Why do people care what others think?

IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
Forum Member
✭✭
I mean this purely from a science point of view, rather than psychologically speaking. I know im quite a self conscious person and all the rest of it but I wonder what the perhaps evolutionary side of it may be? there must be a good reason why some people are especially self conscious and seem to care more than others about how their perceived and I wondered if anyone knows if there's any science behind it?.

I think its good to have self awareness but if its taken to extremes then that can be detrimental in the long run.

Comments

• annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    because it affects how they treat you.
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    because it affects how they treat you.

Does it? not necessarily. What if its people who you have a hunch may be speaking badly of you behind your back but don't say so to your face?.
  • FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because if you're rejected by people who matter or that you care about then that will be problematic and you'll get hurt?

I tend to only really care if someone matters to me but also want people to take me for me so I don't care a huge amount, in the sense that I don't fret over what people think of me.
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do not care, I do not do bad things or act badly, It is what I think that matters to me.
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IzzyS wrote: »
    Does it? not necessarily. What if its people who you have a hunch may be speaking badly of you behind your back but don't say so to your face?.
    "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because the person could be looking for a reaction to confirm their own opinion or the person wants the (hopefully positive) attention.
    Forum Member

that is affecting how someone is treating you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."

So why do people feel that way then, is what I mean? other than just saying insecurities or similar. There's no safety type reason for it, if you know what I mean?.
    that is affecting how someone is treating you.

Maybe.
    Forum Member
    So why do people feel that way then, is what I mean? other than just saying insecurities or similar. There's no safety type reason for it, if you know what I mean?.

Maybe.

definitely, if someone is chatting shit about you behind your back and blackening your name that is a form of bullying.

http://www.problemneighbours.co.uk/neighbours-spreading-rumours-about-you.html
  • MikeJWMikeJW Posts: 3,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder what the perhaps evolutionary side of it may be?
    In a dangerous world groups are important. People need to work together, so maintaining consensus matters. If you care what others think then you're more likely to go along with the group view, and peace will be maintained. Probably.

Now the world isn't as dangerous, we can afford to be individuals, do what we want much more. We'll still be rejected by some people for doing that, but as our society values individuality then others will appreciate it, and we'll probably still be okay (depending how far you go, I suppose).
  • Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I mean this purely from a science point of view, rather than psychologically speaking. I know im quite a self conscious person and all the rest of it but I wonder what the perhaps evolutionary side of it may be? there must be a good reason why some people are especially self conscious and seem to care more than others about how their perceived and I wondered if anyone knows if there's any science behind it?.

I think its good to have self awareness but if its taken to extremes then that can be detrimental in the long run.
    Consider two groups of people. Which group would thrive? One made up of those who care for each other, or the group that is totally indifferent to the needs of others in the tribe.

The "selfish gene" theory would have us believe that the "group" is the family group, but the mechanism that protects the family could be one that simply "cares for others"
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably because no one wants to be at the bottom of a pecking order anywhere any time. It's the law of the living including people and animals.

I think people feel self-conscious about what the others think because they're acutely aware of their own weaknesses, regardless of whether those are actually weaknesses or not, that may put them at the bottom of that order.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 366
    Forum Member
    People are now like sheep, they follow each other. The media encourages it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    definitely, if someone is chatting shit about you behind your back and blackening your name that is a form of bullying.

http://www.problemneighbours.co.uk/neighbours-spreading-rumours-about-you.html

Yes and thats happened before but when I bring it up with friends and family (etc.), they tend to say its best just to rise above it and that it says more about the people who gossip about you, than you yourself (if you know what I mean). At the end of the day, I've learnt that you can't please everyone. Like my mum has said, you need to develop a thick skin, for your own good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MikeJW wrote: »
    In a dangerous world groups are important. People need to work together, so maintaining consensus matters. If you care what others think then you're more likely to go along with the group view, and peace will be maintained. Probably.

Now the world isn't as dangerous, we can afford to be individuals, do what we want much more. We'll still be rejected by some people for doing that, but as our society values individuality then others will appreciate it, and we'll probably still be okay (depending how far you go, I suppose).

I suppose so. I guess it depends on the extent, of your individuality as to whether people appreciate it or not(?).
    Keiō Line wrote: »
    Consider two groups of people. Which group would thrive? One made up of those who care for each other, or the group that is totally indifferent to the needs of others in the tribe.

