Options

Doc Martin (Part 14 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate to be a downer concerning MC, but in William & Mary S3, E5 where he sings a bit of the Pearl Fishers Duet with Billy Two-Heads (which is from Bizet's opera The Pearl Fishers,) towards the end of the piece when the singing becomes more intense, a third person comes in to sing along with MC to give it the strength it needs. I know MC is a decent singer but opera is not in his repertoire. It sounds like someone who can sing in his key but is operatic trained.

As to ITV never taking an active role in promoting the DM series as it should, my belief is that the future filming of this great series is if MC, PB and BP et al. want to continue and of course, the meeting of the minds as to up-front costs to film another series. I hope ITV realizes now with DM and Downton Abbey series coming from them, they are now on the world stage. With regard to DA, there is American funding involved, so that's different.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    The Admirer
    All analyzing of characters and relationships aside for a moment, for me this episode has some of the funniest lines and situations in it...

The indignation of DM when he shouts after Aunt Joan - Osteoporosis and sexual intercourse on kitchen tables don't mix - priceless

And as someone mentioned previously - his flashback to the episode and the goofy smile on Aunt Joan's face - I can't imagine there was not a lot of full on LOL going on on the set when filming.

And although I also thought the running over the dog was a bit over the top, especially for MC, the carrying the newspaper wrapped dog all through the various events of that day - even asking Aunt Joan to hold it while he examined Edward - and then his comments to Carrie Wilson that got him smacked - so in character. I love what MC does with this character but these writers are special!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    This, to me, is real acting. The Hollywood types that need to focus so much to get into character that no one on set is allowed to look them in the eye seem pooncy to me.

MC is a true ACTOR; he has learned his craft over some 35 years; hence the tiniest facial movement can speak volumes. I can hardly bear to watch when he drops his eyelids...he did it in William & Mary at the teenagers' funeral and again as DM when Louise left his house, after they had tried co-habiting.

My great-nephew is a student at MC's alma mater - Arts Ed at Turnham Green, Chiswick, West London.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm in Portland and looking forward to watching DM tonight on OPB at 9 pm. Obviously I have the full complement of DM DVDs, but there is always something better to me when I know I am watching a show I enjoy as it's being broadcast and watched by others at the same time. Anyone else feel the same way? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm in Portland and looking forward to watching DM tonight on OPB at 9 pm. Obviously I have the full complement of DM DVDs, but there is always something better to me when I know I am watching a show I enjoy as it's being broadcast and watched by others at the same time. Anyone else feel the same way? :confused:

Yes, I always try to catch them on TV also. It is somehow different.

Sometimes when I am watching the DVDs I am looking for something - searching for the things mentioned on this forum or things I noted at another watching -

I know from the comments here, I can't be the only "nutter" who takes notes as they watch.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    Just a little oddity -- when Louisa goes in to see Martin and invite him to go the Joe's party, she is wearing a blue dress with red sweater, and her hair is down. They're interrupted by the phone call from Pauline, b/c Al has collapsed. He runs out, and then, maybe 15 minutes later (?) Martin tells Pauline to hurry up on the blood draw because he has someplace to go. He hurries home, gets into the car, runs over Princess Trinkle, and we see him arriving at the hotel and Louisa dancing with an older man, clearly waiting for him to arrive.

But she is now wearing, maybe 30 minutes later, an entirely different dress, with her hair pulled back. The dress isn't particularly dressier as for a party. Why, I wonder -- and is it even possible? Although we know that she still has her car at this point b/c she has to run out to move it.

Maybe a little more time supposedly elapsed? Enough time, anyway, for her to go home, change clothes, and put her hair up. But I agree with you. The dress she changes into isn't exactly dressier than the one she wore at the surgery.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dmbesotted wrote: »
    The Admirer
    All analyzing of characters and relationships aside for a moment, for me this episode has some of the funniest lines and situations in it...

The indignation of DM when he shouts after Aunt Joan - Osteoporosis and sexual intercourse on kitchen tables don't mix - priceless

And as someone mentioned previously - his flashback to the episode and the goofy smile on Aunt Joan's face - I can't imagine there was not a lot of full on LOL going on on the set when filming.

And although I also thought the running over the dog was a bit over the top, especially for MC, the carrying the newspaper wrapped dog all through the various events of that day - even asking Aunt Joan to hold it while he examined Edward - and then his comments to Carrie Wilson that got him smacked - so in character. I love what MC does with this character but these writers are special!!

