IRN News finishes

Comments

• omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sat.Deelay wrote: »
    Just spotted that as well as SNR3, there's another audio channel labelled 5705 on the same frequency of 12.188 on Astra... Is this going to be used for another feed or similar?

Not sure about that but I noticed CNN Radio is still going on 12.051 V ('5606'), this also broadcasts a news bulletin on the hour and then various cuts and features. Does any UK station use this service? It's been going for years but i've never heard it anywhere..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure about that but I noticed CNN Radio is still going on 12.051 V ('5606'), this also broadcasts a news bulletin on the hour and then various cuts and features. Does any UK station use this service? It's been going for years but i've never heard it anywhere..

Me neither. It also seems an odd choice to be on a satellite targetting the UK, as generally the stories and cuts are mostly relating to the US.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 58
    Forum Member
    No, as of the contract handover at 1400 today the Astra 2B service has a 3 second delay. All stations have been informed about this to adjust automation accordingly.

Well gut feeling is that the Astra service is a relay off of the Sirius service. This would explain why there is a delay, but doesn't make a huge amount of sense, I would have thought it would be the other way around!!

W
  • scunnysteviescunnystevie Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    I notice most of you missed a key part to ITN's sign off of the IRN contract?
    The 90 second lead-in jingle played just before the main bulletin at 1pm was replaced with the Funeral March - was hilarious.
    Shame only real anoraks would have heard it. ha ha
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I notice most of you missed a key part to ITN's sign off of the IRN contract?
    The 90 second lead-in jingle played just before the main bulletin at 1pm was replaced with the Funeral March - was hilarious.
    Shame only real anoraks would have heard it. ha ha

I like it. :D
    Good to hear that they have a sense of humor, even though the majority of them will now be out of work.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 262
    Forum Member
    ITN produced IRN had the correct death toll for Tuesday's awful events in Pakistan. An hour later Sky produced IRN had it wrong. You pay peanuts you get monkeys, I suppose.

Pity IRN's decided to switch to an inferior news supplier.
  • the wellserthe wellser Posts: 4,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michael40 wrote: »
    ITN produced IRN had the correct death toll for Tuesday's awful events in Pakistan. An hour later Sky produced IRN had it wrong. You pay peanuts you get monkeys, I suppose.

I'm sure you could pick many holes in ITN bulletins over the years Sky are widely regarded as a better news organisation then ITN.
    Not many people would have chosen the ITV News Channel over Sky in the Iraq was for example.
    Forum Member
    I'm sure you could pick many holes in ITN bulletins over the years Sky are widely regarded as a better news organisation then ITN.
    Not many people would have chosen the ITV News Channel over Sky in the Iraq was for example.

By who?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By who?
    I was talking about the perception I get generally.

There is a certain regard people have Sky News that people just don't have for ITN brand.
  • James Martin 2James Martin 2 Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a personal thing but I already I'm very impressed by the journalistic quality from Sky.

That said, what did bother me is that last night they were leading with what was, ultimately, an item about a former Big Brother contestant.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a personal thing but I already I'm very impressed by the journalistic quality from Sky.

That said, what did bother me is that last night they were leading with what was, ultimately, an item about a former Big Brother contestant.

Really, that Craig Phillips can't keep himself out of the news can he!
  • robrymondukrobrymonduk Posts: 909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really, that Craig Phillips can't keep himself out of the news can he!

Love the wit ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone have the final IRN 90 bulletin as well? Find it odd the final IRn news was dry without clips, made it sound really quite dull.
  • airfixairfix Posts: 3,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about Bernie Barnham (sic) what's happened to him?
  • Miss SixtyMiss Sixty Posts: 1,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    airfix wrote: »

Barney Burnham still freelances for Sky News Radio as a newsreader and sports writer.

That's in between watching the rugby of course.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Having watched, literally, the rise of Sky News, during my 20 years in journalism, I can tell you that when it comes to TV most of my colleagues would tune to Sky for breaking news over ITN any day. For that reason alone, I suspect their radio service will do fine. It has a massive news-gathering organisation behind it and when we've all taken off our rose-tinted specs IRN will be about as relevent as Movietone newsreels!
  • TeleviixonMaltaTeleviixonMalta Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    from ITN this is Independent Radio News

That's nice, as I always remember that IRN bulletins ended by saying "Independent Radio News" and also just "IRN" on the IRN90 bulletin.

Andover Sound have reworked the news intro, which used to read "From the studios of ITN in London, the latest National and World News, this is 106.4 Andover Sound"

"ITN" bit has been replaced with "On air and online at andoversound.com"

I liked the fact that Andover Sound never tried to pretend that they were producing the news. So many stations try to.
  • wilson500wilson500 Posts: 1,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    airfix wrote: »

Bernie Barnham was on yesterday (Thursday) morning. I heard him read the 11am.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    That's nice, as I always remember that IRN bulletins ended by saying "Independent Radio News" and also just "IRN" on the IRN90 bulletin.

Andover Sound have reworked the news intro, which used to read "From the studios of ITN in London, the latest National and World News, this is 106.4 Andover Sound"

"ITN" bit has been replaced with "On air and online at andoversound.com"

I liked the fact that Andover Sound never tried to pretend that they were producing the news. So many stations try to.

Probably because IRN bulletins now start with the words "The Latest from the Sky News Centre"

... you really don't need to say that twice within 20 seconds !
    Forum Member
    IRN/Sky News Radio coverage of German massacre was pathetic. It took over fours after the story orginally broke for a clip to be networked. Bring back ITN (a decent news service) please!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has anyone else noticed Kelly Toland from IRN now calls herself Kelly Withers on Sky News. Her voice sounds exactly the same!
  • philenglandphilengland Posts: 8,176
    Forum Member
    Has anyone else noticed Kelly Toland from IRN now calls herself Kelly Withers on Sky News. Her voice sounds exactly the same!
    maybe she got married?
  • RedAmberGreen2RedAmberGreen2 Posts: 920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    maybe she got married?

a) It was Tolan, not Toland.
    b) Yes she did.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    Kelly, Anton Taloui and Harriet Castle are the only ITN/IRN newsreaders that I've heard transfer over to Sky News Radio.

Shame the excellent Verity Geere and Moira Alderson haven't been given a chance......yet.
  • CapitalLifeCapitalLife Posts: 650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indeed a shame, I worked with Moira doing the odd show where she was covering for another news reader. One day due to a technical hitch we discovered that she couldn't be heard from the news booth and only discovered this about 2 seconds into her next bulletin.

I called her (on the phone) and she ran down a floor or two during the next track to reach the studio and managed to read the bulletin calmly and compsed, despite being slightly out of breath and facing the fact that the bulletin was supposed to be full of audio clips that were not available in that studio, she also read to time perfectly.