One container found, how many more not found?

R82n8R82n8 Posts: 3,656
Forum Member
✭✭✭
A dead man is among more than 30 suspected illegal immigrants found in a container at Tilbury Docks.
At least 13 of those discovered, including four children, have been taken to Basildon Hospital with "significant health problems".
Seven ambulances attended the scene, along with members of the hazardous response team and doctors.

I'm sorry for this death, but, how many are actually coming into England?
Illegal immigrants seem to be flowing into our country for fun.
Thirty two found on just the one container.

How many are getting through without detection?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-28817688
http://news.sky.com/story/1319678/one-dead-as-sick-migrants-found-in-container

Comments

• bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whatever some of us say now, we will be berated as inhuman, not caring etc.
    I do care, I care for the 20 year olds with no job or only know the world of zero hours contracts.

These people have come for a better life, but I think we need to make sure people born and bred in this country also get better lives.
  • PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    R82n8 wrote: »

Easiest way to stop this is extreme punishment to anyone employing illegals or housing them. Then you can have open borders as they are effectively tourists.
  • BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PrestonAl wrote: »
    Easiest way to stop this is extreme punishment to anyone employing illegals or housing them. Then you can have open borders as they are effectively tourists.

Yes the black market needs to be eliminated, other countries seem to have had more success in doing that hence the drive to get to the UK, but I'm not sure how they achieved it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PrestonAl wrote: »

However human rights (with the children involved) have a fit if we lock them in a detention centre. So we allow them homes in the community, and legal teams.
  • David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Fun ? The poor people are quite literally putting their lives on the line - where's the fun in that?
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blame the employers that employ illegals, not the poor soles putting their lives on the line working for less than minimum wage. Without the prospect of work, they wouldn't try to come here.
  • solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The OP is asking the important question that some of the media is failing to ask (the BBC was interested in whether or not those found were receiving immediate NHS treatment.)
    Was this container reported because of the death and only because of the death?
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What will happen to them now? will they be allowed to stay? or sent back where they came from? I doubt the latter.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    solenoid wrote: »
    The OP is asking the important question that some of the media is failing to ask (the BBC was interested in whether or not those found were receiving immediate NHS treatment.)
    Was this container reported because of the death and only because of the death?

i thought he was asking how many containers slip through.
  • CharlotteswebCharlottesweb Posts: 18,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes the black market needs to be eliminated, other countries seem to have had more success in doing that hence the drive to get to the UK, but I'm not sure how they achieved it.

They do it by doing what Preston says.

Very large fines and prison sentences for employing them. Prison sentences for CEOs or Company Secretaries would make plenty of boards think twice, and this is often overlooked as it is always assumed it is small backstreet businesses employing them, this is not necessarily the case.

I've mentioned before about being approached by cleaning 'companies' that want paying by cheque after every visit and so on, these are illegal workers more often than not, and many large companies employ them no questions asked.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i thought he was asking how many containers slip through.

Mine were just subsequent questions. If more containers have been slipping through then we need to know why. A thorough inquiry is required into the goings on at Tilbury docks.
  • OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

ERM........ 2?..........4?.........31?........10,000?

Point is, they are getting in illegally, so we can't know how many, and unless we employ an army of people at every port into this island to open and search every single container, and vehicle coming into this country I don't really know what we can do to stop them,

fact is people are desperate beyond anything most of us born and bred here could even begin to understand, and as such they will just about try anything no matter what the risk if they think there is a chance of a better life for themselves and their families at the end of it, to many of them this countries streets really are paved with gold,

I know this, if my children were going hungry and without clothes, education or decent medical care, and are living in an oppressive society, I wouldn't care how difficult or dangerous it was, I would do anything within my power to get them to a better place,

I am not saying we should just let them in, but I certainly don't blame the individual for trying,

There needs to be a serious and untied effort by all the 'advanced' western countries to find a solution to this problem because it's certainly not going to go away, and is only going to get worse over the next century as resources continue to diminish and populations continue to increase at an unsustainable level,
  • EnnerjeeEnnerjee Posts: 5,131
    Forum Member
    I believe the UK needs to emulate Australia, New Zealand and Canada if it wants to achieve a similar quality of life and standard of living that those countries have.

