Windows 10

Comments

• RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kirbyreed wrote: »
    with that i keep hearing about doing a clean install vs not, and maybe needing some sort of key? and i don't know what any of this means. i just need so simple step by step instructions for it if i'm going to attempt it because i really don't want to mess up my laptop.

The link as call100 mentioned is here.http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install

(It is better to backup your stuff first, as always)

Run the Media Creation Tool.

The Upgrade button allows you to Upgrade in 'real-time http://postimg.org/image/kb3gz6icf/

(Sadly, sometimes, it also fails to complete)

So,

"Creating installation nedia for another PC" is a good alternative method.

Check what version you need to grab. eg Home/Pro, 32/64 and Installed Language.
    Belarc Advisor will tell you what you have.

Make a USB Flash (4GB+) and run Setup (on the Flash) to Upgrade.

Don't boot the Flash Drive. That's for a Clean Install and you must Upgrade first for the License to be automatically sorted out.

If asked for a License, skip it. You don't need it if existing Windows is activated.
  • ToenToen Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has anybody else noticed a problem with "Windows is running out of memory". I have 6gig ram and I have tried increasing virtual memory but I keep getting this warning.
    I do not think Windows 10 runs as well as 8 did. So far I am seeing no advantages just gimmicks like Cortana.
  • kirbyreedkirbyreed Posts: 1,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The link as call100 mentioned is here.http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install

(It is better to backup your stuff first, as always)

Run the Media Creation Tool.

The Upgrade button allows you to Upgrade in 'real-time http://postimg.org/image/kb3gz6icf/

(Sadly, sometimes, it also fails to complete)

So,

"Creating installation nedia for another PC" is a good alternative method.

Check what version you need to grab. eg Home/Pro, 32/64 and Installed Language.
    Belarc Advisor will tell you what you have.

Make a USB Flash (4GB+) and run Setup (on the Flash) to Upgrade.

Don't boot the Flash Drive. That's for a Clean Install and you must Upgrade first for the License to be automatically sorted out.

If asked for a License, skip it. You don't need it if existing Windows is activated.

i think i've done it? it's now installing and says it's 7% done. that was surprisingly easy! thanks guys!
  • ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Been using it a week now and like it, much better than 8.1 and I prefer it to 7. It seems very quick and responsive although I did turn off all MS snooping and am not using Edge or Cortana.
  • Amanda_RaymondAmanda_Raymond Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ahh I need help I upgraded my windows 7 to windows 10, it said my pc was fine to update to it, everything seemed to install ok but then it went onto the screen it looks something like this, going to link a tweet i sent here with an image

https://twitter.com/princessgleek/status/629775065702338561

Everytime I try to do something, the clock freezes for ages then went it starts up again there's very little i can do but I'm pretty sure windows 10 isnt suppose to look that, what should I do?
  • KrommKromm Posts: 6,180
    Forum Member
    Toen wrote: »
    Has anybody else noticed a problem with "Windows is running out of memory". I have 6gig ram and I have tried increasing virtual memory but I keep getting this warning.
    I do not think Windows 10 runs as well as 8 did. So far I am seeing no advantages just gimmicks like Cortana.
    Since people are running Win 10 with 1/6th the memory you are with no memory issues, methinks something is wrong with yours. A virus, trojan or just some insane load of memory resident programs. A bug specific to your motherboard chipset. Etc.

Don't take the blunt approach of simply rolling the OS back before you do a SERIOUS spyware scan, take a serious look in your task manager to see what's running, and a good look around the Event Log to see what's up there.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ahh I need help I upgraded my windows 7 to windows 10, it said my pc was fine to update to it, everything seemed to install ok but then it went onto the screen it looks something like this, going to link a tweet i sent here with an image

https://twitter.com/princessgleek/status/629775065702338561

Everytime I try to do something, the clock freezes for ages then went it starts up again there's very little i can do but I'm pretty sure windows 10 isnt suppose to look that, what should I do?
    I can't see the problem in the picture. It looks like a desktop, which it should be. Obviously it shouldn't be going slow. Have you rebooted a few times?

Edit: do you mean the white icons on the desktop?
  • oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Toen wrote: »

It looks like this is a bug - see

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/windows-10-how-fix-system-ntoskrnl-exe-memory-leak-high-cpu-usage-1514316
    Forum Member
    oilman wrote: »
    That's not really what that says (that this is a bug).

It simply lists that a number of people are reporting similar symptoms and then talks about standard causes, like Malware, bad drivers. and POSSIBLY (but not definitely) the Runtime Broker process.

That last IS one new thing people can specifically look at, but the malware and old/bad drivers are things that everyone should be looking at anyway, regardless, with ANY unexpected problem, be it in Win 7, 8, 10, etc., old or new, "Out of Memory" or just general oddness.

I mean I don't even see most people acknowledging that they'd done malware scans before running the upgrade (muchless went the extra step to unhook extra devices, uninstall old drivers, then plugged them BACK in under 10 and looked for new drivers).
  • snuffle_-_uksnuffle_-_uk Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does any one know how to change the label of tiles in the Start menu?

