Options

My Dad Has Been Going Thru My Stuff

124»

Comments

• Options
    UffaUffa Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My point of view (for what it is worth) is that if you have not used/ needed the stuff over the past 2 years then surely it is either time to take it to your place, if it is important, if not then take it to a charity shop or bin it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Uffa wrote: »
    My point of view (for what it is worth) is that if you have not used/ needed the stuff over the past 2 years then surely it is either time to take it to your place, if it is important, if not then take it to a charity shop or bin it.

I really think this opinion misses the point though. The principle of it is that he has no right, in my point of view (for what it is worth!), to go through (commonly spelled thru in US but not the UK, oh no no no) my stuff, regardless of if i need it, if i have used it in 2 years or not or whatever. It's my stuff no one elses
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    cobwebsoup wrote: »
    The OP hasn't been picking arguments with people. Some of the replies from people on here have been quite rude and unnecessary.
    And he's been equally rude back (these forums are pathetic, only posts worth reading, ffs, have another go etc), from the start.

As has already been pointed out, he's only happy with the few people who have agreed with his view of things, and has ignored the most sensible advice, which is to take his own belongings home and give up the room. Result is, no-one can then go through his 'stuff', which is what seems to be annoying him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And he's been equally rude back, if not more, from the start.

Yes, i see now the error of my ways. Clearly i was supposed to accept people being rude and attacking me and not stick up for myself.
  • Options
    GeordielaadGeordielaad Posts: 141
    Forum Member
    OP: what exactly has your dad stolen from your belongings? And who has told you he's definitely going through your things?
  • Options
    **JennaJ****JennaJ** Posts: 5,041
    Forum Member
    pjw1985 wrote: »
    I really think this opinion misses the point though. The principle of it is that he has no right, in my point of view (for what it is worth!), to go through (commonly spelled thru in US but not the UK, oh no no no) my stuff, regardless of if i need it, if i have used it in 2 years or not or whatever. It's my stuff no one elses

No you are missing the point!

He has every right.

It's his home. You don't live there you've moved out.

Your crap is in his home.

Don't like him going through your suff/moving things/taking things?

Take your stuff & put it in your home.

Dilemma sorted.

If not bring it up with your father.

That's all the advice you need.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes, i see now the error of my ways. Clearly i was supposed to accept people being rude and attacking me and not stick up for myself.
    If you only want to hear things that you agree with, then don't ask for advice, because that can go either way - make an appreciation thread instead.

You have made a fair amount of rude comments yourself, from the off.
  • Options
    UffaUffa Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But is isn't your "home" any more. You moved out of your parents house and have your own home. I would say your parents are entitled to do what they see fit in the house they live in.
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member

If you don't like what your dad does to your stuff, then remove it from his house into your own place with you, if your dad moved would you expect him to take it with him or would you move it to your address. The simple solution is to move the stuff, his house his rules don't like the set up then move your stuff
  • Options
    Penfolds_placePenfolds_place Posts: 865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    **JennaJ** wrote: »
    No you are missing the point!

He has every right.

It's his home. You don't live there you've moved out.

Your crap is in his home.

Don't like him going through your suff/moving things/taking things?

Take your stuff & put it in your home.

Dilemma sorted.

If not bring it up with your father.

That's all the advice you need.

If he agreed that the stuff could be left there he has no right.

If I let my friend put some stuff in my spare room with my agreement would I have the right to go through it because it was my house?

I agree the solution is to move the stuff, but it should have been made clear by the parent if they were unhappy having the stuff there.
  • Options
    bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    And he's been equally rude back (these forums are pathetic, only posts worth reading, ffs, have another go etc), from the start.

As has already been pointed out, he's only happy with the few people who have agreed with his view of things, and has ignored the most sensible advice, which is to take his own belongings home and give up the room. Result is, no-one can then go through his 'stuff', which is what seems to be annoying him.

The OP ‘jpw1985’ is just trolling; for reasons known only to himself. :confused:

I don’t mind the occasional ‘spoof’ thread; they can be very amusing and can certainly ‘lighten the load’; which is no bad thing. No humour here though.

The OP is just taking the ‘rise’ out of everyone who is good-natured enough to offer well-meaning advice.

It’s just another self indulgent fabrication.
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Move your stuff out if you don't like what he's doing and can't bring yourself to mention this fact to him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    bri160356 wrote: »
    The OP ‘jpw1985’ is just trolling; for reasons known only to himself. :confused:

I don’t mind the occasional ‘spoof’ thread; they can be very amusing and can certainly ‘lighten the load’; which is no bad thing. No humour here though.

The OP is just taking the ‘rise’ out of everyone who is good-natured enough to offer well-meaning advice.

It’s just another self indulgent fabrication.
    Sadly, you're right and it's not the first time this sort of thing has happened in Advice (and then threads appear asking why people on here are so cynical!)

I'm outta here.
  • Options
    **JennaJ****JennaJ** Posts: 5,041
    Forum Member
    If he agreed that the stuff could be left there he has no right.

If I let my friend put some stuff in my spare room with my agreement would I have the right to go through it because it was my house?

I agree the solution is to move the stuff, but it should have been made clear by the parent if they were unhappy having the stuff there.

His father has every right.

And yes you would.

The only legal right that the OP has is to obtain his belongings back and take them to his own home
  • Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think that gives him a right to go thru my stuff.

That's as may be but it is what it is.

Move your stuff out and find somewhere else to store it.

You don't need your own bedroom there with all your history in it if you're only there once or twice a week.
  • Options
    Penfolds_placePenfolds_place Posts: 865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    **JennaJ** wrote: »
    His father has every right.

And yes you would.

The only legal right that the OP has is to obtain his belongings back and take them to his own home

I agree with the last sentence, however if an agreement was made I can understand someone feeling angry.

I might have the legal right to go through the stuff, but morally? Hypothetically if the agreement was to keep it for a week and the stuff was there after I would do what I wanted, but if I didn't want the stuff there in the first place then I would make that clear at the beginning.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly, you're right and it's not the first time this sort of thing has happened in Advice (and then threads appear asking why people on here are so cynical!)

I'm outta here.

Sadly you're both WRONG
This discussion has been closed.