NASA May Test New Method to Defend Earth From Asteroids

Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Last year NASA announced that they're planning on capturing a small asteroid, tow it and put it in a stable orbit. Then have astronauts repeatedly visit it for scientific & exploration purposes. Personally I find this more exciting than revisiting the moon. Anyway....

If this goes as plan, they will demonstrate the first in-space test of something called "enhanced gravity tractor" (they couldn't come up with a better name?). What is it? If an asteroid is on a collision course with earth, a robotic probe will fly alongside it for months or years, gradually nudging it off course via a slight gravitational tug.

It all sounds very science fiction but so did going to the moon. :)

LINK

Comments

• Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They'd be better off with an orbital gluon cannon which could just disintegrate any unwanted extra-terrestrial intruders.
  • phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can we just not all jump up and down at the same time and move the planet an inch or so to one side?

Might help with the climate too...
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used Anusol and Germoloids. Got rid of mine no problem.
  • SkycladSkyclad Posts: 3,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I vote for an orbiting death star with a super cannon to destroy any asteroids.
  • plankwalkerplankwalker Posts: 6,702
    Forum Member
    No Problem. Gather enough of Humanity on the best side of the Planet to match the optimum time and trajectory .... then just ask them to blow .... simples.
  • archiverarchiver Posts: 13,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They'd be better off with an orbital gluon cannon which could just disintegrate any unwanted extra-terrestrial intruders.
    What would they glue it on to? The moon?