The teenager hunting wild animals in Africa to try and get a TV show

Comments

• nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    charlie1 wrote: »
    There are less than 40,000 Lions in the wild, which puts them on the list as vulnerable....

... and how many lions are actually just being bred in captivity, rather like cattle and sheep, for the purpose of being killed?

'Canned hunting': the lions bred for slaughter
    Canned hunting is a fast-growing business in South Africa, where thousands of lions are being bred on farms to be shot by wealthy foreign trophy-hunters
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    That's a cooked chicken and not just after it's been killed.

The Melissa Bachman thread from a few months ago followed a similar trajectory as this one, and at one point someone posted a link to a petition to have her banned from ever entering South Africa again. Not a petition to ban all of the other big game trophy hunters, or to even have trophy hunting banned altogether... just her. Because she posted a picture and, I surmise, reminded everyone of how sweet and lovable their Sunday roast used to be.
  • charlie1charlie1 Posts: 10,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nanscombe wrote: »
    ... and how many lions are actually just being bred in captivity, rather like cattle and sheep, for the purpose of being killed?

'Canned hunting': the lions bred for slaughter

Yes I know about canned hunting. :(
    That was on my mind when I was making my post, so maybe I should have mentioned it.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,268
    Forum Member
    epicurian wrote: »
    Look at this smug git http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/jamieoliverprod/_int/rdb2/upload/294_1_1350900104_lrg.jpg

How dare he show off. Somebody give him a packet of Quorn.

If you truly think that's the same thing or as important as that little bitch sitting on the lion then your more deluded than i ever thought.
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    Some of you won't like reading this. But every time one of these disturbing stories is posted about glory, trophy hunters posting online with their kills and smiling, it evokes lots of angry, hateful, disgusted comments on the internet and then they and their supporters argue back with it's conservation, it's population control and other boring but not very justifying or convincing yawnfest standpoints and then they still get to go back and hunt some more and nothing changes.

What needs to happen is for someone on the planet is for someone to shoot one of these trophy hunters which will send a message that this "hobby" is acutely dangerous and it will discourage others from going down the same path.

It sounds like I'm advocating it, I'm almost in that territory because I'm hoping I will one day hear a news story that this has happened, and I think with some of the shootings you get around the world that there is actually quite a good statistical chance of it happening at some point. It will have a good deterring effect on future trophy hunters, they would I think in response to someone of their kind getting shot they would be more likely to keep their head down and not post too many pictures on the internet and not be so keen to try and get TV programmes made about them (like that Melissa one on The pursuit channel) because of the personal danger they would be putting themselves in. Right now they seem to think they are quite safe, which to be honest I hope they are not.

Instead of the usual angry comments that still permit them to hunt because society doesn't protect vulnerable animals, a saboteur operation is needed against these people in African countries.

That wouldnt make the slightest bit of difference at all.

How many innocent people have been shot to death in america? There are always stories of school shootings, kids playing with guns and killing their siblings, crazy people going postal, shooting sprees etc. and still they wont give up their guns.

One trophy hunter or 1000 could be killed, theyd still cling to their weapons and carry on shooting for the "fun" of it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Being shot doesn't deter poachers so why would it deter legal hunters?

With any luck the vigilante gunman would end up being shot or simply swinging from a tree ...

Even if he were only wounded I'm sure the cuddly lions would look after him.
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    One thing i do wonder though, do hunters ever get accidently shot by other hunters?

When you see pictures of them dressed in their camo and hiding, would it be possible for another hunter nearby to mistake their movement for an animal?

Or is it something that just never happens?
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    [QUOTE=Tt88;73480544]One thing i do wonder though, do hunters ever get accidently shot by other hunters?

When you see pictures of them dressed in their camo and hiding, would it be possible for another hunter nearby to mistake their movement for an animal?

Or is it something that just never happens?[/QUOTE]

Indeed they do. When you see contemporary photos of American hunters, they are quite often wearing orange hi-vis vests over their camouflage. This is precisely because they were accidentally shooting each other on occasion, I believe.
  • CSJBCSJB Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    Tt88 wrote: »
    One thing i do wonder though, do hunters ever get accidently shot by other hunters?

Or is it something that just never happens?

