Options

The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole Aged 13 3/4 - time for a remake?

Hollo and GonchHollo and Gonch Posts: 4,110
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This is my 3,000th post on Digital Spy, so I want to make it a significant one! Here goes...

I'm a huge fan of the Adrian Mole books. I love them and have read them all numerous times.

However, I think that the TV adaptations have been weak. Their direction has been predictable and stolid.

I was too young to appreciate the first adaptation when it originally aired, but have been catching up on YouTube. First part here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPaDlOsAsGs

My issues with the first series are that the pacing is wrong, the scenes are incoherent, and the lead actor isn't good enough to carry the role. This was also the case with the second series. The more recent series with Stephen Mangan hit the wrong tone entirely. It was too glossy and twee.

So this is what I'd do. I would keep Stephen Mangan and Julie Walters in their roles, but re-boot the series. The concept would be that the present-day Adrian finds and re-reads his old diaries from the start. Therefore, Stephen Mangan would be doing the voiceover, and could deliver the killer lines from the old books.

The flashback scenes from the 80s would be portrayed in a naturalistic way, but with fast cutting. They would be shot from a child's perspective, much like the old episodes of Grange Hill were. The events in the series would follow the diaries more loosely rather than trying to stick to the books scene-by-scene.

The feel would be quite gritty, rather than the cartoon-like feel of the most recent series.

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to bump this... but are there any other Adrian Mole fans out there? Would you like to see an updated/rebooted TV adaptation?

Who do you think should play Adrian? (Probably an unknown for the young version, unless anyone springs to mind?)

Which actors would be good in the other roles?
  • Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't see how it would work. Adrian Mole was very much of his time. I can't see it working in a modern setting, and I can't see it working as a flashback to the 80s because would the audience it would be aimed at like or get the 80s things?
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure it would work. I think it belongs in that age really. The theme tune was awesome.. one of the best and most memorable intro themes.

Elanor: snap! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elanor wrote: »
    I can't see how it would work. Adrian Mole was very much of his time. I can't see it working in a modern setting, and I can't see it working as a flashback to the 80s because would the audience it would be aimed at like or get the 80s things?

I'd like it :p

So that's a happy audience of one person already!
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm still a massive fan of the books. The last one had me crying my eyes out, as well as laughing.

I've never been impressed with any of the adaptations. None have really captured the books for me.
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    I think I liked Growing Pains and Wilderness Years best of the books. Havent read Weapons of Mass Destruction yet but didnt enjoy Capuccino Years as much, maybe because I was younger than Adrian was in that book (still am).
  • Options
    ~*~Jess~*~~*~Jess~*~ Posts: 4,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I absolutely LOVE the Adrian Mole books and have read them many times, but I wasn't even aware of a tv series. I'm not sure whether I'd like it, I guess I'd have to see who the actors playing the parts were but I'd definitely give it a go!
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Read the books, buy the DVDs of the eighties series, as I doubt events that happened in the early eighties would mean much to people under 35 now.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd love to see a remake of this classic eighties series. I enjoyed seeing how Adrian behaved around Pandora. He became stuck for words etc when with her. Yeah, great series.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Read the books, buy the DVDs of the eighties series, as I doubt events that happened in the early eighties would mean much to people under 35 now.

Early eighties? The series started in 1985!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Secret_Diary_of_Adrian_Mole_%28TV_series%29#Series_1
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't mind seeing "WOMD" or "prostate years".

Eighties looks rather drab.
  • Options
    JOHNORJOHNOR Posts: 3,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fantastic books, my absolute favourite.

i think your idea is strong, i would certainly watch it. stephen mangan is a great actor and could pull off adrian really well.
  • Options
    stash22stash22 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    I love the books, but I have never had the chance to watch the TV series so cheers for the links. I would definitely watch a new version too. Congrats on your 3,000th post.
  • Options
    draig gochdraig goch Posts: 1,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »

But the diary starts in 1981.
  • Options
    Chihiro94Chihiro94 Posts: 2,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed the book despite not being born till the nineties :p That Tv program linked, not so much though. I think the books work because you use your imagination and gloss over the references, not so sure about a TV series.
  • Options
    pembo2004pembo2004 Posts: 4,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no no no some things u shouldnt remake this is one of them imo
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i was just telling my oldest daughter about Adrian Mole a week or two back, think i might get the books in, i only remember reading the first two years ago
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    draig goch wrote: »
    But the diary starts in 1981.

I thought they meant when the TV series started.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elanor wrote: »

I'd say so! The BBC broadcast an eighties season just last year. Recent history in general is a pretty popular setting - different enough to be interesting and to stand out on TV, familiar enough to be relatable.