Firm messages need to be sent out.
  • HowardessexHowardessex Posts: 2,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tip of the ice berg springs to mind . How many thousands are getting in . Italy had around 8000 illegals from african coast on boats Come in last year , this year it's over 73000 already . And where are they all going ? . Then you have Spain , Greece , Bulgaria , Romania etc all are porous borders .it really is becoming a huge problem and we , the UK , will be hit the most .
  • JerrybobJerrybob Posts: 1,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This will probably be how Ebola reaches our shores. Why could they not claim asylum in Belgium? When they are declared fit they should be returned. They are not our problem.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jerrybob wrote: »
    This will probably be how Ebola reaches our shores. Why could they not claim asylum in Belgium? When they are declared fit they should be returned. They are not our problem.

When you've got the Mayor of Calais wanting the border moving to England and asylum seekers sent here to be processed. Why is it our problem? it is France's problem for letting them in, send them back where they came from.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jerrybob wrote: »

The reports are that they are from the "Indian sub continent". If that's the case then they aren't entitled to asylum. They are just illegal economic immigrants. Asylum has a specific meaning but too many people call all illegal immigrants "asylum seekers".

Returned to where? If they have any sense then they will have no documentation on them so any other country could just claim that they weren't their problem either.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    The reports are that they are from the "Indian sub continent". If that's the case then they aren't entitled to asylum. They are just illegal economic immigrants. Asylum has a specific meaning but too many people call all illegal immigrants "asylum seekers".
    There are thousands of asylum seekers in the Indian sub continent. There are however far more refugees and even more people fleeing severe poverty.
    http://www.unhcr.org/pages/49e4876d6.html
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    should have been thrown back in the container
  • Artie FischalArtie Fischal Posts: 1,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have we a moral obligation to look after these people? I fear the answer maybe "yes." Hospital A&E's in the Tilbury area are already under the cosh, like all of them. Basildon, Queens Romford, where some will be sent, need this sudden influx like another hole in the arse.
    These poor people, once we have patched them up, must be sent back to anywhere on the sub-Continent, even if they have no paperwork, with the message: "There's nothing to gain by going to Great Britain. They have no money to look after their own people, let alone us!"
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,566
    Forum Member
    jenzie wrote: »
    should have been thrown back in the container

What a horrible thing to say.
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,566
    Forum Member
    David Tee wrote: »
    Fun ? The poor people are quite literally putting their lives on the line - where's the fun in that?

Yes, just what I was going to say.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently there was a story from July this year, which the BBC didn't flag very well then, but is germaine to recent news:
    More than 900 lorry drivers were fined in the last financial year for entering the UK via the Port of Dover with stowaways on board.

Fines issued in the year 2012-13 stood at 915, compared with 1,580 in 2008-09.

Figures, sourced by BBC Radio Kent, show that while at a three-year high levels were still lower than in 2009.

A spokesman for the Border Force said the level of fines correlated with the amount of clandestine migrants found on lorries.

He added the amount each haulier was fined depended on several conditions, including the number of migrants found on each vehicle and how much care drivers had taken to prevent stowaways.
    Spokesman Donald Armour said he had heard reports of drivers being attacked by gangs.

"These people are really, really desperate to get across the Channel to the UK, and they're not necessarily going to let one lorry driver get in the way," he said.
    You do the maths.

What happens to the immigrants after being caught? How frequently are lorries and containers checked? Is 1000 per year a sample of a bigger problem?
  • DrillerKillerDrillerKiller Posts: 475
    Forum Member

I wouldn't
    call dying and hospitalised children exactly doing it for "fun" as you put it.
  • HowardessexHowardessex Posts: 2,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    solenoid wrote: »
    Apparently there was a story from July this year, which the BBC didn't flag very well then, but is germaine to recent news:

You do the maths.

What happens to the immigrants after being caught? How frequently are lorries and containers checked? Is 1000 per year a sample of a bigger problem?

If the immigrants are found at the UK border in France , they are handed over to the French police who just let them go back to the other gangs etc camping out by the port . I think the reason why the numbers of lorries being fined has actually gone down is due to EU pressure to go soft on the lorry drivers and hauliers . The fines originally were huge , £20 k plus , but now they are often less than £2000 .