It always brings a smile to my face when I read about the morons shooting each other.
    For some reason shooting family members seems a quite popular pastime among hunters of North America. :D
    Forum Member
    vinba wrote: »
    I have any idea.. Why not raise the stakes? The hunters shoot poachers

a) It's fairer. One load of people with guns along against another load of people with guns.
    b) It's in a good cause
    c) You would have a unique trophy hanging over your mantle piece.

Well, oddly enough, it has already been tried, years ago IIRC (using game wardens rather than hunters). However, the bleeding heart milquetoasts who donate to wildlife charities were not happy with this sort of rigorous enforcement and threatened to withdraw funding until more humane methods of law enforcement were employed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    If you truly think that's the same thing or as important as that little bitch sitting on the lion then your more deluded than i ever thought.

I've explained why I don't see a moral difference. Why don't you explain why you do, instead grandstanding?
    Forum Member
    CSJB wrote: »
    It always brings a smile to my face when I read about the morons shooting each other.
    For some reason shooting family members seems a quite popular pastime among hunters of North America. :D

An attiitude that does you great credit. Do you have a little chuckle to yourself when people get killed in car accidents as well?
  • duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I win the big Euromillions, I'm not giving money to the WWF or whoever to protect wildlife. I'm going to hire a couple of Serbian snipers to sit up trees and blow these ***** heads off. That will make the hunt fair I think.

I hope she dies in a horrible hunting accident if I'm honest.
  • Louise32Louise32 Posts: 6,784
    Forum Member
    Of course vegans are complicit in the slaughter of animals. For a start, how do you think the farmers prevent the rabbits eating your precious fruit and vegetables when they are growing?

If you consume power, drive a car, use public transport, use medical services, buy imported food - pretty much anything, you are using the products and services that are only there becasue of the killing of animals, either deliberately or incidentally.

Edit: whoops, beaten to it...:blush:

As I stated previously no-body is perfect but the difference is vegetarians and vegans are at the very least making an effort to try and reduce suffering.

You just sit on your backside and come up with a list of pathetic excuses not to take action to try and make the world a more compassionate place.

On the grounds of at least making an effort we have the moral high ground.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Louise32 wrote: »
    As I stated previously no-body is perfect but the difference is vegetarians and vegans are at the very least making an effort to try and reduce suffering.

You just sit on your backside and come up with a list of pathetic excuses not to take action to try and make the world a more compassionate place.

I give credit to vegans and vegetarians who put their money with their mouth is. I have no time, however, for the meat-eaters who would call this girl a bitch and lust for her death. Supercilious nitwits, they are.
    Forum Member
    Undoubtedly she's an evil bitch but she should get jail time instead.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Has she committed a crime?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ... On the grounds of at least making an effort we have the moral high ground.
    epicurian wrote: »
    Has she committed a crime?

I doubt it but I bet some of those claiming the high ground are coming close to malicious communication on social media.
    Forum Member
    It should be classed as a crime. In my opinion anyway.

Make it illegal if not already.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ... Make it illegal if not already.

Make what illegal? Hunting or getting a sense of enjoyment from it?
    Forum Member
    Hunting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Control - yes. Ban - no.

Anyway, since it's not in this country there's nothing you can do about it. Nor could that other lot with their previous petition.
    Forum Member
    I'd like to see it banned.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,416
    Forum Member
    dee123 wrote: »
    If you are hunting for food or population control, that's fine. But for trying to get a TV show???

It's gross. I don't buy her bulls**t explanations.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/06/30/kendall-jones-facebook-hunter-africa_n_5543364.html

Look how proud she is sitting on that poor lion. The smug cow.

Indeed, dee123. What that airbrain degenerate moron hasn't realised is that commercial broadcasting groups really won't want to have anything to do with anyone who does highly controversial things that will drive away programme sponsors and advertisers.

#thickbitch
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member

Well, no.

You simply have one narrow-minded view of what's "good" and "bad" and are using it to dismiss anything which doesn't fit your view.

Warm, fuzzy, concepts such as compassion don't prevent lions from over-predating the prey populations on that land that remains available to them.
    People with guns make that happen and, in reality, chances are they're doing a helluva lot more to conserve wildlife than you're doing by buying your fair-trade lentils from an organic vendor in Hackney and refusing to consider stuff like that certainly doesn't give you any moral high-ground at all.