Frozen Kindle screen

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,991
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi there, I've checked the first 7 pages and there doesn't seem to be a thread about this...

I've recently bit the bullet and bought a kindle. It was working fine and I fell in love with it but I popped it down for 5 minutes and when I picked it back up again half the screen was frozen and still remains so. I've only had it less than 2 weeks, I havent dropped it, its been in a cover and I have no idea what to do? I can't even find the receipt now and I'm normally so good at putting my receipts away.

Grrr... really annoyed at myself, Can anyone give any tips on what I could do to fix this? I understand it is a common problem. Alternatively, I might try Tesco's and see if they will exchange it without the receipt?!

Its the basic £69 kindle

Comments

• raymartin01raymartin01 Posts: 1,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hold the Start button (next to the charging port) in for 20 seconds, then release. This will restart your device and should clear the problem.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you... I have already tried this several times. It doesn't work :cry:
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Call Amazon. They may send you a replacement.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Call Amazon. They may send you a replacement.

I didn't buy it from Amazon I bought it at Tesco's. Still can't find the receipt but will see if they will replace it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UPDATE...

I've spoken to the store and they have said that if I can bring in a credit card statement showing that I made a purchase from their store on that date for for value of the Kindle then they will replace it.

Fingers crossed the next one doesnt develop a similar or any other fault!

Thank you to those who have replied
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,270
    Forum Member
    I've spoken to the store and they have said that if I can bring in a credit card statement showing that I made a purchase from their store on that date for for value of the Kindle then they will replace it.

Nothing unusual there - a credit card (or bank) statement is perfectly acceptable as proof of purchase, which is why it's always best NOT to pay cash.

Note though that this only applies to the retailer you purchased it from - a manufacturer probably wouldn't accept it as proof (the retailer 'should' be able to confirm the purchase from those details, a manufacturer couldn't).
  • es6300es6300 Posts: 298
    Forum Member
    My 2year+ kindle keyboard was replaced by Amazon FOC.
    It too had a frozen screen.

BBC watchdog & Which have an article on frozen Kindle. But it appears just to be the keyboard version.

Yours is under warrenty, so no problem in obtaining a replacement.
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My understanding of Amazon's good customer service is that it won't matter whether you bought the Kindle from them or not. If it's registered with them and you're using it with a UK account, they'll replace it if it's faulty, which it clearly is. That said, you'll get a quicker swap by taking it back to Tesco.
  • izanamiizanami Posts: 2,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have to hold the button for a lot longer than 20 seconds. My son's kindle has frozen a couple of times now and it has taken at least a minute to reset (and we found a lot of sites saying hold it for 50 something seconds)
  • chandlerpchandlerp Posts: 4,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Generally you hold the button in for as long as it takes the screen to flash and then release it.