Anyone still primelary use 4:3 tellys?

14567810»

Comments

• The SnowmanThe Snowman Posts: 895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a 4:3 TV, a Playsonic. Got it for nothing a few years ago and use it as my bedroom television. Use it for my Playstation 3, and it does the job for me.
  • AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    But they don't cater to it anymore, they mention colours without thinking of those 13000 people. Also, I find it hard to believe that people are still watching black and white because they can't afford colour - B&W TV's haven't even been made since the 70s. More like tight-fisted misers who won't upgrade when it offers obvious benefits.

What about colourblind people or people who are totally blind? There are many TV shows that aren't repeated on radio, you know.

And Black and white TVs were still made up to the early 2000s, but loads of 70s B&W sets were so reliabile many still work now!
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AidanLunn wrote: »
    What about colourblind people or people who are totally blind? There are many TV shows that aren't repeated on radio, you know.

And Black and white TVs were still made up to the early 2000s, but loads of 70s B&W sets were so reliabile many still work now!

Well if a person is blind they will need a talking EPG, Audio description on all the time and the TV they have wont matter.
    Also they could just have a freeview box (or other digibox) connected to a set of speakers using the audio out from a scart out on the back of the box, the TV itself would be redundant, unless the person had some very limited sight in one or both eyes!
  • Omniconsumer93Omniconsumer93 Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So for colourblind people, we have to do every TV show only in colours they can see? (you must be an idiot if you think colourblind people see only in B&W).

You're so dense. The standard is 16:9 Colour. Not 4:3, not black and white, not kinescopes.
    Forum Member
    So for colourblind people, we have to do every TV show only in colours they can see? (you must be an idiot if you think colourblind people see only in B&W).

You're so dense. The standard is 16:9 Colour. Not 4:3, not black and white, not kinescopes.

Excuse me, please don't call me ense when you can't see the wood for the trees.

I was stating that colourblind people would probably prefer to use a B&W set because a) there would be no benefit to having a colour set as they can't see the colours the programme is in and b) because of this, there would be no benefit in paying for a colour TV licence

You really do yourself no favours when you resort to anger and insults on a trivial matter like this. In fact, it's rather sad and pathetic :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Excuse me, please don't call me ense when you can't see the wood for the trees.

I was stating that colourblind people would probably prefer to use a B&W set because a) there would be no benefit to having a colour set as they can't see the colours the programme is in and b) because of this, there would be no benefit in paying for a colour TV licence

You really do yourself no favours when you resort to anger and insults on a trivial matter like this. In fact, it's rather sad and pathetic :)

You do realise that most colourbind people can actually see colours, it's just that they can't differentiate between or see a particular colour (it varies depending on the person)...
    Forum Member
    You do realise that most colourbind people can actually see colours, it's just that they can't differentiate between or see a particular colour (it varies depending on the person)...

I know, hence my point about them not being able to see a programme in the colours they were originally intended to be seen.

Quote:

"I was stating that colourblind people would probably prefer to use a B&W set because a) there would be no benefit to having a colour set as they can't see the colours the programme is in and b) because of this, there would be no benefit in paying for a colour TV licence"
  • RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    Well if a person is blind they will need a talking EPG, Audio description on all the time and the TV they have wont matter.
    Also they could just have a freeview box (or other digibox) connected to a set of speakers using the audio out from a scart out on the back of the box, the TV itself would be redundant, unless the person had some very limited sight in one or both eyes!

Indeed, this is what many sight impaired* people do as there is then no requirement to buy a TV licence in returnfor no benefit.

*The term 'blind' has been superceded by the term 'sight impaired' as most people have some sort of vision, however poor.
    Excuse me, please don't call me dense when you can't see the wood for the trees.

I agree, there is never any excuse for rudeness in any situation, trivial or otherwise.

Just to add that some sight impaired people are entitled to a 50% discount off the TV licence, but if colour is of no benefit to a person, they might as well pay 50% of a black and white licence than a colour one.