Options

nba preseason game Manchester Tuesday 8 October

Comments

• Options
    packerbullypackerbully Posts: 2,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course there will be coverage 5 days a week on BT and Sky on a Sunday....
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course there will be coverage 5 days a week on BT and Sky on a Sunday....

Do you know something that no-one else seems to know?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soo, with less than 24 hours until the tip off of the new NBA season, we still haven't got a deal, this is a farce really.
  • Options
    Super_SteveSuper_Steve Posts: 4,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soo, with less than 24 hours until the tip off of the new NBA season, we still haven't got a deal, this is a farce really.

Indeed. I don't know why they make these things so complicated.
  • Options
    packerbullypackerbully Posts: 2,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you know something that no-one else seems to know?

Sarcasm...but that is what we should have if you compare many other European countries NBA coverage.

Internet / online coverage is expensive and only for those with great download limits / bandwidth...

NBA should get moving with tv deal!
  • Options
    TheCloakroom99TheCloakroom99 Posts: 431
    Forum Member
    **UPDATE FOR UK FANS**

1- We are working tirelessly to secure a TV deal for you our fans. We will let you know more as soon as we can.

2- You can watch the first week of games live and on demand for FREE with NBA League Pass at http://on.nba.com/ViiLOa

3 - For the first time in the UK, we are planning on a weekly FREE streamed game. More info to come!

https://www.facebook.com/nbauk
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well that's something at least. Fingers crossed it will continue to be on Sky Sports - or failing that FTA somewhere.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well that is better than nothing I suppose, but the first weeks games only are free, after that it is pretty useless than, unless you are willing to fork out extra money I suppose.

And planning to have a weekly game, is different to confirming having one free, so I am not getting my hopes up about that until it is confirmed.
  • Options
    PaulLFCPaulLFC Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder what the problem is with the NBA and getting a TV deal over here? Why do they always leave things so late when other sports sort their rights out months if not years before they're due to start?

It's not like they have a shortage of potential partners - Sky, BT, Premier, 5 have shown NBA before as well. All I can assume is they're asking too much and nobody's willing to pay what they're asking? I find it hard to believe that there's genuinely no broadcasters interested in showing NBA at all, so surely it must be a question of price?
  • Options
    malcy30malcy30 Posts: 7,176
    Forum Member
    Well that is better than nothing I suppose, but the first weeks games only are free, after that it is pretty useless than, unless you are willing to fork out extra money I suppose.

And planning to have a weekly game, is different to confirming having one free, so I am not getting my hopes up about that until it is confirmed.

I presume its planned in that if they get no UK TV deal then they will go ahead to keep some profile, but as soon as they get a TV deal here even if its pay TV then they will drop the idea.
    PaulLFC wrote: »
    I wonder what the problem is with the NBA and getting a TV deal over here? Why do they always leave things so late when other sports sort their rights out months if not years before they're due to start?

It's not like they have a shortage of potential partners - Sky, BT, Premier, 5 have shown NBA before as well. All I can assume is they're asking too much and nobody's willing to pay what they're asking? I find it hard to believe that there's genuinely no broadcasters interested in showing NBA at all, so surely it must be a question of price?

NFL have been the same leaving the deal until the last minute.

I think C5 have lost interest in US sports as they gave up MLB and NFL even when they could have continued MLB for a token fee, as they make more money from their through the night gambling show.

It is realistically only Sky or BT in the running as Premier have NHL. Also with timings the only games of any value are the Sunday night double header as that's UK Primetime. The problem is they won't show that when NFL is on as they won't want to take out two channels on the Sunday night when they already have La Liga, Golf and potentially other stuff like Darts or Tennis as well.

Agree it is probably price as we discussed last year the middle of the night games have minimal value outside the playoffs to a UK broadcaster and NBA probably want cash for them.
  • Options
    RobSmithSRobSmithS Posts: 1,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if that weekly free streamed game would almost certainly be one of the earlier Sunday tip-offs most weeks, early Saturday when there isn't one (then later Saturday when there isn't one of those!), it would be next to useless if it was 3am weeknights!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The feeling from fans on NBA UK's Facebook page is that no TV deal is a strategy to boost sign ups to the League Pass, and when sign ups start to slow down a TV deal will appear. Given the huge price they're charging for it, I can see why they might want to increase sign ups for the League Pass.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is sure not portraying the league in a good way, that is for sure.

