People who break the rules, get caught, then run crying to the papers!

Kyle123Kyle123 Posts: 25,782
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Does this bug anyone else? I feel like these type of stories are cropping up all the time recently, and it bugs me how people always seem to get off lightly as soon as they bring the press into things.

A few days ago, the front page(!!) of my local paper contained a story about a group of families who had receieved parking tickets. They had all gone to the local beach for the day and parked along the pavement on the promenade, blocking parts of both the cycle route and the pedestrian route and forcing anyone with a pram or a wheelchair etc onto the road. There really was no need to park there, as there's a massive carpark literally across the road from where they plonked their cars. Speaking from experience, it's never close to being full, even on the busiest of Summer days, and even on the off chance that it was, there's waste ground five minutes up the road that has always served as an unoffical carpark too. The families returned later that afternoon to find tickets slapped across their windscreen, and promptly ran to the papers, wailing about how unfair the whole thing was. They cried all sorts: "the carkpark was full", "they couldn't possibly afford to pay to park in the Summer holidays" (note: parking costs £2.50 for a full day) and that "the fine is ridiculously steep!" Their sob stories ended up being on the front page that day, and I've just seen someone on Facebook comment that the fines are apparently being reduced.

This type of situation seems to crop up all the time recently. It'll be September before we know it, and you can almost guarantee that by the end of the first week of school, there'll be stories from parents whining about their children being told to go home for the day, because they allowed them to dye their hair green, when school rules don't allow drastic hair colours.

Sometimes people are genuinely hard done by, falling foul of silly rules that make little or no sense, but all to often you just see people whining because they got caught doing things that they weren't supposed too. We all break the rules from time to time, but I hate the increasing notion that if you complain loudly enough, you'll probably get away with it.

Comments

• mooblymoobly Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    They can't take responsibility for their actions - it definitely MUST be someone else's fault. £2.50 parking for the whole day? happy days! :)
  • thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This should probably be one for the unpopular opinions thread, but I never have any sympathy for people who whinge about parking fines, except where the fine was genuinely misapplied (e.g. 10mins before the ticket expired), or circumstances beyond their control (had a heart attack etc).

You pay money for the amount of time you need and you use it for that amount of time, it's not difficult. The inspectors can't hang around a car for ten minutes past it's due time just to see if the person is back in a 'fair' amount of time. If they don't ticket it then they may not be back for another hour or more, by which time the person could be well over.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The things that some people will go running to the tabloids for is laughably ridiculous. It makes you wonder how the person running the story managed to keep a straight face.
  • housegirlhousegirl Posts: 6,017
    Forum Member
  • malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,639
    Forum Member
    The Daily Mail almost constantly has a 'Sad Face' story of some total gonk who took their phone on holiday to somewhere exotic, left the data roaming switched on and racked up a bill of £3000 and are now refusing to pay it.

The Great British Public love nothing better than to shirk any responsibility..
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Car park fines are usually reduced if you pay within 7 or 14 days.

I passed someone parked in a bus stop this week. There was a massive lay by only 10 metres further on.
  • AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    housegirl wrote: »

"I am a solicitor, I do understand the law, but there's a part of the promenade that nobody walks on, and there were already dozens of cars, so I parked there."

Remind me to never take legal advice from this genius.

I've no issue with enforcement when it comes to parking like that. It's an entirely different issue from the cowboy chancers in the article tim59 linked above.
  • Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're complaining about having to pay £2.50 for a full day??

Places where I go it costs you that much for 2 hours!
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe these are presented as cautionary tales - eg people whose kids have racked up huge charges on pay to play online computer games getting their fees waived and young drivers whose slavish devotion to their sat-navs see them parked across level crossings with the train oncoming.
  • Scarlet FeverScarlet Fever Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    Aftershow wrote: »
    "I am a solicitor, I do understand the law, but there's a part of the promenade that nobody walks on, and there were already dozens of cars, so I parked there."

Remind me to never take legal advice from this genius.

I've no issue with enforcement when it comes to parking like that. It's an entirely different issue from the cowboy chancers in the article tim59 linked above.

Mrs Davies-Wood had gone out for the first time in a number of months, on the advice of her counsellor, because she is currently off work as a district nurse after being attacked.

"It was my first time out and this has happened, it's put me back a good few steps in my recovery," she said.

and thats the parking attendants fault as well, what a b*stard!
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    Car park fines are usually reduced if you pay within 7 or 14 days.

I passed someone parked in a bus stop this week. There was a massive lay by only 10 metres further on.

That's one of my many gripes. :p Especially when someone's standing at the bus stop and so it's obvious they're waiting for a bus, and when it does come have to rush up the road to stop it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    That's one of my many gripes. :p Especially when someone's standing at the bus stop and so it's obvious they're waiting for a bus, and when it does come have to rush up the road to stop it.