But isn't this just an extension of "I hate dogs" persona of DM? Yelling at a dog is over the top for MC but not for DM. I think that's part of MC's enjoyment of playing DM - he can be as grumpy and heartless as he likes. :rolleyes:

These things happen, so they shouldn't be taboo even if MC had lost his dog the same way before this episode. If life was just all blue sky it would be very boring and emotionless.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Hi Statesidefan - I rechecked my local TV schedule and DM is now back on here in the Cleveland Ohio area on Thursday - but actually we are getting 2 episodes - 8p is "Out of the Woods " and 9p is "Erotomania". Out of the Woods was on on Sunday at 6p also. Then after, I can put my DVS's in and fall asleep with Martin.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Can I ask a stupid question - what time zone is posting the time on the messages???? I am not posting at 00:54
  • Options
    SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hi fellow Portlander,
    I'll be right there with you at 9pm tonight.

Don't have the DVD's as yet but have gone back to DM on hulu.com more times than I can think, whether to watch or research.

It does feel different seeing it on the TV screen from watching it on the computer for me. Sometimes I actually like one better than the other.

And I just like knowing there are others like you all out there that enjoy the program and love to talk about it as well. I get a chance to do that with friends and some customers at my shoppe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can I ask a stupid question - what time zone is posting the time on the messages???? I am not posting at 00:54

Greenwich Mean Time I believe, meaning Greenwich, England near London, which is 8 hours different than me in Portland, OR.

I set up an extra clock for London time on my computer (where the time shows on the lower bar of my computer) because of our friends there. I love looking to see what time it is where friends that live elsewhere.
  • Options
    dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think the default time zone is BMT - British Mean Time - since this forum is based in the UK. You may be able to change that in the preferences section of your account.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I changed mine to local time
    > User CP at the top of the forum page
    > user options
    and choose what time you want.

Under FAQ:
    Digital Spy is set to GMT from the last Sunday in October through the last Sunday in March, and BST for the remaining period. This global setting is shown on our news site and to unregistered members of our forums. Registered users must specify their own timezone and daylight saving options in the User CP. Click User CP, then Edit Options to review these settings. If auto-detection of DST does not work on your computer, please manually select a DST option.
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    Maybe a little more time supposedly elapsed? Enough time, anyway, for her to go home, change clothes, and put her hair up. But I agree with you. The dress she changes into isn't exactly dressier than the one she wore at the surgery.

well, admittedly a minor point, but it still seem odd to me. the whole scene from the time he got the phone call from Pauline to the time he left the Large living quarters couldn't have been more than 15 or 20 minutes. So, he takes the blood sample back to the surgery, readies it for mailing to the lab, and then, still wearing the same clothes, he goes to his car. Louisa also drives to the Wilson hotel, the same distance, taking approximately the same time -- yet she is there well before him, in entirely different clothes and hairdo. If she raced home when leaving his office, changed clothes and drove rapidly to the party, it might just be possible, but my question is, why? As I said, just an oddity. But generally these things are thought out, and this one I can't see any reason for.

But I'll stop beating this dead horse now (MC wouldl be grateful, I'm sure).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    well, admittedly a minor point, but it still seem odd to me. the whole scene from the time he got the phone call from Pauline to the time he left the Large living quarters couldn't have been more than 15 or 20 minutes. So, he takes the blood sample back to the surgery, readies it for mailing to the lab, and then, still wearing the same clothes, he goes to his car. Louisa also drives to the Wilson hotel, the same distance, taking approximately the same time -- yet she is there well before him, in entirely different clothes and hairdo. If she raced home when leaving his office, changed clothes and drove rapidly to the party, it might just be possible, but my question is, why? As I said, just an oddity. But generally these things are thought out, and this one I can't see any reason for.

But I'll stop beating this dead horse now (MC wouldl be grateful, I'm sure).

By the time DM actually sees LG (he had to deal with Edward etc) a fair bit of time has gone by so maybe she did have time to change and get there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By the time DM actually sees LG (he had to deal with Edward etc) a fair bit of time has gone by so maybe she did have time to change and get there.

I just checked the episode and Louisa is at the party already saying hi to Joe when the Doc arrives with dog in paper.

Having been in Port Isaac (the real place--not Port Wenn), the Doc's drive would have been no more than 5 min. to the hotel after his seeing Louisa, treating Al, and running over and wrapping up the dog. (He didn't even go back into the surgery, just put his case in the back seat of the car.)

But again having been there, Louisa could have stopped by her house, which is physically between the surgery and the hotel, did a quick change and freshen up, and still got to the hotel ahead of him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Silly post sorry. :eek:

But the clock at DM's surgery and at Al's place says 5:10. Assuming the party starts at 6? LG would have had time to go home and change. But DM still has to lose a lot of time. Maybe he was overcome by emotion after dealing with the dog and had to sit in the car for a minute or two. Or drive slowly to the party to compose himself!

You can see DM's watch when he's waking up Edward and the Ambulance Driver's watch but I can't read the time. Someone else might be able to.

