BSkyB and BT win live Premier League TV rights from 2013 to 2016 (Part 2)

SupportSupport Posts: 70,793
Administrator
Bhaveshgor wrote: »
or the premier league makes Sky show some big games at 12.45, the time where Asia market prefers, did say this couple of thread ago, I wouldn't be surprised if sky gets 7 1st pick Exclusive to them and then Sky and Bt rotate they 1st picks, this would mean Sky get the really big games at sunday 4.00, and they is also big games at saturday 12-45 for the asian market.
it is in the premier league interest to make the saturday 12-45 games attractive so the value for the overseas rights increase, i wouldn't be surprised if the overseas broadcaster are demanding better games at the time they want it.
this theory will be perfect for the premier league, Sky get the real big games Guaranteed and the BT and asian markets get the big games they want on the 12-45 slot.

it is in the premier League interest to make Bt have good ties, so next time around they bid for more pack and increase the prices value again and at the same time, premier league rights in Asia is expected to increase by big margin.

i expect Sky to have 70% of the big games, and BT to have the rest.
    Admin Notice: This thread is a continuation of: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1649839

Comments

• promo-onlypromo-only Posts: 3,315
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Wow, we've chatted that much, it's spilled over in part 2 :eek:
    • mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,436
      Forum Member
      Just to post this again seeing as the awkward forum mods decided to make a new thread at the most inconvenient time (never understood the point in splitting threads, but there you go...)

This is if anybody needs a refresh given the conversation we've been having today (I suppose it seems even more fitting to post it at the beginning of 'Part 2' now):

Package A (BT): 26 at Sat 12.45pm
      - 13 1st picks
      - 13 4th picks

Package B (BSkyB): 16-18 at Sat 5.30pm; 6-7 at Sun 12pm or 1.30pm/2.05pm; 2-3 Bank hols
      - 22 3rd picks
      - 4 5th picks

Package C (BSkyB): 26 at Sun 1.30pm/2.05pm
      - 13 2nd picks
      - 13 3rd picks

Package D (BSkyB): 26 at Sun 4pm/4.10pm
      - 20 1st picks
      - 6 4th picks

Package E (BSkyB): 18-22 at Mon 8pm; 4-8 at Sun 4pm/4.10pm or Sat 12.45pm
      - 12 2nd picks
      - 10 4th picks
      - 4 5th picks

Package F (BSkyB): 12 at Sat 5.30pm
      - 8 2nd picks
      - 4 4th picks

Package G (BT): 10 Midweek and Bank hols; 2 at Sat 12.45pm
      - 5 1st picks
      - 5 2nd picks
      - 2 5th picks

Club Quotas (in alphabetical package order):
      Maximum: 5, 5, 5, 5, 4, 2, 2 (Total = 28)
      Minimum: 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 0, 0 (Total = 5)

Pick totals:
      - 38 1st picks
      - 38 2nd picks
      - 35 3rd picks
      - 33 4th picks
      - 10 5th picks

(This is mlt11's post from back in June that I made a note of at the time)
    • RadioKnowerRadioKnower Posts: 2,272
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      mogzyboy wrote: »
      (never understood the point in splitting threads, but there you go...)
      I believe things start to slow up once a thread gets too big.
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Just to post this again seeing as the awkward forum mods decided to make a new thread at the most inconvenient time (never understood the point in splitting threads, but there you go...)

This is if anybody needs a refresh given the conversation we've been having today (I suppose it seems even more fitting to post it at the beginning of 'Part 2' now):

Package A: 26 at Sat 12.45pm
      - 13 1st picks
      - 13 4th picks

Package B: 16-18 at Sat 5.30pm; 6-7 at Sun 12pm or 1.30pm/2.05pm; 2-3 Bank hols
      - 22 3rd picks
      - 4 5th picks

Package C: 26 at Sun 1.30pm/2.05pm
      - 13 2nd picks
      - 13 3rd picks

Package D: 26 at Sun 4pm/4.10pm
      - 20 1st picks
      - 6 4th picks

Package E: 18-22 at Mon 8pm; 4-8 at Sun 4pm/4.10pm or Sat 12.45pm
      - 12 2nd picks
      - 10 4th picks
      - 4 5th picks