The "selfish gene" theory would have us believe that the "group" is the family group, but the mechanism that protects the family could be one that simply "cares for others"

Thats true but I do care for other people, I just try and overlook some things. I don't see what good it does to be upset by people being overly judgemental and quite possibly making wrong assumptions about you?.
    People are now like sheep, they follow each other. The media encourages it.

Not everyone - not necessarily. I do feel pretty self conscious about some things but then I'm not entirely sure why, in as much as its not like im hurting anyone, I just have some maybe slightly random likes and things I guess? I don't know.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose so. I guess it depends on the extent, of your individuality as to whether people appreciate it or not(?).
    You were talking about the evolutionary argument, and I think that's mostly about keeping the group together. A little individuality must also be good, for people to argue for better ways of doing things...? But as you say, the further you go, the more problems you might have.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MikeJW wrote: »
    You were talking about the evolutionary argument, and I think that's mostly about keeping the group together. A little individuality must also be good, for people to argue for better ways of doing things...? But as you say, the further you go, the more problems you might have.

I presume you have to have the ability to think outside the box, which I guess links to individuality, otherwise in a way evolution wouldn't happen because who would have thought to invent the wheel etc., if someone didn't originally have the thought? if that makes sense.
  • lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you mean why do we care what others think about us personally, or just in general?

On the personal level i think we have a deep desire to know, whether to feel better about ourselves by getting good feedback, or in order to change parts of ourselves that may be getting negative feedback, evolution-wise it may be to do with fitting into society.

On the general side, we like to have other opinions because it leads to gained knowledge, the more we know the more we can make informed decisions.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I presume you have to have the ability to think outside the box, which I guess links to individuality, otherwise in a way evolution wouldn't happen because who would have thought to invent the wheel etc., if someone didn't originally have the thought? if that makes sense.
    Sure it does. That's kind of what I meant, it's a balance. You can't have complete consensus all the time, because that just means no-one makes decisions. People must be able to debate and argue. But there has to be enough caring about the group for everyone to come together again once they've decided on some action.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    For me it's simple. I only really care about what my family think, and to a lesser extent my friends and colleagues, mainly as they can come and go.

For everyone else, and that includes strangers on the street and online random types who I have never met, I couldn't give a monkey bollock what they think as they are of no bearing on my life.

Some people have a disproportionate need for longing and being wanted and/or popular, hence this incessant need to have adulation thrown at them. Most of the time these people turn out to be egomaniacs or just plain annoying.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    Why do people think people care what they think?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meilie wrote: »
    Why do people think people care what they think?

It depends on the person but I know I was very hurt by things in the past. When I read people say that they grew out of caring what others think and people say 'you just need to grow a thicker skin' and other, similar things, it makes me wonder why am I so different then and I doubt im the only one who may be bothered if certain, rather offensive things are said. Mild criticisms are one thing - probably the most hurtful thing, however, is when people you believed to be friends (or at least were on good terms beforehand) talk scathingly about you behind your back. Thats old news anyway, happened a good few years ago all of that but yet talking to a friend via email, its becoming clear to her how self conscious I am and its just making me think (again! I think too much). I wonder where everything comes from.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me it's simple. I only really care about what my family think, and to a lesser extent my friends and colleagues, mainly as they can come and go.

For everyone else, and that includes strangers on the street and online random types who I have never met, I couldn't give a monkey bollock what they think as they are of no bearing on my life.

Some people have a disproportionate need for longing and being wanted and/or popular, hence this incessant need to have adulation thrown at them. Most of the time these people turn out to be egomaniacs or just plain annoying.

I wouldn't say I need adulation - heck I feel uncomfortable with some of the compliments I've been given. I'd say acceptance is more applicable, at least personally speaking anyway. I just find it sad that I seem to feel that way and I wonder where that sort of thing stems from. I'm certainly not an egomaniac lol but yeah, I imagine I can be annoying :D
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't really care what others think.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't say I need adulation - heck I feel uncomfortable with some of the compliments I've been given. I'd say acceptance is more applicable, at least personally speaking anyway. I just find it sad that I seem to feel that way and I wonder where that sort of thing stems from. I'm certainly not an egomaniac lol but yeah, I imagine I can be annoying :D

Acceptance is a lesser form of adulation. Do you feel the need to be accepted by people you don't know? Is it to get something that you are missing out on in real life?