Major announcement: November 18th - Set your TV free

Comments

• MaccaMacca Posts: 18,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whatever it is they'll probably gonna charge an extra £20 pm for it.
  • LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maccadanny wrote: »
    Whatever it is they'll probably gonna charge an extra £20 pm for it.

Beat me to it!

Whatever it is expect a letter within a few months telling you your price is going up.
  • Auntie ClimaxAuntie Climax Posts: 917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cloud based storage - does that mean you wouldn't be able to access it without an internet connection?
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cloud based storage - does that mean you wouldn't be able to access it without an internet connection?

More than likely. But that's why Sky wants to sell you an internet connection for nearly free with your TV package.

Who knows, it might have a hard drive too
  • philenglandphilengland Posts: 8,176
    Forum Member
    What ever it is - they will charge extra for it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    More than likely. But that's why Sky wants to sell you an internet connection for nearly free with your TV package.

Who knows, it might have a hard drive too
    I'm just wondering about the times when my internet connection fails, and that would mean that I wouldn't have access to my recordings to fill the time. It would be useful to be able to select what recordings are available in the cloud, for use on another device, but to also keep them on the box for internet failures. I guess we'll find out in a few weeks. :D
  • coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You would think Sky had invented colour tv

I guess most will say on the 18th , Is that all it is ?
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,439
    Forum Member
    I guess most will say on the 18th , Is that all it is ?

I would 'hope' it's going to an announcement about the coming launch of a brand new Sky box - but it seems an 'overly excited' link for just that.
  • methodyguymethodyguy Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    I hope the announcement is about the launch of a 4K Service and the launch of a new 4K enabled box.
  • realistrealist Posts: 339
    Forum Member
    Its interesting indeed reading the above and people guessing the outcome.

Some may be right, some may be wrong and far off the mark but I assure you that it is ineed worth the wait.

All Im goibng to say is the competition is going to stand up and notice that Sky is a major player in the TV world and whats coming will revelutionise TV.

Im excited by it all.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,439
    Forum Member
    realist wrote: »

All Im goibng to say is the competition is going to stand up and notice that Sky is a major player in the TV world and whats coming will revelutionise TV.

They already know that :p

I think you've been 'got at' by the spin doctors :D
  • HarshadHarshad Posts: 5,996
    Forum Member
    They are giving us dvb-s3 boxes maybe?
  • coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have 4 HD boxes and 5 HD TV . A move to 4K on even 1 of the Tvs or boxes in our house is not going to happen

I fell for Smart/ 3d Tvs last time around,as long as the TVS are working fine HD is fine for me and my family
    Forum Member
    Spin doctor is that not a pop group ;0
    They already know that :p

I think you've been 'got at' by the spin doctors :D
  • muppetman11muppetman11 Posts: 2,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe wrong here but didn't the original Telegraph article last year say Andrew Olson (Sky) previously of Comcast was involved in the development of Project Ethan. If so I'm sure he was invloved in the development of the Comcast Xfinity X1 Cloud product.

Could there be any similarities ? It looks a pretty decent box.

http://www.xfinity.com/x1
    Forum Member
    Whistle, Whistle um um LOL
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe wrong here but didn't the original Telegraph article last year say Andrew Olson (Sky) previously of Comcast was involved in the development of Project Ethan. If so I'm sure he was invloved in the development of the Comcast Xfinity X1 Cloud product.

I would pay an extra £20 a month for it! :o
  • Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,935
    Forum Member
    There's no mention of 4k on that promotional page (or HD for that matter, but surely it's a given that it offers HD!)
    "Set your TV free" definitely sounds like a slogan for that sort of service.
    4k may or may not be involved too, but it can't be the main point of the announcement.
    :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whos mentioned an extra £20 or are you just plucking numbers out the air.
  • M60M60 Posts: 5,591
    Forum Member
    Dave-H wrote: »
    There's no mention of 4k on that promotional page (or HD for that matter, but surely it's a given that it offers HD!)
    4k may or may not be involved too, but it can't be the main point of the announcement.

Agree too. Realist I'm sure knows what's planned but naturally isn't going to say anything here due to commercial confidentiality which I fully understand. I'm suspecting something cloud based but we'll all find out what it is in due course.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whos mentioned an extra £20 or are you just plucking numbers out the air.
    I was referring to the earlier posts stating it would probably cost extra per month, one suggesting £20. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave-H wrote: »
    Yes Dave the Xfinity X1 is HD however it has been out at least a year or so hence no 4K although I believe they've announced a 4K box.
  • eskimo48eskimo48 Posts: 44
    Forum Member

This looks really expensive $90/month for first year, then up to $148/month after.
  • Tom123Tom123 Posts: 1,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds about right. Would mean a £20 fee on top of the subscription for us.
  • Malcolm AJMalcolm AJ Posts: 688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Don't forget to ask matron for your sedation pills;-)