Options

House Of Fools - New Vic & Bob Sitcom Starts Tues 14th Jan 10pm on BBC 2

Comments

• Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    I started to watch as it got rave reviews and I had appreciated Reeves other performances in Hebburn for example. Were the other 28 minutes substantially different after the settee pratfall then?
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    I started to watch as it got rave reviews and I had appreciated Reeves other performances in Hebburn for example. Were the other 28 minutes substantially different after the settee pratfall then?

At the point you turned off I was wondering if this was going to be rubbish, but it gradually got better and when the laughs came it actually made me laugh out loud at several points.
    So yes for me it got much better after the first couple of minutes.

Morgana Robinson was very good as the randy neighbour.

In some ways it had a lot in common with Toast of London.
  • Options
    charliesayscharliesays Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So good to have Vic & Bob back, nobody else is better at making me laugh like a small child.

This goes some way to the BBC correcting the massive wrong of cancelling Shooting Stars in favour of Buzzcocks.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't seen it yet.... but it sounds right up my pathetically childish street! Loved Vic and Bob for a long time. :D:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6Cy6_1IWBo
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had forgotten about this one, I'll check it out tonight I think.
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blockz99 wrote: »
    Bottom done this years ago and was much funnier . This might do for bob n Vic
    What Ben Elton's last sitcom did for Ben . The last time they were funny was 1992.

Regarding Bottom. I wonder if this show only exists because Ade pulled out of the new series they were going to do. It had been commissioned so I suspect the BBC went to Vic and Bob and offered them the money and timeslot.
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It was good in places like the silly songs each character sang when they entered the flat but the humour was very patchy. The funniest character was the friend who has a penchant for black women and the Norwegian (?) son.
  • Options
    mychmosemychmose Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved it! Hope they make a second series.

Was crying laughing at the testicular stretch.
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh and the Sandy Toskvig jokes were very funny also.
  • Options
    Black CrowBlack Crow Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have loved Vic and Bob since the Big Night Out days, but I couldn't watch this as it had the most annoying man in the world in it, Matt Berry. I just don't find him funny and he spoils everything he's in as far as I'm concerned. Glad it was funny though.
  • Options
    mychmosemychmose Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Black Crow wrote: »
    I have loved Vic and Bob since the Big Night Out days, but I couldn't watch this as it had the most annoying man in the world in it, Matt Berry. I just don't find him funny and he spoils everything he's in as far as I'm concerned. Glad it was funny though.

That's a shame. I like Matt Berry, but know what it's like to be irritated by a character. I think you have inspired me to create a thread!
  • Options
    timebugtimebug Posts: 18,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I posted earlier in this thread that I have an aversion to Matt Berry and his mugging to camera; well this (Matt Berry included!) was the funniest comedy I have watched for ages! Yes it's a 'Bottom' type of comedy,but so what? I love this and can't wait for more!
  • Options
    ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ripping off The Young Ones is always a good idea when all else fails.
    Vic and Bob are ok comics but terrible actors.
  • Options
    jhikerjhiker Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »

No, it got worse if anything. I endured the whole half-hour but I needed whisky. I shan't be tuning in next time.
    Completely witless and lacking in any humour whatever in my opinion.

Utter shite.
    Christ alone knows who this is supposed to appeal to.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    Completely mental and absolutely brilliant
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jhiker wrote: »
    No, it got worse if anything. I endured the whole half-hour but I needed whisky. I shan't be tuning in next time.
    Completely witless and lacking in any humour whatever in my opinion.

Utter shite.
    Christ alone knows who this is supposed to appeal to.

Me, I suppose.
    It was totally meaningless nonsense, but I couldn't help laughing out loud in places. I'll be watching again, there's nothing quite so completely bonkers on tv at the moment.
    But I can well imagine a lot of people hated it, my wife said she couldn't watch any more of it after 5 minutes and went straight to bed. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really enjoyed it over all. A few less toilet jokes and they may be onto a winner. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ironjade wrote: »

Vic was a damn good actor in the Victoria Wood play about Eric and Ernie as youngsters. He played Eric's dad and was very good at it. :)
  • Options
    adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ironjade wrote: »

Actually they are both good actors when they need to be, but House Of Fools doesn't require classic 'acting'.

I loved it. Typical Vic and Bob, very silly, but that's all it is meant to be - a daft, silly, bonkers 30 minutes in the company of a group people who are clearly having terrific fun. I'll be watching next week.
  • Options
    Aidan11Aidan11 Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Got this on Sky Planner to watch tonight.

Must admit though I have reservations about it. Is this a case of them still doing Big Night Out /Smell of...stuff again?

If so that was 20 odd years ago. We've all moved on since then.
  • Options
    TributeTribute Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only thing worse than their acting was the OTT studio audience laughter.
  • Options
    Super_FurrySuper_Furry Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I absolutely loved it.
    Vic & Bob do silly so well.
  • Options
    Toffee GuyToffee Guy Posts: 2,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely brilliant - loved it!

People are going to make Young Ones & Bottom comparisons due to the physical slapstick humour, but physical slapstick humour existed long before those 2 shows.

Can't wait for episode 2. Interesting to see them adopt the Mrs Browns Boys closing shot, showing how it was filmed in front of a studio audience.

Vic & Bob aren't stupid. The studio sitcom is now the in-thing and they are bang on trend.

I can see this becoming a hit. Might take a couple of series to fully gain momentum though.
  • Options
    ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    adams66 wrote: »
    Actually they are both good actors when they need to be, but House Of Fools doesn't require classic 'acting'.

I loved it. Typical Vic and Bob, very silly, but that's all it is meant to be - a daft, silly, bonkers 30 minutes in the company of a group people who are clearly having terrific fun. I'll be watching next week.

I guess they didn't need to be good actors in "Randall & Hopkirk(Deceased)" then.
    Incidentally, I do realise that saying a fictional character (Vic) playing another fictional character isn't a very good actor is something of a paradox.:confused:
  • Options
    allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    Regarding Bottom. I wonder if this show only exists because Ade pulled out of the new series they were going to do. It had been commissioned so I suspect the BBC went to Vic and Bob and offered them the money and timeslot.
    I doubt it very much. Just coincidence. Anyway, can you imagine BBC execs going to Vic and Bob saying something like:

"We've got a Bottom slot going spare, can you fill it" :D

It's not Vic and Bob doing Bottom, it's Vic and Bob being Vic and Bob. Shooting Stars was full of bizarre slapstick comedy.

I watched House of Fools because people I find funny were tweeting about it how good it was. The first few minutes were a bit weak but once it got going it has LOL funny. Will certainly keep watching.