However, I do think the dress LG changed into was dressier. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Silly post sorry. :eek:

But the clock at DM's surgery and at Al's place says 5:10. Assuming the party starts at 6? LG would have had time to go home and change. But DM still has to lose a lot of time. Maybe he was overcome by emotion after dealing with the dog and had to sit in the car for a minute or two. Or drive slowly to the party to compose himself!

You can see DM's watch when he's waking up Edward and the Ambulance Driver's watch but I can't read the time. Someone else might be able to.

However, I do think the dress LG changed into was dressier. :)

I noticed the clocks and watches also, but couldn't read them either. I did notice that there was even a jump in time when before packing up the dog, Doc put the first glove on and then suddenly had the second one on and was grabbing the newspaper from its place.

So I think we just have to assume that taking care of Al causes more time to elapse than is all shown. For instance, we don't hear the Doc's instructions for how or when Al is to get his medicine or follow-up visit day; or perhaps instructions to Pauline regarding the blood work; or even just packing up his doctor bag. Any or all of that would have to take more time, or else Doc just wouldn't be his normal great doctor self.

The writers, director, and actors are so good at giving us enough to create the picture, but often leave us some wonderful space to fill in for ourselves. That, I believe, is another really artful part of this production. And it is part of what hooks us. Our minds have something to work on.

Oh, and the dress. Not my idea of attractive, but orange is a hot color and can get someone's attention maybe.;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ooops.
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I noticed the clocks and watches also, but couldn't read them either. I did notice that there was even a jump in time when before packing up the dog, Doc put the first glove on and then suddenly had the second one on and was grabbing the newspaper from its place.

Oh, and the dress. Not my idea of attractive, but orange is a hot color and can get someone's attention maybe.;)

I think the "hot" color of the dress is the production reason why she changed -- she stands out a bit more in the crowd. Also, she is a crisper contrast to Mrs. Wilson. I still think it's barely feasible and doesn't make sense in real life (she clearly had vamped up to stop by the surgery) but I'm happy if there's a decent production reason!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    marchrand wrote: »
    I hate to be a downer concerning MC, but in William & Mary S3, E5 where he sings a bit of the Pearl Fishers Duet with Billy Two-Heads (which is from Bizet's opera The Pearl Fishers,) towards the end of the piece when the singing becomes more intense, a third person comes in to sing along with MC to give it the strength it needs. I know MC is a decent singer but opera is not in his repertoire. It sounds like someone who can sing in his key but is operatic trained.

I love this scene - on of my favourites ever.

But I think MC and Billy Two-Hats are singing along to a tape/CD too; have to be - MC's vocal range is not that broad.

Listen to him singing ' When did you come down from heaven ? ' earlier in the series - that's pure MC; at least, the beginning is - think someone else cuts in from ' I'm only human '.

Also, listen to his rendition of ' I want you back ' from Reggie Perrin - that's pure MC.

' Pure MC '...magic time again ;)
  • Options
    Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marchrand wrote: »

I don't know about that marchrand. After reading this I went back and watched it twice more (tough job, but somebody has to do it!) and I couldn't hear that. I especially listened for another voice coming in when he sings the higher line and didn't hear a different voice at all. Unless a professional dubbed his whole part? Knowing MC as we do, I think he would fight that suggestion - he just usually likes to "go for it" even if he looks silly.

As I said, I used to do a lot of singing (even got paid for it occasionally :D) and was involved in a lot of classical and operatic concerts, so I have heard a lot of good singing. I thought that it really was his voice - it was only a short snippet of music and they would have had the opportunity to do as many takes as needed, so I really bought it :D Maybe I just wanted him to be that good ;)
  • Options
    Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think I'll go back and watch it a few more times. As I said, tough job, but.........:D:D:D
  • Options
    marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blue-Eyes wrote: »

But I think MC and Billy Two-Hats are singing along to a tape/CD too; have to be - MC's vocal range is not that broad.

Listen to him singing ' When did you come down from heaven ? ' earlier in the series - that's pure MC; at least, the beginning is - think someone else cuts in from ' I'm only human '.

Also, listen to his rendition of ' I want you back ' from Reggie Perrin - that's pure MC.

I agree with you.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    Blue-Eyes wrote: »

There is an old adage that goes "It is not the pen, it is how you sign your name.";)

Billy Holliday had barely a one octave range and she is considered one of the greatest jazz singers of all time. I still prefer her rendition of "Georgia On My Mind" over Ray Charles.

I found this article, it is from 2011. Had not seen it before so figured I would post it in case other folks hadn't-Cornwall calling for Martin Clunes as Doc Martin returns it is a cached copy-if you try the regular link you get an internal server error.
This discussion has been closed.