If they want to grow the league, and be as big as say the Premier League, then they surely have to get a tv deal over here?

Watching games over the internet, is no real compromise to having games on the tv.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PaulLFC wrote: »
    The feeling from fans on NBA UK's Facebook page is that no TV deal is a strategy to boost sign ups to the League Pass, and when sign ups start to slow down a TV deal will appear. Given the huge price they're charging for it, I can see why they might want to increase sign ups for the League Pass.

I can't imagine the take up being that great given that a large proportion of games will be through the night and we won't have means to record the games unless you're very tech clever.

I used to just Sky+ the Heat games and watch the back the following evening. I'm a big NBA fan but not to the point where I'd subscribe purely for NBA content.
  • Options
    BoozyuziBoozyuzi Posts: 800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a bit disappointing but I suppose with a 82 game regular season followed by best of 7 play offs then I am ok to wait until after the NFL finishes.

I know it's all about TV money and filling schedules but the length of the season and number of games is ridiculous.
  • Options
    bamberbamber Posts: 1,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tweet from sportcal

Sportcal ‏@sportcal 5m

#NBA 'closing in' on UK television rights deal with 2013-14 season under way @nba http://www.sportcal.com/news/news_article.aspx?articleid=95980 … (£)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tweet from @sportcal
    NBA 'closing in' on UK television rights deal with 2013-14 season under way

Sportcal ‏@sportcal 2m
    #NBA 'closing in' on UK television rights deal with 2013-14 season under way @nba http://www.sportcal.com/news/news_article.aspx?articleid=95980 … (£)

*sorry - I posted exact same time as above!

Can anyone access the page and maybe cut and paste it in here?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I want to say that's encouraging, but "closing in" could mean anything. It doesn't specify how far away they are from agreeing a deal (the article may do, but I can't access it)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not having games on UK TV is one aspect. The other is that the NBA League Pass Monthly Membership rose by $2 before the Manchester game and by another $2 again today (ahead of the end of the Free Trial) to either $24 or $29 per month (£15 or £18). The annual price is 2-3 times that in other territories and 2-3 times the price of the MLB and NHL equivalents over here.

But to me the monthly pass price increases almost smack of unfair practice.

Both Premium and Standard packages have gone up by $4 since 2nd October (with 2x$2 increases since that time, this excluding any early bird deals)!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RobSmithS wrote: »
    Not having games on UK TV is one aspect. The other is that the NBA League Pass Monthly Membership rose by $2 before the Manchester game and by another $2 again today (ahead of the end of the Free Trial) to either $24 or $29 per month (£15 or £18). The annual price is 2-3 times that in other territories and 2-3 times the price of the MLB and NHL equivalents over here.

But to me the monthly pass price increases almost smack of unfair practice.

Both Premium and Standard packages have gone up by $4 since 2nd October (with 2x$2 increases since that time, this excluding an early bird deals)!

It is very unfair, seeing as that is the only real way to watch the games (well legally anyway).

I am just mightly peed off about the whole situation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As much as it goes against being able to watch the games legally, the only way to really make a point is if everyone who would have bought the league pass, doesn't. They'll soon do something, whether that be a TV deal or a cheaper pass, when they notice declining revenues from it. The current price is ridiculous.
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    BT Sport has secured the NBA rights in a multi-year deal. Panic over!
    See here..
    http://www.btplc.com/News/Articles/ShowArticle.cfm?ArticleID=C4B9B631-E4FF-454B-82C5-D32F2B1D0C0C
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »
    BT Sport has secured the NBA rights in a multi-year deal. Panic over!
    See here..
    http://www.btplc.com/News/Articles/ShowArticle.cfm?ArticleID=C4B9B631-E4FF-454B-82C5-D32F2B1D0C0C

Fantastic news!

Shame that D-Rose is injured once again though!
  • Options
    chrisr21chrisr21 Posts: 1,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah well, won't be subscribing to BT, so it's either other sources, or my diminishing interest in the NBA will sadly continue.
  • Options
    ep1987ep1987 Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.nba.com/schedules/international_nba_tv_schedule.html?ls=iref:nba:gnav

74 games up to and including the 1st of Feb. All 51 national broadcasts (ABC/ESPN/TNT) at first glance with an additional 23 fixtures.

A very good spread of games (only teams not shown are Orlando, Milwaukee, Charlotte, New Orleans, Sacramento and New Orleans).