In some cities there are bylaws that mean you cannot park in marked bus stops, or you face a fine. In many cities, such as in Edinburgh, the buses are also fitted with front mounted cameras that are used to catch people parking in bus stops and driving into bus lanes when they aren't allowed to, and they get fined. Quite right too.

People here are always complaining that the buses have their back end stuck out into the roads, meaning they can't get past. But it is their fellow car and van drivers that park within the clearly marked bus stops here, causing the bus to have to stick it's back end out. The local Council also put proper tarmac down on a back lane that runs behind the houses on the main street, specifically to allow the owners to park their cars there. But they still park on the main road and in the bus stops.

The ones that really annoy me though are those who park so far over on the pavement you cannot get past, and have to walk into the road to get by.
  • FIN-MANFIN-MAN Posts: 1,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

haha that picture is hilarious. Look at all the sad faces acting like they have been persecuted... except the little boy in the bottom right hand corner. He didn't get the memo, smiling with a big grin and striking a pose.
    Forum Member
    They should be on this website:
    http://apiln.blogspot.co.uk/

Angry people in local papers.
  • TheGreatKatsbyTheGreatKatsby Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    Yes, OP, drives me crazy when I see these type of people in the papers. They're shameless - if only they weren't given the oxygen of publicity.

You've already beaten me to it but for me the worst offenders are the parents who decide their child shouldn't have to follow school rules and then bleat to the papers when their child is suspended. Although it is quite amusing to see the sad-faced child with their stupid hairdo.
    Forum Member
    FIN-MAN wrote: »
    haha that picture is hilarious. Look at all the sad faces acting like they have been persecuted... except the little boy in the bottom right hand corner. He didn't get the memo, smiling with a big grin and striking a pose.

If you look close it is just adults who look sad the children look like I'm little I look sad anyway, I'm a smiley so try to look sad mom said, little boy I'm going To be in the paper high 5. :D
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Serves them right. It's blatantly obvious that they shouldn't be parked there. Maybe to counter-act those sad faces they should show someone in a wheelchair and a blind person struggling to get past their stupidly parked cars.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have made a similar mistake, ie come across a big line of parked cars and convinced myself that they must have local knowledge that parking is all right. The difference is that when I got a parking ticket, I felt stupid, and didn't rush to call a press photographer.
    They should be on this website:
    http://apiln.blogspot.co.uk/

Angry people in local papers.

Lol. I am impressed the the Liverpool school where children who have paid for their lunch get a BAGUETTE, but children who have forgotten their dinner money only get a SANDWICH. Practically cause for an armed uprising imo.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its all kicking off in Wales this week innit.

they were parked on double yellows...parking on a pavement does not circumvent the order 'no parking at any time' that always accompanies double yellows.

i thought it was universally understood that you never park on double yellows.
    Forum Member
    d0lphin wrote: »
    Serves them right. It's blatantly obvious that they shouldn't be parked there. Maybe to counter-act those sad faces they should show someone in a wheelchair and a blind person struggling to get past their stupidly parked cars.

People like this do not give a !!!!!!!. They look ok to walk and put children I pushchair to save the lilltle legs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    I hate the wingey whiney 'it wasn't my fault stories! it's always the case that they know they're doing something wrong, yet refuse to accept responsibility when they get punished for it.

This will definitely be an unpopular opinion, but i also find it hard to sympathise with people who get parking tickets. it's clear you can't park there / have overstayed your ticket, so why hate the traffic warden who is doing their job by giving you a ticket?
  • AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    Its all kicking off in Wales this week innit.

they were parked on double yellows...parking on a pavement does not circumvent the order 'no parking at any time' that always accompanies double yellows.

i thought it was universally understood that you never park on double yellows.

Yeah, but she couldn't possibly be expected to park a bit further away and walk, and other people were parked there too, so it's clearly unfair.
    Forum Member
    Aftershow wrote: »
    Yeah, but she couldn't possibly be expected to park a bit further away and walk, and other people were parked there too, so it's clearly unfair.

But, but, but she had children. She's probably one of those who drives her kids 1000 yards to school and double parks, because having them walk to school these days is a no no. :D
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember one primary-school kid's bringing a newspaper page to school. His parents went to the Daily Express after a local ice-cream van refused to reduce the cost of an ice cream when he ran out of 99 chocolate flakes.

The kid looked pleased when he showed off the newspaper page, which featured a photograph of him looking sad in front of his frowning parents - long-haired, moustached dad (long shirt collar and jumper), and his panda-eyed mother in a floor-length flowery dress. That's the 1970s for you. :D