Options

Steve Wright Longest serving Afternoon Show

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone else just hear Steve Wright's interview with PJ O'Rourke?

Perhaps he nodded off whilst playing out the interview, and spilt coffee on the buttons?
  • Options
    RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of my irritations with Steve Wright is in the (so called) Non-Stop Oldies section when he stops off to witter on about the Viral Video of the Day. By all means, go on about it, but NOT in the middle of the only section of the show where a listener has chosen some songs. They get precious little time as it is, so shut up!
  • Options
    beermolebeermole Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    Totally agree RoseAnne.

I don't normally hear much of SW as I'm at work but yesterday I was at the dentist for an hour and they had Radio 2 playing (please, no jokes about which was more painful!). Steve introduced the non stop oldies at 3 o'clock and... what a misnomer! He prattled away in between songs just as normal and towards the end he was talking so much I thought the feature had ended!

Nice to have an oldies selection but it either needs a name change or for Steve to shut up!
  • Options
    farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^^^ Yes. Constantly talks over the beginning and the end of songs. He ruined B.O.C's "don't fear the reaper" recently.
    Thumbs down Steve.
  • Options
    RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I may be mis-remembering here, but many years ago, didn't the Oldies use to start around 14:50?
  • Options
    RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RoseAnne wrote: »
    I may be mis-remembering here, but many years ago, didn't the Oldies use to start around 14:50?

They did indeed. Made the whole "non stop" oldies concept even more pointless than now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Started in 1981 and still doing the same thing to this day! He is well past his best now and I would like to see him leave and give someone else a go on radio 2.
  • Options
    Black CrowBlack Crow Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chris983 wrote: »
    Started in 1981 and still doing the same thing to this day! He is well past his best now and I would like to see him leave and give someone else a go on radio 2.

He isn't doing the same now as he was in 1981. His show in the eighties was full of characters and comedy bits, like Mr Angry, Sid the Manager etc. His show now has none of that kind of thing. It's a much more straight forward show with a few sections with the posse.

He might not be to everyone's taste, but he has a huge audience. And i would rather listen to him than any of 'celebrity' presenters like Miranda, Davina, Steve Jones, Alex Jones, Claudia and the like.
  • Options
    dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Radiogram wrote: »
    They did indeed. Made the whole "non stop" oldies concept even more pointless than now.

I seem to remember when he took over Radio 2 afternoons they were supposed to start at 2.30 (45 minutes?) and he always used to promote it as that. However they never did and he always made it sound like he had to fit other content in before the oldies!
  • Options
    James30James30 Posts: 5,229
    Forum Member

Richard Allison would be perfect in that slot. He's covered the show a few times and sounds just right.

He's entertaining with intelligent links without dropping to the level of 'cheese'
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Black Crow wrote: »
    He isn't doing the same now as he was in 1981. His show in the eighties was full of characters and comedy bits, like Mr Angry, Sid the Manager etc. His show now has none of that kind of thing. It's a much more straight forward show with a few sections with the posse.

He might not be to everyone's taste, but he has a huge audience. And i would rather listen to him than any of 'celebrity' presenters like Miranda, Davina, Steve Jones, Alex Jones, Claudia and the like.

He is broadcasting on the most listened to radio station in the UK so it can't be hard to pull an audience!
    Yeah no characters but same boring waffle!
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James30 wrote: »
    Richard Allison would be perfect in that slot. He's covered the show a few times and sounds just right.

He's entertaining with intelligent links without dropping to the level of 'cheese'

Why do a few people keep wanting Allison to take over every other Radio 2 programme? I don't particularly like Steve Wright but can tolerate in small doses. Allinson is switched off immediately.

I tend to listen to Stuart Maconie and Mark Radcliffe in the afternoon, I was bit worried earlier in the week. They were doing a stunt with one pretending to be Bob Dylan (very badly), I was wondering whether they trying to outdo Steve Wright with silly characters. Perhaps they were just taking the p### out of Steve Wright.
  • Options
    James30James30 Posts: 5,229
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    Why do a few people keep wanting Allison to take over every other Radio 2 programme? I don't particularly like Steve Wright but can tolerate in small doses. Allinson is switched off immediately.

