive and 1920x1080 pixels interlaced.

While for the inital launch of HDTV we're probably gonna see 720p for the most part as is a massive leap forward in quality from current broadcasts, 1080i is truely where I think we all really want to go.

the vast majority of LCD and Plasma TV that are HD ready on the market currently only support a maximum resolution of 1366x768 pixels or around that. which is good to display the 720p HD feeds but what about the 1080i feeds, anyone who buys a TV that only supports this resolution isn't going to benefit from true 1080i HDTV.

so what 'true' 1080i TV's are out there at the moment, one's that have a resolution of 1920x1080, well all I can find at the moment are (UK market):

Philips - 37PF9830 37" LCD - £2,500 aprox.
    Philips - 42PF9830 42" LCD - £3,300 aprox.

Sharp - LC-45GD1E Aquos 45" - £4,200 aprox.

does anyone know of anymore

1080i looks noticeably better on a 1366x768 display than 720P does. 1080i is downsized and 720p is upsized.

The only true 1080i display out there would be one that is interlaced and displays 1920x1080 resolution. I don't think any exist, at least not typically available. What you would be looking for are 1080P displays which would de-interlace the 1080i image.
  • Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    I dont think there will be many "true" (1920 x 1080) TVs around unless theres demand for screen sizes above 45" to be honest. The new consoles and SkyHD will drive the majority of the HD TV set uptake in the UK and all three of those standards use 720p/1080i. Only BluRay and HD-DVD will output higher, along with Id say a select few PS3 games.

I'd still get one if I had the chance ;)
    Forum Member
    DanVitale wrote:
    I dont think there will be many "true" (1920 x 1080) TVs around unless theres demand for screen sizes above 45" to be honest. The new consoles and SkyHD will drive the majority of the HD TV set uptake in the UK and all three of those standards use 720p/1080i. Only BluRay and HD-DVD will output higher, along with Id say a select few PS3 games.

I'd still get one if I had the chance ;)

There's one for only $1500 in America that is 37". There is also a new 20" that is 1440x900. As screens get cheaper they will all go to 1080P.
    Forum Member
    Maybe. It depends if Joe Bloggs on the street knows the difference between 1080i and 1080p.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whether something is in 720 or 1080 isn't something the viewer should have to worry about, surely? As long as their display can output both, ie, is indeed HD Ready (regardless of actual screen resolutions) then I doubt many viewers will really care.

They'll hook up their Sky/cable/PS3 or whatever and just get on with enjoying HD images.
  • andybno1andybno1 Posts: 6,142
    Forum Member
    just wondering is this a true hdtv LCD tv http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/455_263729.html I have had this for a few months now it has hdmi and the other connection (hucks my pc upto the tv via high hd).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Samsung have a range of 1080p DLP sets in the US. If they are as stunning value as their 720p ones are over here, then that could be a way forward.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 101
    Forum Member
    I should really have done a bit more thorough research first, looked on the Philips website at the 37" 37PF9830 Amibent light LCD TV, it is true HD and the progressive 1080 screen resolution.

http://www.consumer.philips.com/consumer/catalog/catalog.jsp?fhquery=fh_secondid%3D37pf9830_10_gb_consumer%26fh_start_index%3D10%26fh_location%3D%2F%2Fconsumer%2Fen_GB%2Fcategories%3Ccatalog_gb_consumer%2Fcategories%3Ctv_gr_gb_consumer%2Fcategories%3Cflat_tv_ca_gb_consumer%26&productId=37PF9830_10_GB_CONSUMER&activeCategory=TV_GR_GB_CONSUMER&fredhopperpage=detail.jsp&language=en&country=GB&catalogType=CONSUMER&proxybuster=QFQV5PI1WDIIXJ0RMRESHQFHKFSEKI5P

got to gets me one of these babies :)

Any other links to other brands that have 1920x1080 true HD TV for the UK market please post
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most pointless thread ever?

Go and do some research on HD and you'll see that 720p is by far the most used format. Getting a TV just because it has 1920x1080 resolution is pointless. Barely any programmes are even broadcast in that resolution in the States, and I doubt we'll even see it here. Add to that the fact that many 1080i-based programmes are not actually 1080, but are much lower resolution but upscaled and you'll see you're wasting your money.

By buying a screen with such a high resolution all you're doing is adding to the scaling that must be done. 720p broadcasts will have to be scaled to fit your screen, which is not going to look as pretty as you'd think, so in the long run you'll be losing out.

But, I guess it's the classic 'mine's bigger than yours'... :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Barely any programmes are even broadcast in that resolution in the States

I thought all HD on CBS and NBC was 1080i.
    Forum Member
    Most pointless thread ever?

Go and do some research on HD and you'll see that 720p is by far the most used format. Getting a TV just because it has 1920x1080 resolution is pointless. Barely any programmes are even broadcast in that resolution in the States, and I doubt we'll even see it here. Add to that the fact that many 1080i-based programmes are not actually 1080, but are much lower resolution but upscaled and you'll see you're wasting your money.

By buying a screen with such a high resolution all you're doing is adding to the scaling that must be done. 720p broadcasts will have to be scaled to fit your screen, which is not going to look as pretty as you'd think, so in the long run you'll be losing out.

You are incorrect. The most widely used HD format, by far, is 1080i, which can only be best viewed on a 1080 resolution screen. This is based on the biggest HD market that exists in America. In Japan, they support 1080i only.

1080i programmes in America, since that is where the vast majority of HD is produced, are in fact 1080 and not upscaled.

Your last point about upscaling 720 is the only correct part of your statement.
    Forum Member
    sanderton wrote:
    I thought all HD on CBS and NBC was 1080i.

That is correct. This is how it stacks up.