Package F: 12 at Sat 5.30pm
      - 8 2nd picks
      - 4 4th picks

Package G: 10 Midweek and Bank hols; 2 at Sat 12.45pm
      - 5 1st picks
      - 5 2nd picks
      - 2 5th picks

Club Quotas (in alphabetical package order):
      Maximum: 5, 5, 5, 5, 4, 2, 2 (Total = 28)
      Minimum: 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 0, 0 (Total = 5)

Pick totals:
      - 38 1st picks
      - 38 2nd picks
      - 35 3rd picks
      - 33 4th picks
      - 10 5th picks

(This is mlt11's post from back in June that I made a note of at the time)

Just in case there are any new people joining in who may be interested but not up to speed:

BT have A & G / Sky have B, C, D, E & F
      Forum Member
      I believe things start to slow up once a thread gets too big.
      Fair enough. But, if that's the case, they should be doing it in the early hours when things aren't busy, rather than in the middle of a topic that's being discussed.

Anyway, I'll stop now before they chuck me off! :D
      Forum Member
      promo-only wrote: »
      Just in case there are any new people joining in who may be interested but not up to speed:

BT have A & G / Sky have B, C, D, E & F
      Good point. :)

Edited now.
    • BhaveshgorBhaveshgor Posts: 9,312
      Forum Member
      Can someone tell me the pick Sky and Espn currently has, and the difference of the pack now being used and the one being used next year, i just don't believe sky would have control of when to use it's 20 first picks, if that is the case what is the point of BT having the other pack, BT wouldn't pay stupid amount for this, but they would if they know what kind of matches they getting and has some control of what they are picking.
      Forum Member
      Can someone tell me the pick Sky and Espn currently has, and the difference of the pack now being used and the one being used next year, i just don't believe sky would have control of when to use it's 20 first picks, if that is the case what is the point of BT having the other pack, BT wouldn't pay stupid amount for this, but they would if they know what kind of matches they getting and has some control of what they are picking.
      BT have seemingly overpaid. This seems to be part of a strategy to get people to go to BT for an 'all-in-one'-type package with phone and broadband. Their encroaching on Sky's TV 'territory' if you like, in the same way that Sky does with broadband and phone products.

Premier League football, unlike most other sports rights, is a huge draw, hence BT paying so much for what doesn't seem to be that much of a fantastic set of rights.

BT will have first picks, but, in short, they'll be the ones Sky let them have.

They will, obviously, be the top matches on that given weekend. :)
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭

I don't think it should be looked at that BT paid so much solely for packages A & G in the first instance - they inflated the price themselves (presumably) on all 7 packages in order to take the maximum 5 and leave Sky with the remaining 2 in true smash & grab style. As it turned out, when Sky were given the chance to respond in round 2, they came back with a stronger bid for 5 of the 7, leaving BT to foot a huge bill for the remaining 2. It's not like they've gone in specifically to win A & G and pay that much just for those.

The only thing Sky have lost is the midweek/BH games but that's really not that much of an issue because it's completely down to luck of the draw as to what will be on offer there. With D they have the all important 1st picks (also controlling) and with E they have the ability to retain important games in the early spot.
    • Igloo_ManIgloo_Man Posts: 2,865
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      At the end of the day there is no knowing FOR SURE what the set-up is for the first picks unless someone from Sky/BT/Premier League reveals it.

However unlike the current deal where differentiating between a second pick and a fourth pick on ESPN is not always clear cut, with the new deal it will be very easy to differentiate between a first pick and a fourth pick on BT. Therefore from the TV selections next season, we should be able to see which games are BT's first picks clearly, and so conclude from their strength how much priority (if any) they have over the first picks.
    • mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,092
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      The only thing Sky have lost is the midweek/BH games but that's really not that much of an issue because it's completely down to luck of the draw as to what will be on offer there. With D they have the all important 1st picks (also controlling) and with E they have the ability to retain important games in the early spot.

It's not luck of the draw re Boxing Day and New Year's Day - there are (almost) never any big 6 head to heads on those rounds.

I said almost in case anyone could find an example - I can't remember one!
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Igloo_Man wrote: »
      At the end of the day there is no knowing FOR SURE what the set-up is for the first picks unless someone from Sky/BT/Premier League reveals it.