In Edge I've pinned to Start a few websites. But, the tile has the destination page title (?) rather than the website name, e.g. 'Showbiz, entertainment, and media news - Digital Spy' rather than just 'Digital Spy'. As there's limited space in a medium tile, all I can see is 'Showbiz, ente...'! I just want the tile to say 'Digital Spy'.

Any ideas? I tried googling it but didn't find any answers that applied to the released version of Windows 10.
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member

In Edge I've pinned to Start a few websites. But, the tile has the destination page title (?) rather than the website name, e.g. 'Showbiz, entertainment, and media news - Digital Spy' rather than just 'Digital Spy'. As there's limited space in a medium tile, all I can see is 'Showbiz, ente...'! I just want the tile to say 'Digital Spy'.

Any ideas? I tried googling it but didn't find any answers that applied to the released version of Windows 10.

Try favouriting the website first (by clicking the star icon), edit the name to what you want and THEN pin to start.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cortana is the new Internet Explorer of evil.

In what way? I do think privacy is a issue with it and it requires so much info for it to work, including being linked to a Ms account.

I used it a couple of times, just to try it out and then i disabled it. I do not see it of much use on a desktop to be honest.
    Saying that I do not have windows 10 on my system anymore, my hard drive I had it installed on have gone belly up, so back on Windows 8.1 at the moment.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kirbyreed wrote: »
    i think i've done it? it's now installing and says it's 7% done. that was surprisingly easy! thanks guys!

Well done, not difficult at all really, I done something like it a while back to update from 7 to 8.1. Not that I like updating to be honest
    Forum Member

Since I don't recall a direct way to do this in Win 8/8.1, I doubt they WANT us to be doing this.

That said, the info is all contained in files on your PC and you just have to track those down. Under your user profile directories (in hidden system files) there's a path like this:

C:\Users\{YOUR USER NAME}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

I recall that under Win 8 you could rename directories here and they corresponded to tiles (although I don't think the tiles are ALL contained in this location--just some of them. No idea if the same is true in Win 10 or not. I quickly tried it and it didn't seem to work, but I didn't reboot or restart Explorer or anything like that (which might be necessary to see such a change).

EDIT - Okay, what appears to be in that location are the NON-Metro apps only that have Start Tiles. The Metro ones are not in that location.
  • 1manonthebog1manonthebog Posts: 3,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can I just ask has anyone else got issues with Intel integrated graphics? When I wake my laptop from sleep I get an error that it crashed or failed to start, some times I am left with a black screen and have to try again by closing the lid and opening it again.
  • SambdaSambda Posts: 6,210
    Forum Member
    Stig wrote: »
    Exactly. So, do an upgrade to obtain your W10 licence activation, then do a W10 Recovery/Reset to effectively do a clean install.

Yup. The laptops at work I've been mucking about with as experiments have all exhibited problems with the soley upgrade route. We ended up doing them all clean. A whole batch with Synaptics clickpads don't work, though - Win10 doesn't even see the clickpads as mice, let alone anything else - Win10 doesn't even seem to see the hardware.

Problems also with Services MMC snap-in crashing. Also big delays applying GPOs from servers. We've pretty much come to the conclusion there is not much in Win10 for desktop users, but it's better than 8 for touchscreens. For desktops it's still the horrible mix of "clunky over-sized metro style" and "desktop style" bits and pieces. Why are settings spli between "settings" and control panel etc. etc. etc. Still the ghosts of Win8 here. Nothing suggests needing to move on from Win7 for desktops.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^ Is Windows 10 The Emperor with No Clothes?
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    ^^ Is Windows 10 The Emperor with No Clothes?

It's Windows 7 with curtains for clothes.
  • NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    Saying that I do not have windows 10 on my system anymore, my hard drive I had it installed on have gone belly up, so back on Windows 8.1 at the moment.

So that's why you've been so quiet since July 29! :)
  • SambdaSambda Posts: 6,210
    Forum Member
    If any others of you are involved in corporate IT, note there are reports coming in of it downloading itself onto business machines. That's machines with Pro or better versions of Windows; with Volume-Licensed versions; and joined to domains. No info as to whether it tries to actually install or not, or what happens for users who are non-admin (as most should be in a business context). Hadn't happened on any machines at my POW as of Friday, but we'll see on Monday...
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know if they have or not (haven't got Windows 10), but it would be nice if they've brought back the Windows Experience Index. It was quite interesting to see how fast your hardware was.
  • oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    I don't know if they have or not (haven't got Windows 10), but it would be nice if they've brought back the Windows Experience Index. It was quite interesting to see how fast your hardware was.

The results from that were useless. Speed depends on what you are doing eg you could have a fast cpu but slow graphics card. So it could be fast for data processing eg converting a video format, but be useless for a video game.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since I went directly from W7 to W10, I never realised the little Genuine sticker/'hologram' was discontinued.

I liked that. I am bereft. https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=control+panel+system+windows+genuine&safe=off&pws=0&gl=uk&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAmoVChMI0ZCBpIyaxwIVYkfbCh1qkQCi&biw=1366&bih=532#imgrc=_
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I might upgrade to Windows 10 tomorrow. If I think it's unstable, I'll just put Windows 8.1 back on. I've been getting nagging messages about upgrading to Windows 10 after every time I've switched the computer on. It's getting on my nerves.