28 channels broadcasting 1080i

CBS
    NBC
    UPN
    WB
    PBS
    Discovery
    Showtime
    HBO
    HDNet
    HDNet Movies
    Cinemax
    Universal
    TMC
    Starz
    TNT
    INHD
    INHD2
    Ultra
    Monsters
    RAVE
    Equator
    Gallery
    Animania
    RUSH
    HD News
    Guy TV
    Majestic
    NFL Sunday

3 channels broadcasting in 720p

ABC
    ESPN
    Fox

I may have missed a few overall but that essentially shows the difference.
  • camajcamaj Posts: 817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Hardly! It makes a lot of sense to buy the best resolution available so you can watch 1080 properly. 720p upscaled is going to look a hell of a lot better than 1080i downscaled and one day everything will be in 1080i/p so why buy another TV when you can get it right first time?

I know this is an LCD thread but most DLP sets are 1080i it's just plasma/LCD which lag behind a little
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't believe any DLP sets currently shipping in the UK are 1080.
    Forum Member
    camaj wrote:
    Hardly! It makes a lot of sense to buy the best resolution available so you can watch 1080 properly. 720p upscaled is going to look a hell of a lot better than 1080i downscaled and one day everything will be in 1080i/p so why buy another TV when you can get it right first time?

I know this is an LCD thread but most DLP sets are 1080i it's just plasma/LCD which lag behind a little

Actually that is incorrect. Downsizing an image will always yield a much higher quality image than upsizing for the simple reason is that you can not create what is not there in the first place. You can get a good feel for that by taking a still image on your PC and resize and upsize in a typical image editing program. The downsized sample will look excellent, even if it may need a bit sharpening, but the upsized one will look soft with what looks like fat or thickened details.

1080i downsized to 720P resolution screens will look excellent with little to no noticeable quality degradation besides the smaller resolution size. 720P upsized to a 1080p screen I am afraid to say does not look very good as you are attempting to double the information in the image. It's another reason why i think 720P will not last for too long.

Most current DLP TVs are 720P but newer models in America are 1080P.

I agree on your first point of buying a 1080P screen to properly enjoy 1080i and p material.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you misunderstand. downscaling will always prodcuce better results but the resulting image will still be worse that the original becuase it's lower resolution. 1080i and upscaled 720p will look better overal than downscalled 1080i and 720p since you'll never see true 1080i on the second set

sanderton, I'm pretty sure most, if not all HD DLP's are 1080i (not p). Sagem do one that springs to mind immediatly
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    10bii wrote:
    That is correct. This is how it stacks up.

28 channels broadcasting 1080i

CBS
    NBC
    UPN
    WB
    3 channels broadcasting in 720p

ABC
    ESPN
    Fox

I may have missed a few overall but that essentially shows the difference.
    Humm, interesting! I wonder why ABC, FOX and ESPN have opted for 720? odd, when everyone else has gone for 1080 .. 720 is supposedly better for sports (from what I've read) so ESPN doing 720 isn't unexpected, but I'm surprised ABC and FOX are doing 720 too. Although I've seen the LG demos running in Dixon, I think the real test (of how good it looks) will be when Sky start HD and we see shows like '24' and movies in HD, not just pretty promotional vids.
    Forum Member
    camaj wrote:
    I think you misunderstand. downscaling will always prodcuce better results but the resulting image will still be worse that the original becuase it's lower resolution. 1080i and upscaled 720p will look better overal than downscalled 1080i and 720p since you'll never see true 1080i on the second set

sanderton, I'm pretty sure most, if not all HD DLP's are 1080i (not p). Sagem do one that springs to mind immediatly

Only worse to the extent of it being a smaller resolution picture but perfect for a display that matches such a resolution.

Upscaled 720 to a 1080P looks worse than watching it natively on a 720P screen. It's just too much to blow up.

Most DLPs are 720P but newer 1080P models are on sale in America mainly.
    Forum Member
    Humm, interesting! I wonder why ABC, FOX and ESPN have opted for 720? odd, when everyone else has gone for 1080 .. 720 is supposedly better for sports (from what I've read) so ESPN doing 720 isn't unexpected, but I'm surprised ABC and FOX are doing 720 too. Although I've seen the LG demos running in Dixon, I think the real test (of how good it looks) will be when Sky start HD and we see shows like '24' and movies in HD, not just pretty promotional vids.

ABC and FOX also have plenty of sports coverage on their network channels. EsPN is supposedly looking into 1080P broadcasting. They are also owned by ABC.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    10bii wrote:
    Most DLPs are 720P but newer 1080P models are on sale in America mainly.

I think most/all of the ones here are already 1080i
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, there are no 1080 ones on sale here yet.

The 720 sets can accept a 1080 input and downsacle it; perhaps thats's what;'s confused you?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    Don't get me wrong, but I thought 1080i is only 720p scaled into 1080 the interlaced are the same, just 1080 has wider space between pixels. So 1080p is the way to go, however, by saying that, 1080p won't be out until people get their next TV (unless you change your TV every 5 years) Then after that, who knows how big the resolution TV is.

So for the price, 720p TV is good enough, no?!
  • hxbrohxbro Posts: 2,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BenQ 37" DV3750 - Native 1080i on sale in the uk for £1,150.00 :

http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?sku=313532&cks=ASS&assoc=5A39DAA7-10EA-4BCF-889D-E46501023430

They seem to be selling these quite quickly

There's a thread on avforums about it :

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249562&highlight=DV3750
    Forum Member
    sanderton wrote:
    No, there are no 1080 ones on sale here yet.

The 720 sets can accept a 1080 input and downsacle it; perhaps thats's what;'s confused you?

There are 1080p TVs for sale in the UK. The Sharp 45G1DE is one of them. Quite a few UKers over at avforums.com have one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Sharp 45G1DE is an LCD set? We were talking about DLP.