Options

Blu-ray burning software

BlurayBluray Posts: 661
Forum Member
✭✭
I've recently got a new pc which at long last means i can burn blu-rays.

What are some of the best burning software's out there?

I've tried two trial versions (DVDFAB & Leawoo) but they took 3+ hours to burn - is that normal? Or is that more to do with my PC.

I'm not a pc expert :o

Comments

• Options
    uniqueunique Posts: 12,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nero burning rom is great. imgburn is free and light

http://www.imgburn.com/

3 hours to burn a dvd is a loooooong time. it sounds like the free trial software has burned at 1x speed. with the latest 12x + speed burners a single layer disc should take about 20 minutes or less
  • Options
    cp2cp2 Posts: 957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that you may need to differentiate between authoring a bluray disc and burning a bluray disc.
    Authoring puts the files (films/ programmes) that you wish to put on disc into a format that a bluray player will accept with menus and chapters.
    You can burn files direct to disc but you are more likely to have playback problems on a bluray player as it may not like the file format/structure.
    If all you want to do is burn files onto a bluray disc then Imgburn (free) will do the job.
    If you do want to create discs with a good chance of them playing on a bluray player then MultiAvchd will do that (also free, though development appears to have stopped).
    Authoring programmes can take a long time to process files, particularly when they insist on recompiling file formats when they don't really need to. MultiAvchd doesn't do that.
    MultiAvchd to author the files and Imgburn to burn the disc is the combo I use.

There is a steep learning curve with burning successful bluray discs!
  • Options
    BlurayBluray Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the advice/tips.

I'll look at MultiAvchd and Imgburn over the weekend.
  • Options
    dmpdmp Posts: 3,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry for the late reply, I use nero 10, works well and yes it can take 3 hours to burn a blu ray disc as most discs are only 1 or 2x so nearly real time recording, I recorded 4 films to a br be dl the other night and let it run overnight, that way it doesn't interfere with any other functions.
    Dave
  • Options
    cp2cp2 Posts: 957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dmp - the reason that Nero takes so long is its insistence on recompiling the file into what it considers to be the correct Bluray standard. This is usually not neccesary.
    However, having said this, after trying different approaches and creating a few coasters, I would say that if it works for you carry on using Nero.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    i use nero 12 platinum. it has everything, not just used for burning. A pretty cool package.