Options

The long term unemployed, send them on an outward bounds course for three weeks.

13»

Comments

• Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Awww, that seems totally unfair.

Can't employed people go as well?

As a contract-worker, I'd seriously consider getting myself laid-off for a month if it meant I could go raft-building and mountain-climbing. :blush:
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jenzie wrote: »
    can we not sent the OP into the wilderness .....
    This looks ideal.

At just a tad over half a million quid, a piece of cake for the zero contracted minimum wage worker with 'connections' to a very secretive mortgage broker who dishes out the most amazing 'mortgages'.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    haphash wrote: »
    This might be enjoyable for the younger people but not so much for the older ones!

Why not. Older people still like to do things.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, it has been shown that being in the outdoors does improve psychological wellbeing.

Mind you, with some of the perpetual whingers on here, it could be a free holiday in Tunisia, contraceptives supplied and they'd still find something to moan about.:p

Exactly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Post something on a public forum, get annoyed because not everyone shares your views.

People have different views and opinions, and they are entitled to voice those views and opinions on a public forum as you are.

I'm not annoyed. I'm talking from a recent experience where I had to go on a job hunting course, sign on etc.
    Thankfully, I now have a job.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    3 weeks outward bounds sounds rather easy...wake up get fed breakfast...go outside till 1pm..go back in for lunch...2-6 doing something else then back in for tea..off to the pub at 8 for a few hours and back in bed

they're not going to do anything thats H&S risky so anything sharper than a dull butter knife won't be used so it'll end up 3 weeks of crappy team building exercises that probably have to be done indoors incase someone slips and sues the site
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    3 weeks outward bounds sounds rather easy...wake up get fed breakfast...go outside till 1pm..go back in for lunch...2-6 doing something else then back in for tea..off to the pub at 8 for a few hours and back in bed

they're not going to do anything thats H&S risky so anything sharper than a dull butter knife won't be used so it'll end up 3 weeks of crappy team building exercises that probably have to be done indoors incase someone slips and sues the site

Teach them to mountain climb or something. Doesn't prince Charles do something similar.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,391
    Forum Member
    Esther McVey just announced a new scheme. The long term unemployed will be required to climb K2 in winter. When asked for comment she said "well, somebody's got to be the first to do it, right?"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How would that make them feel good about themselves?

Yeah. How would being forced into something be any different to how things are now? They made me feel the opposite - I'd want to do it even less, and would rather sign up to something on my own accord.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    How would this scheme, which let's face it will be hideously expensive to implement, help the unemployed find work?.

Stop evading difficult questions Paul, answer them. You used the same tactics of evading questions you couldn't answer in your other thread the other day.

Many long term unemployed have children, and many are single parents. Who arranges and pays for childcare while these thousands of parents are away for a week or two?.

How, while on this course, do they meet their mandatory job search obligations?. If an unemployed person today takes a week away from home they lose their JSA, because if they are on a holiday they are deemed to be unable to jobsearch properly.

JSA claimants only account for a tiny percentage of all benefit claimants, so does your scheme only affect them or the 97% of claimants who claim other benefits?.

Serious questions.

Personally I'd quite happily have a week away on such a course, but what's the point if it proves to be hugely expensive for the taxpayer and does nothing to help secure employment?.
  • Options
    Bob_WhingerBob_Whinger Posts: 1,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe IDS has a similar pilot of this scheme. The unemployed are transported to an `outward bound` camp on the Yorkshire moors. The camp has barbed wire fence around of course, to keep out immigrant scroungers. The unemployed in the camp are given re-education and training.

This is still the interim scheme.
    IDS is still working on his Final Solution.
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    :o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o

<hands Oscar over for best comment yet>

I think it's lost on most of this audience, sadly.
  • Options
    jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    *paul* wrote: »
    After my recent experience of signing on, that is my proposition. Give them something to make them feel good about themselves.

:)

Wouldnt that make them unavailable for work, therefore they would be sanctioned?