I tend to listen to Stuart Maconie and Mark Radcliffe in the afternoon, I was bit worried earlier in the week. They were doing a stunt with one pretending to be Bob Dylan (very badly), I was wondering whether they trying to outdo Steve Wright with silly characters. Perhaps they were just taking the p### out of Steve Wright.

Because he's been at Radio 2 since 1997 and always gets moved aside when a slot comes up or changes are made, about time he was slotted in somewhere other than weekend overnights. He's been dropped from that now.
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

2.45 -3.30 Non Stop Oldies. ' The jingle went like. Unfortunately it never worked then either. :D
  • Options
    hallchallc Posts: 201,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really dislike that " hands up" rubbish at the start of his prog, grow up man
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because he's been at Radio 2 since 1997 and always gets moved aside when a slot comes up or changes are made, about time he was slotted in somewhere other than weekend overnights. He's been dropped from that now.

How many radio stations choose presenters of programmes, particularly in important time slots like the afternoon, purely on seniority? I can't imagine it happening anywhere and there probably people at Radio 2 with longer service who should get priority by that argument.
  • Options
    iain_stevenson1iain_stevenson1 Posts: 1,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think he's doing a week in july

Does anyone remember when Steve did the sunday show on radio one? I remember he did a spoof of the 'who shot JR' thing except it was 'who shot Mr Angry' ,because he was shot live on air one day while doing a rant. I remember being quite gutted about Mr Angry being killed off
  • Options
    Mrs MillsMrs Mills Posts: 873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of my irritations with Steve Wright is in the (so called) Non-Stop Oldies section when he stops off to witter on about the Viral Video of the Day. By all means, go on about it, but NOT in the middle of the only section of the show where a listener has chosen some songs. They get precious little time as it is, so shut up!

Non-stop oldies means they will not stop for modern stuff between the oldies not that the oldies will come non stop without any chat!
  • Options
    iain_stevenson1iain_stevenson1 Posts: 1,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Steve Wright will never retire. he has no life away from the radio.he will die in the job like John Peel did
  • Options
    Apprentice 2 SAApprentice 2 SA Posts: 2,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve Wright will never retire. he has no life away from the radio.he will die in the job like John Peel did

Radio is his life. His job is his hobby. Lucky man.
  • Options
    GeordieyodelGeordieyodel Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would have thought he would easily see out the decade, then perhaps another decade on a weekend show. A new Weekend Breakfast?
  • Options
    NokiaNokiaNokiaNokia Posts: 1,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he's doing a week in july

Does anyone remember when Steve did the sunday show on radio one? I remember he did a spoof of the 'who shot JR' thing except it was 'who shot Mr Angry' ,because he was shot live on air one day while doing a rant. I remember being quite gutted about Mr Angry being killed off

Mr Angry didn't die, he recovered in hospital and Steve Wright spoke to him when he was recovering at home.

And yes, the Sunday show was fun - and because of this show he didn't do Fridays!
  • Options
    Black CrowBlack Crow Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NokiaNokia wrote: »
    Mr Angry didn't die, he recovered in hospital and Steve Wright spoke to him when he was recovering at home.

And yes, the Sunday show was fun - and because of this show he didn't do Fridays!

Wasn't this around the time that Adrian John did the Friday afternoon show with a wind up show or something like that.
  • Options
    Tazman1966Tazman1966 Posts: 373
    Forum Member
    Not sure about Adrian John but I remember Mark Page doing Friday's afternoon show.
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jo Whiley covers she does a completely different show which is slightly more music orientated similar to her evening show. I dont know if that would work if she was too take on the slot? Guess she's anether safe pair of hands. Where as Patrick Kielty just rabbits on. Wonder if Tarrant will do the show again as l liked his choice of music and shows. Richard Allinson will always be good in every slot as hes had practice covering most, apart from Jeremy Vine. Mark Goodier was good cover too.