Options

Scissor Sisters - Only The Horses (New Single!)

LostIslands_LostIslands_ Posts: 630
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyiNc1JvjyQ&feature=player_embedded

Thoughts?

I didn't like it at first, I found it to be quite average and commercial. But after a few plays it gets quite addictive! The video is very pretty too.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the Scissor Sisters! :)
    I agree with you, it's not a typical Scissor Sisters sounding, individual sounding song but I definately like it and I think it will be a grower.
  • Options
    RaptureRiderRaptureRider Posts: 1,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's OK, nothing spectacular. I'm not really a big fan of Calvin Harris to be honest. I find a lot of his stuff sounds the same, even the tracks he produced for Kylie I could easily do without.
  • Options
    MrJamesMrJames Posts: 8,127
    Forum Member
    I like it. It's sort of 'Beautiful Dance' a la All The Lovers.
  • Options
    Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,172
    Forum Member
    It does sound like Kylie (Aphrodite era) mixed with rihanna ( we found love) .... Sadly it's pretty unmelodic and unrememerable ..... Likeable but not catchy ..... Why wasn't shady love relesed? It was different, catchy and edgy.... Everything Scissor Sisters needed to raise their game...and I have an inkling it could have been a top 5 hit.
  • Options
    LostIslands_LostIslands_ Posts: 630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do prefer Shady Love, just because it has that SS charm and quirkiness to it. But I can see why they chose to release this, it's very safe. I still like it, though I would have preferred another album like the fab Night Work (Assuming this album is going in more pop/dance direction) :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Shady Love' was such a crock of shit (save the verses) that whatever they came out with was going to be an improvement.

Wish they'd stuck with Stuart Price though. Calvin Harris is so crap and all his air-filled whooshes just evaporate into flabby pop nothingness when the 'drop' arrives, these minute-long crescendos that filled-out most of 'We Found Love' and 'Let's Go' just result in the same-old, same-old fluff. It's quite sad to see Jake Shears' stellar voice on top of such flimsy handbag house. The verses have a great lyrical melody and it's wasted with Harris' recycled beats.
  • Options
    TCD1975TCD1975 Posts: 3,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it sucks ... it sounds like a band chasing a commercial sound.
  • Options
    DubDubDubDub Posts: 2,611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah, not sure, sounds like it wants to be a dance track with horse lyrics? will give it a few more listens tho
  • Options
    Steve35Steve35 Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's ok. I like the bassline.
  • Options
    BagpipesBagpipes Posts: 5,443
    Forum Member
    No decent hook, sounds like bland, characterless continental European pop. Distinctly average. Not a good step for SS.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do prefer Shady Love, just because it has that SS charm and quirkiness to it. But I can see why they chose to release this, it's very safe. I still like it, though I would have preferred another album like the fab Night Work (Assuming this album is going in more pop/dance direction) :D

I totally agree with this. I love Shady Love! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like it...reminds me of Aphrodite...soft nice Dance stuff...i do prefer Shady Love as that was a bit more gritty :cool:...but Only The Horses sounds lovely stuff.
  • Options
    VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member
    As much as I liked Night Work - they'll NEVER top their debut. Ta-Dah has a few moments but it's too gay musical for my tastes.
  • Options
    rombodrombod Posts: 5,252
    Forum Member
    The over-syllabicating (ooo0o0o0o0o, aaAAAaaaAa etc) is horrible. Stop forcing a melody when there's one there already. It's gross.

Otherwise the song is fine but melodically weak.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's ok but not good enough for a big comeback.
  • Options
    x+yx+y Posts: 2,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's quite a good tune, it'll no doubt do well due to being produced by Calvin Harris
  • Options
    Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's neither as interesting as shady love or their older work its way too generic they are better than this.