Options

ITN News at ten

leicslad46leicslad46 Posts: 3,370
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Blimey i am in shock tonight the news at ten actually started bang on time. Is this a sign of things to come at ITV. Probably not but hey it is good that at least tonight it started on time. Dont know about the other nights of this week when it will be probably be around 2205 when it starts

Comments

• Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does it really matter.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    leicslad46 wrote: »
    Blimey i am in shock tonight the news at ten actually started bang on time. Is this a sign of things to come at ITV. Probably not but hey it is good that at least tonight it started on time. Dont know about the other nights of this week when it will be probably be around 2205 when it starts

It has started at 10 on the dot on the nights on the nights on which it has followed a two-hour drama, i.e. Lewis, Midsomer Murders.
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    And its 'ITV News' not ITN.....
    ITN produce it FOR ITV.

Its like saying 'I was watching Endemol earlier (Instead of Big Brother) and this gal got evicted'
  • Options
    finluxfinlux Posts: 3,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »
    ITN produce it FOR ITV.

Its like saying 'I was watching Endemol earlier (Instead of Big Brother) and this gal got evicted'

That's probably an age thing. It was always called ITN news for many, many years!
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    finlux wrote: »
    That's probably an age thing. It was always called ITN news for many, many years!

Probably depends how successfully people have been brainwashed by the ITV bosses, many of us still use the old ITV programme company names and call the news ITN and not the universal 'ITV' branding.
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    Probably depends how successfully people have been brainwashed by the ITV bosses, many of us still use the old ITV programme company names and call the news ITN and not the universal 'ITV' branding.

Imagine if you live in South some people going Southern, some tvs, some Meridian, some itv, some itv1.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly those days of ITV having a regional identity are long gone, perhaps with the exception of UTV.Most people I know just refer to ''ITV''.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITN have always produce the national and international news for ITV. As for the timing of news at ten It was always on at tIme in the good old days before granada took control of the network ten years ago. I would bet that it starts around 2203 tonight. A consequence of the broadcasting act 1990 which allowed an additional ad break between 2100 and 2200. Also i noticed that barclays was the ad during the programme last night. Does this mean that barclays are sponsoring news on channel 3 even though it is forbidden to sponsor news programmes
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITN have always produce the national and international news for ITV. As for the timing of news at ten It was always on at tIme in the good old days before granada took control of the network ten years ago. I would bet that it starts around 2203 tonight. A consequence of the broadcasting act 1990 which allowed an additional ad break between 2100 and 2200. Also i noticed that barclays was the ad during the programme last night. Does this mean that barclays are sponsoring news on channel 3 even though it is forbidden to sponsor news programmes

There is no sponsorship of TV news programmes in the UK.The producers of News at Ten would not know what ads were appearing and they have no contact with the advertisers. I am sure if there was a story critical of Barclays it would be reported on NAT.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    There is no sponsorship of TV news programmes in the UK.The producers of News at Ten would not know what ads were appearing and they have no contact with the advertisers. I am sure if there was a story critical of Barclays it would be reported on NAT.
    But with the barclays ad being the only one on during the break a round about sort of way for barclays sponsoring NAT. After all they are paying for space during it. It would be a conflict of interests if a barclays story broke and ITN had to cover it

News should be ad and sponsorship free but how long will be before we have the Barclays News at Ten. On the subject of sponsorship of programming i believe that its wrong Imho
  • Options
    JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But with the barclays ad being the only one on during the break a round about sort of way for barclays sponsoring NAT. After all they are paying for space during it. It would be a conflict of interests if a barclays story broke and ITN had to cover it

News should be ad and sponsorship free but how long will be before we have the Barclays News at Ten. On the subject of sponsorship of programming i believe that its wrong Imho

I think the only sponsorship News At When should have is from a bus company or train company, as they always come late.

Now talking about the thread title, it's never been called ITN News At Ten anyway, it was always just News At Ten, so it's not an age thing at all...
  • Options
    Forum Member

You are reading way too much into the timing of the Barclays ads.

If the programme was sponsored by Barclays it would say "Sponsored by Barclays".

ITN has no control over what ads ITV decides to broadcast during ITN-produced programmes. Actually, I saw one of the Barclays ads on a Saturday afternoon on Channel 4 (I happened to see it because my mother was watching Come Dine With Me).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    popeye13 wrote: »
    ITN produce it FOR ITV.

