HDTV are you ready?

I would like to buy a new TV and a hard disk recorder (its about time) and more or less was set for the Sony LCD KDL-L32MRX1 (a bargin at the mo) and the Sony RDRHXD-710. But and this is a big but. Should I buy this LCD or buy one which is HD ready?

The Sony LCD does not have a HDMI or DVI connection, will this be a big problem within 5-7 years, because it can accept HD through component input.

Will there be HD DVDs avaliable to rent/buy and can they be played on current DVD players?

I am not planning on getting Sky HD, so will there be freeview broadcasts in HD? This I think will need a HD set top box.

I guess that to record HDTV (if that will be possible) you would need a HD recorder or a blue ray unit.

Any advice, should I buy or should I wait?

Comments

• David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky will offer component phono's and HDMI for high def output at the start, but later they have said they will only use HDMI. I bet any money that 2nd generation high def equipment will only feature HDMI connections (or maybe HDMI and DVI) for high def users. Therefore, get a screen with HDMI on it.

Chances are Freeview will eventually go High def as well, there may even be a limited service along side freeview in the next few years. Again almost certain this stuff will be 2nd generation, therefore for the high def you will need HDMI or DVI with an adaptor plug.

Not sure if high def dvd's will playback in some form of "downscaled" output on scart for normal "SD" tv's. Quite certain that high def discs (HD-DVD or Blue ray) wont work in existing dvd players and recorders. Existing "SD" dvd discs should play on the new HD-DVD and Blue Ray players along with the new high def discs, but you wont see any improvement unless you play a new high def disc on it and connect to a high def tv - most likely using HDMI or DVI connections

Going back to freeview and high def, even new "high def ready" tv's with HDMI and built in freeview will need a new "High def freeview box" or maybe a software upgrade to make them tune into the new high def freeview service. These tv's can take a high def picture, but only with a new box (or a major software upgrade to their in built freeview cards).

As for recording high def, there will be a high def Sky+ box next year. And the same sort of thing should be possible for freeview when freeview gets a high def channel up and running, but no hardware for a while yet. These are hard drive based like the existing Sky+ and other pvr's. In time recorders based on HD-DVD and Blue ray discs will happen. But in order to record freeview on them + any new high def freeview channels, these will have to have all new built in SD/HD dtt tuners, or I guess like now you could hook up a seperate box.

So at the moment, they only thing you can do is get the screen. Even then, I would wait until Sky launch their High def service - even if you don't want it. Why? Well since there will be more high def content to view, more high def screens should be sold, which will bring down prices more quickly, and there should also be more screens to choose from as a result.

One last thing, there infact 2 high def ready dvd system formats being launched. HD-DVD and Sony's Blue Ray. The Sony format has higher capacity, and Sony owns a lot of movie copyright - remember when they bought them a few years back - it all makes sense now. Any way as it stands the HD-DVD movies won't play in Blue Ray machines, and Blue Ray discs wont play in HD-DVD machines. Maybe someone will invent a "dual format" machine a bit like the existing +/- combi drives, but this would be even more expensive than the already expensive single format machines. Adding recording features will make them even more expensive, at least in the early days. Best to wait and see what happens I think!

Dave