Options

Samsung T24D39OS not picking up HD channels

Phil OwensPhil Owens Posts: 6,989
Forum Member
Just set up a Samsung T24D39OS in the bedroom but it's not picking up any HD channels .
It's using the same aerial as the living room tv via a distribution amp. Tried manual tune but it's showing no signal from the HD muxes at Winter Hill.
Anyone know what is wrong ? Faulty tv maybe?

Comments

• Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suspect the reason for that may have something to do with it not being a Freeview HD TV.

From what I can tell googling the beast it is DVB-T only. It would need to be DVB-T2 compliant as well to receive Freeview HD channels.

It may describe itself as a Full HD TV but that only refers to the display panel. it has no relevance at all to whether or not it can receive HD broadcasts.
  • Options
    Phil OwensPhil Owens Posts: 6,989
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    I suspect the reason for that may have something to do with it not being a Freeview HD TV.

From what I can tell googling the beast it is DVB-T only. It would need to be DVB-T2 compliant as well to receive Freeview HD channels.

It may describe itself as a Full HD TV but that only refers to the display panel. it has no relevance at all to whether or not it can receive HD broadcasts.

Might take it back to Currys then..
    Thanks..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil Owens wrote: »
    Might take it back to Currys then..
    Thanks..

Unless someone in Currys explicitly told you it could receive Freeview HD then they are under no obligation to take it back. They may accept it as a goodwill gesture but as the TV is not actually faulty you have no automatic right to a refund/exchange.

So be prepared for them to politely show you the door...
  • Options
    Kevin1960Kevin1960 Posts: 5,610
    Forum Member
    One of the reviews on the Currys link says you won't be able to receive Freeview HD channels.

I think the Currys info is very misleading. I would have expected it to pick the HD channels up.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,527
    Forum Member
    Unless someone in Currys explicitly told you it could receive Freeview HD then they are under no obligation to take it back.

Unless they specifically told you it COULDN'T receive Freeview HD, then I don't think you'd have any problem taking it back. It's certainly something the sales person should tell you about - but they probably didn't even know :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil Owens wrote: »
    Kevin1960 wrote: »
    One of the reviews on the Currys link says you won't be able to receive Freeview HD channels.

I think the Currys info is very misleading. I would have expected it to pick the HD channels up.
    The information on the Currys site is actually accurate (did I really write that? :D). Just that the way they present it could be a bit better.

The tuner in this set is DVB-T which means it will only pick up the Freeview SD muxes. To receive the Freeview HD muxes it requires a DVB-T2 tuner. The confusion is that they mention it has a Freeview tuner followed by saying it is Full HD without making clear the Full HD only refers to the resolution of the display panel.

But nowhere does it say the TV is Freeview HD.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless they specifically told you it COULDN'T receive Freeview HD, then I don't think you'd have any problem taking it back. It's certainly something the sales person should tell you about - but they probably didn't even know :D

If they told the OP it couldn't receive Freeview HD they would be perfectly correct. So that bit of consumer law wouldn't apply as a reason to take it back.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,527
    Forum Member
    If they told the OP it couldn't receive Freeview HD they would be perfectly correct. So that bit of consumer law wouldn't apply as a reason to take it back.

Which was what I said :D
  • Options
    Howard_GilpinHoward_Gilpin Posts: 2,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The term 'Full HD' is confusing to customers many of whom naturally assume it means 'Freeview HD' when it does not. Can anyone tell me what the difference is between 'Full HD' and 'HD Ready?'
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The term 'Full HD' is confusing to customers many of whom naturally assume it means 'Freeview HD' when it does not. Can anyone tell me what the difference is between 'Full HD' and 'HD Ready?'

Full HD usually means the display panel resolution is the full 1920x1080 so can display HD sources without scaling.

HD Ready usually means the display panel is lower resolution than 1920x1080 but it can accept higher resolution sources and scale to fit.

As you say the problem comes from it not being made clear that these terms only apply to the display panel and make no reference to broadcast signal formats. But this is a debate that has been going on for years and no-one seems to have resolved it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which was what I said :D

That's not how I read it. It seemed from your post that you were saying that Currys telling you the TV couldn't do something it was not designed to do, (ie being truthful about it's capabilities), was grounds to return it. Or is that not what you meant?
  • Options
    Hacker HarrierHacker Harrier Posts: 1,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SAMSUNG T24E390 24" LED TV Full HD 1080p Freeview HD DTS Virtual Surround
    £169.99 Currys

This is the one with Freeview HD, DVB-T2.
    It's not a 'Smart TV'. No ethernet socket, so no Freeview connect IPTV channels. TV/computer monitor. Assembled in Romania.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SAMSUNG-T24E390-24-LED-TV-Full-HD-1080p-Freeview-HD-DTS-Virtual-Surround-/121888438673