Options

Have you planned your Xmas menu?

124»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like to be proper traditional at Xmas so it'll be a pint of sherry, nut roast, sprouts and roasties, and chocolate cake with ice cream.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just finalised mine. I will be cooking for 8 this year. The puddings are bought, but the rest is made from scratch. What are you guys having? This is my menu...

Entree

Pan seared scallops with prime black pudding, a sweetcorn and shallot purée, lemon butter, Serrano ham and a poached quails egg.

Starter

Braised quail in a white truffle and porcini mushroom sauce, with morel mushrooms and black truffle shavings

Main

A slow roast herb, mint and garlic infused leg of lamb, roast and stuffed turkey breast wrapped in streaky bacon, goose fat roast potatoes, honey glazed parsnips, pork, sage and onion stuffing balls, pigs in blankets with a selection of vegetables.

Desert

Connoisseur Christmas pudding with brandy butter and cream
    Rich fruit marzipan stollen cake
    A selection of cheese and crackers

Even if I do say so myself, the meal was absolutely fantastic. Clean plates all round. My braised quail was the stand out dish, which I am very pleased about as I have very little experience cooking this bird.
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,169
    Forum Member
    Did anyone take any pictures of their meal? I meant to but totally forgot.
  • Options
    DrFlowDemandDrFlowDemand Posts: 2,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mum forgot to serve half of hers today, and I was shoved out the door really quickly so didn't get a chance to get my tupperware boxes filled with the niceness - duck, lobster, nut roast, mac n cheese (family tradition :D). I'll just have to go back to pick some up... What ruse, what ruse - ah, a forgotten gift to deliver would do.

Still would have liked Pumping Iron's menu, hope I get an invite next year.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blimey! Some of these menus sound delicious, but there is no way we could manage 3, let alone 4 courses on Christmas Day! That would just be far too much food for us. I remember we did have 4 courses at my in-laws house one year and both me and the mrs felt very bloated and sick and I didn't eat for most of the next day. I enjoy the day far more when I feel comfortably full rather than gorging myself to bursting point and this years meal was delicious and very well received.
  • Options
    DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even if I do say so myself, the meal was absolutely fantastic. Clean plates all round. My braised quail was the stand out dish, which I am very pleased about as I have very little experience cooking this bird.

Glad it all went well! Your family are very lucky to have such a nice meal cooked for them.