However unlike the current deal where differentiating between a second pick and a fourth pick on ESPN is not always clear cut, with the new deal it will be very easy to differentiate between a first pick and a fourth pick on BT. Therefore from the TV selections next season, we should be able to see which games are BT's first picks clearly, and so conclude from their strength how much priority (if any) they have over the first picks.

There is a brilliant article here that details everything. Pay particular attention to Q7.
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      mlt11 wrote: »
      It's not luck of the draw re Boxing Day and New Year's Day - there are (almost) never any big 6 head to heads on those rounds.

Apologies, I meant purely midweek rounds. Boxing Day especially is when they hand pick to keep travel to a minimum. It's when we always end up playing somebody like Stoke, Wigan, Blackburn etc.
      Forum Member
      BT have seemingly overpaid. This seems to be part of a strategy to get people to go to BT for an 'all-in-one'-type package with phone and broadband. Their encroaching on Sky's TV 'territory' if you like, in the same way that Sky does with broadband and phone products.

Premier League football, unlike most other sports rights, is a huge draw, hence BT paying so much for what doesn't seem to be that much of a fantastic set of rights.

BT will have first picks, but, in short, they'll be the ones Sky let them have.

They will, obviously, be the top matches on that given weekend. :)
      that the bit I don't understand, if this is the case then sat 12-45 will have less big games next year then it did this year since Sky doesn't have any Sat 12-45 slots apart from 1-5 occasion it can use it.
      with sky having Sat 5-30 ( bad slot for Asia) and two sunday slots and Monday.
      the big games Sky used at 12-45 before will just move to 5-30, that why i Don't believe Sky has control to all 20 first picks, otherwise apart from the money premier league has gotten, it isn't really good for them, with less big Games in that slot, no Liverpool-Manchester utd or the big games Sky used in that slot because police restrictions or force to because of Europe, instead being replaced with the likes of man utd- Tottenham,

Sky will certainly use the Sat 5-30 slot for the big games if they have to play the game on the Saturday, this will have more viewers then the 12-45 slot.
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Apologies, I meant purely midweek rounds. Boxing Day especially is when they hand pick to keep travel to a minimum. It's when we always end up playing somebody like Stoke, Wigan, Blackburn etc.

Yes, agreed. My point was that the risk for Sky is limited here because there are only 3 rounds where big head to heads could land rather than the 5 at first sight.
      Forum Member
      Indeed... :D

Chelsea/Arsenal was in the Boxing Day round in the 2010/2011 season, although that's the only one I can remember.
      Forum Member
      There is a brilliant article here that details everything. Pay particular attention to Q7.

yeah read that Article, but i do agree with Igloo_Man that next year it will certainly reveal how the pick work, has the premier league ever confirmed them selves how the picks work, for some reason i don't believe sky has control to all 20 first picks, with Sky having all the 2nd weekend picks and 3rd picks, they would literally manipulate the picks to suit them, which would mean Sat 5-30 and sun 4-00 having the big games.
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      yeah read that Article, but i do agree with Igloo_Man that next year it will certainly reveal how the pick work, has the premier league ever confirmed them selves how the picks work, for some reason i don't believe sky has control to all 20 first picks, with Sky having all the 2nd weekend picks and 3rd picks, they would literally manipulate the picks to suit them, which would mean Sat 5-30 and sun 4-00 having the big games.

Well in fairness to Sky, they've paid enough money to be able to manipulate the fixtures to their advantage. It'd work the same if BT had won the packages Sky did.

As far as anybody confirming how the system works, I'm pretty sure all parties involved are bound by strict terms not to talk. The proof will be next year when the fixtures are released.
    • Gray77Gray77 Posts: 1,317
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      that the bit I don't understand, if this is the case then sat 12-45 will have less big games next year then it did this year since Sky doesn't have any Sat 12-45 slots apart from 1-5 occasion it can use it.
      with sky having Sat 5-30 ( bad slot for Asia) and two sunday slots and Monday.
      the big games Sky used at 12-45 before will just move to 5-30, that why i Don't believe Sky has control to all 20 first picks, otherwise apart from the money premier league has gotten, it isn't really good for them, with less big Games in that slot, no Liverpool-Manchester utd or the big games Sky used in that slot because police restrictions or force to because of Europe, instead being replaced with the likes of man utd- Tottenham,

Sky will certainly use the Sat 5-30 slot for the big games if they have to play the game on the Saturday, this will have more viewers then the 12-45 slot.

