Glasgow 2014

Comments

• Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you looked at airbnb.com?

The prices are still higher than normal but through this site I got a great apartment just outside Glasgow for £75 a night for 3 nights during the games. And only a month ago as they keep putting new ones on all the time.

Thanks for that tip. Wasn't aware of that website - haven't booked anything yet but there were a few places that looked OK & were good value in amongst the more expensive places.
  • ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can I ask why people are booking accommodation in Edinburgh? It is far more expensive than Glasgow, as is the travel

I could find anything at all in Glasgow that wasn't absolutely extortionate, even when I looked months ago. The flight costs to Edinburgh from London (where I live) aren't more than Glasgow. My hotel is also just off Princes Street and right near the rail station so getting to Glasgow will hopefully be okay. At the same price (about £100 per night), I had no hope in Glasgow.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shappy wrote: »
    I could find anything at all in Glasgow that wasn't absolutely extortionate, even when I looked months ago. The flight costs to Edinburgh from London (where I live) aren't more than Glasgow. My hotel is also just off Princes Street and right near the rail station so getting to Glasgow will hopefully be okay. At the same price (about £100 per night), I had no hope in Glasgow.

I'm starting to get worried about the hotel situation. Prices in Glasgow have got to come down in price surely? I'd prefer to stop in Glasgow as I've never been before but there's no way I'm paying the current prices.

The prices in Edinburgh aren't too bad and I have been there several times before so I may just have get that booked rather than risk waiting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    I'm starting to get worried about the hotel situation. Prices in Glasgow have got to come down in price surely? I'd prefer to stop in Glasgow as I've never been before but there's no way I'm paying the current prices.

The prices in Edinburgh aren't too bad and I have been there several times before so I may just have get that booked rather than risk waiting.

I don't think it'll be like London 2012 where there were thousands of hotels and people renting their places out so in the end supply far outstripped demand. Glasgow is so much smaller. I can cancel my booking up to 14 days in advance at no cost so maybe you could book something like that as a backup in Edinburgh and keep looking in Glasgow?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shappy wrote: »
    I don't think it'll be like London 2012 where there were thousands of hotels and people renting their places out so in the end supply far outstripped demand. Glasgow is so much smaller. I can cancel my booking up to 14 days in advance at no cost so maybe you could book something like that as a backup in Edinburgh and keep looking in Glasgow?

Yes, that's a good idea. I have found somewhere in Edinburgh for £90 a night which can be cancelled so that's not too bad. The times of the flights to and from Edinburgh work out better too.
  • The NetThe Net Posts: 5,484
    Forum Member

That airbnb site is excellent. Have used it many times and it is fast growing.

Got a flat in Edinburgh through them just off the a royal Mile- great value and friendly service.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm all sorted now. 3 nights in one of the Edinburgh Travelodges (fairly basic but it will be only for sleeping) and flights from Stansted. Phew. I can relax now.
  • Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Got my tickets today :)

Anyone know where there are detailed seating plans/configuration of venues? I was able to find a plan for Ibrox OK but the one I found for Hampden doesn't include the configuration so not sure which are the home/back straights or where the Long Jump; High Jump is etc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    There's a seating plan on the ticketmaster site which shows the layout (search for the diamond league event).
  • The NetThe Net Posts: 5,484
    Forum Member
    Picked up my tickets for Saturday too. Pleased to see I've got Row A of my swimming session. Hoping Row A is a the front! :)
  • wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I now have my tickets as well! :D
  • big macbig mac Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, that's a good idea. I have found somewhere in Edinburgh for £90 a night which can be cancelled so that's not too bad. The times of the flights to and from Edinburgh work out better too.

I have managed to get somewhere in Edinburgh too for around about the same price. I get the impression a lot of people might have the same idea. Stay in Edinburgh and then just travel to Glasgow for whichever event they are attending.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got my tickets this morning. Quite a nice presentation pack too.

I still have a couple that I won't be able to use so I hope there will be a resale opportunity.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've got my flights and hotel booked in Edinburgh. Will be staying Sat 2nd Aug to Mon 4th Aug.

I hope to sell my Wed gymnastics and Thurs athletics tickets.
  • alexjonesalexjones Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    just 50 days to go now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alexjones wrote: »
    just 50 days to go now.

To be honest, apart from sorting out accommodation, I haven't really thought about it yet. Just the minor matter of the World Cup to deal with first. Just wish I was going to Brazil so I could cross off a World Cup and Commonwealth Games off my sporting event list.
  • Department_SDepartment_S Posts: 4,918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest, apart from sorting out accommodation, I haven't really thought about it yet. Just the minor matter of the World Cup to deal with first. Just wish I was going to Brazil so I could cross off a World Cup and Commonwealth Games off my sporting event list.

Try to do a World Cup. The atmosphere is unbelivable. This will be the first tournament I've missed since 1994 :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try to do a World Cup. The atmosphere is unbelivable. This will be the first tournament I've missed since 1994 :(

I really regret missing out on 2006 in Germany. I knew loads of people who went over even if they didn't have tickets and all had a great time. I can't even remember what my excuse was for not going.

In other news. the athletics track at Hampden has been finished:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-27700320

Not bad for a temporary track on stilts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And here's a timelapse of how the track was put in
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErHDa6yNW_I
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    queen's baton has now entered Scotland.
  • Edward_SloleyEdward_Sloley Posts: 10,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like the BBC are covering the entire QBR throughout Scotland.

Day 1 live coverage - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-scotland-27764757

Tickets can now be resold. Unfortunately, the resale window is not as generous as it was for London 2012 - tickets received after 26 June will not be accepted.

http://www.glasgow2014.com/tickets/ticket-resale
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tickets can now be resold. Unfortunately, the resale window is not as generous as it was for London 2012 - tickets received after 26 June will not be accepted.

http://www.glasgow2014.com/tickets/ticket-resale

The ticket resale system is fairly crappy too. With London you could register tickets for resale online and then only had to return them when they were sold.
  • CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    Report on Bbc Scotland urging people to make sure their hotel bookings are genuine as there has been fake agencies using proper websites like expedia
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I returned tickets for two badminton sessions last Monday and I have already had the cost (minus £2 admin fee) credited to my credit card so they system does work.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    30 days to go.