There is a difference:

Big Brother is an entertainment programme. News at Ten is a news programme.

ITN is still mentioned occasionally by newscasters and reporters on ITV News programmes.
  • Options
    Omniconsumer93Omniconsumer93 Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sigh, not this again. Why are you obsessed with the news at 10 starting exactly at 10? Does it really matter? Most programmes don't start on time...
  • Options
    Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV News does not sell advertising, so whatever appears in the time spot has nothing to do with them. ITV News is paid to provide a service, ITV sells the air time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sigh, not this again. Why are you obsessed with the news at 10 starting exactly at 10? Does it really matter? Most programmes don't start on time...
    It does matter to some. More so than others. I was brought up in the day the news at ten started on time back in the eighties. Unlike today when the additional ad break has caused it start after ten. Why cant broadcasters have the ad break when the programmes have finished. It seems pointless to have an ad break of five minutes about ten minutes before the programme is due to end. Tonight for the record it started at 2202. And if programmes dont start on time whats the point of having tv listings and just start the programmes when they feel like it. Just my opinion
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It does matter to some. More so than others. I was brought up in the day the news at ten started on time back in the eighties. Unlike today when the additional ad break has caused it start after ten. Why cant broadcasters have the ad break when the programmes have finished. It seems pointless to have an ad break of five minutes about ten minutes before the programme is due to end. Tonight for the record it started at 2202. And if programmes dont start on time whats the point of having tv listings and just start the programmes when they feel like it. Just my opinion

Reading your posts I think you still live in 1986

Just my opinion
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

As someone who works in Broadcasting, I suggest you listen to me so we can put this issue to rest.

1. The reason they put ad breaks in before the end is because if they don't, people won't watch the adverts and will just turn over. If they put ads before the end, it means people will stick around to watch the final part.

2. The reason most shows are a few minutes late starting is because they want people to see the adverts. People will turn over at 2200 and end up watching 2 minutes of adverts, whereas if the programme started dead on, those viewers would avoid an extra set of adverts.

3. Most people don't really use schedules anymore - they watch whatever they want, when they want - I know I do.

I'm pretty sure you live in the 80s, because all you ever do is complain and wish that things were like "the good old days" - aka Nostalgia. I bet the summers were warmer as well, weren't they?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As someone who works in Broadcasting, I suggest you listen to me so we can put this issue to rest.

1. The reason they put ad breaks in before the end is because if they don't, people won't watch the adverts and will just turn over. If they put ads before the end, it means people will stick around to watch the final part.

2. The reason most shows are a few minutes late starting is because they want people to see the adverts. People will turn over at 2200 and end up watching 2 minutes of adverts, whereas if the programme started dead on, those viewers would avoid an extra set of adverts.

3. Most people don't really use schedules anymore - they watch whatever they want, when they want - I know I do.

I'm pretty sure you live in the 80s, because all you ever do is complain and wish that things were like "the good old days" - aka Nostalgia. I bet the summers were warmer as well, weren't they?

And you could leave your front door open
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And you could leave your front door open

And't' postman always came before dinner!

Leicslad46 would fit in well with the Four Yorkshiremen! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And't' postman always came before dinner!

Leicslad46 would fit in well with the Four Yorkshiremen! :D

hey, nowt wrong with us Yorkshiremen. Its these East Midlanders you need to worry about. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hey, nowt wrong with us Yorkshiremen. Its these East Midlanders you need to worry about. :)

Hahaha, I have Yorkshire blood in me (Huddersfield)!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hahaha, I have Yorkshire blood in me (Huddersfield)!

Good man. That's two things we have in common. Both work in broadcasting and both from Yorkshire ( ish in your case ). We will have to be careful. We will get banned for talking sense :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i can remember when itn was a power house, a force to be reckoned with. news at ten was thee news programme. the beeb has taken that spot with their news at ten. sad to see the giant's demise, but the same can be said for itv. i think the decline happened at itn when itv moved their news programme all over the place and it became news at when? with itv the rot set in when the london franchise went to the awful carlton and londoners lost thames and the itv network lost some wonmderful shows. :(
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member

Oi..... Not all us lot are bad un's ya no! :D:D:D:D