Sky can move a small number of big games to the 12.45 slot if they need to. If a big game needs to be played on a Saturday because the teams play CL on the following Tuesday they will be played in the 5.30 slot. If they are games like Liverpool v United which need to be early kick offs on police advice then Sky will use one of their 12.45 slots on them. There won't be more than 3 or 4 games per season that HAVE to be played at 12.45, but obviously because Sky don't have the 5.30 slot at present they play certain games at this time. You'll simply see games like last weekends United v Arsenal game played at 5.30 instead.
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      The way the picks work is that there is effectively "picking efficiency" - ie having several packs enables you to get better matches from each individual pack compared to if you had fewer packs.

That would apply whoever had each pack and also to a different degree if there was some other combination than a 5/2 split.

eg with 4/2/1 whoever had 4 would still be able to obtain efficiencies.
      Forum Member
      the other theory i had, which will certainly come true, is that games or clubs not normally shown will most likely be shown now,with both broadcaster trying to ruin each other picks.
      Sky will defiantly show more low key games and Bt will have to show some as well.
      this is a good thing and a bad thing depending on which team you support for,
      i wouldn't mind really sometime i get bored seeing the same team playing each week, sometime games which people assume are boring, are sometime crackers.
    • mart1711mart1711 Posts: 68
      Forum Member
      Well some great posts but there still seems to be a level of guess work involved so we will all have to see but it will be interesting and im sure someone will be quoting this thread and its contents next season!!!!! Still a grey area as to where and when BT can exercise their 2nd pick choice.. Sky traditionally have a few "Goliath sundays" etc or whatever they call them.. BT could seemingly quash this massive tv draw should they wish or maybe i am getting it wrong(!)
      I do however stand by my judgement that BT/their lawyers/people in the loop would have definitely have had a plan in place if they got the rights they have of even less. We are talking about hundreds of millions of pounds an every combination would have been explored for certain. Judging by a report on German football rights it would also seem that neither broadcaster have overpaid for rights. The rights in the domestic market are inherantly directly proportional to the overseas rights. These are high and ballooning upwards so unfortunately thats the way they will continue until if and when the bubble bursts.
    • Paul_DixonPaul_Dixon Posts: 123
      Forum Member

Not in reason years but for many seasons the Arsenal - Tottenham game was boxing day with the return on Easter Monday, they do like to keep travelling distances to a min over the holidays
    • habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      Paul_Dixon wrote: »
      Not in reason years but for many seasons the Arsenal - Tottenham game was boxing day with the return on Easter Monday, they do like to keep travelling distances to a min over the holidays
      ok

The good old days :D before football was mucked about with by all these companies.

3 o'clock on a Saturday was ok with supporters. Don't know why they cant broadcast the games at that time instead of all the weird times they are now & will be in the future, especially as I do stewarding & have to be at the ground 3 hours before kick off :(
    • Gray77Gray77 Posts: 1,317
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      habby wrote: »
      ok

The good old days :D before football was mucked about with by all these companies.

3 o'clock on a Saturday was ok with supporters. Don't know why they cant broadcast the games at that time instead of all the weird times they are now & will be in the future, especially as I do stewarding & have to be at the ground 3 hours before kick off :(

I'd love 9 Premier League games at 3pm on a Saturday with one big televised game at 4pm on a Sunday. When I was growing up we'd all look forward to the Sunday live games on ITV, they felt special and everyone watched them. And if my team wasn't on the box I'd have to actually go to the game and watch them, they were crazy times!!! It also meant that most people followed their local club as they had to go to the games to see their team, or indeed could only see the local teams that night on ITV's regionalised highlights show.

Now it's too much really, with far too many games on TV and the whole industry of football more obsessed with those watching the game on TV than those who actually go to the games. We'll never go back to how it was, and the amount of quality players in the game now means most wouldn't want to. But it's always nice to reminisce once in a while!