Options

Ways NuWho can survive and continue

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
Forum Member
Before I start, none of these are my opinions, just suggestions of what could happen.

The topic about whether Dr who can continue indefinitely really inspired me to make this topic, and as the doctor is ever-changing, and the many different genres and formats presented in the show keep it alive I wanted to brainstorm some ideas about where The series may go in the future.

For the ideas for the doctor, there can be limitless themes and personalities to explore - A key feature to the shows survival. In the future some possible ideas, themes and looks used may be:

. A black doctor: an idea that is so far been avoided in all 14 incarnations, and an idea which some fans still view negatively - but at the same time could still really mix up he format of the show. The idea of breaking the all white format should only be done if there is a great actor to play him, and not just because they need a black guy to avoid being racist. It'll be a nice change and an interesting concept to visit some notoriously racist place with a black doctor to see how he reacts to it.

.A female doctor: a just as debated topic as the black doctor aguement, yet the fanbase (me included) seems a bit less lenient for this one that could entirely change the show... But after all change = survival, so just like a black doctor a girl would be a new take on the show that could flip the whole doctor/companion thing on its head.

A paraplegic doctor: okay, this one may sounds like a joke, and well it would be at the moment, but look another 25-30 years in the future and the world may be so politically correct that it would be as sin not to have a paraplegic doctor. So at the moment it may seem stupid, but it may be another great change from the regular format, who knows? Just imagine a professor X type scenario in NuWho....

A gay doctor: (and by this I refer to both a gay actor or actual doctor character) - very unlikely, but if the show feels it needs to (and with the world accepting gay rights more and more) it will. Doesn't mean the doctor has to run around with male companions and fall in love with them though!

A Split regeneration: this is my personal favourite idea. So just imagine the doctor encounters a regeneration problem, and he ends up only partly changing, meaning he changes every couple of episodes, a great chance to include guest stars, every other options I've already said and just explore many different personalities and looks in one series.

Story options
So as well as the protagonist changing, so can the story. Mixing up the styles can really keep it alive just as regeneration can. They've all ready done a major change as Gallifrey falls no more, but the other possibilities are endless...
I'm not going to explain my opinions as I've already wrote too much, your probably die by the time I'd wrote about anything.

-Gallifrey returns
-return of a redesigned K9
-Time War II
-Doctor rejoins UNIT
-fix the chameleon circuit (don't ask)
-doctor joins Torchwood

Okay some of those stories probably made you say WTF out loud, but just remember change = survival.

Comments

• Options
    doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,340
    Forum Member
    there's seems to be a lot of this female/black/gay doctor stuff going around the forum lately and I just don't get it. The doctor should be picked based on the actors qualifications for the job, and nothing else. If the suitable actor, picked on their merits, just happen's to be female/black /gay then fair enough but I really don't think they should go about looking for someone of those traits just to look politically correct.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What? The Doctor as a character isn't the thing that needs changing, he's been around for 50 years and the show's managed to survive just fine (apart from when it didn't, but that wasn't because the Doctor was a white male). Most of those just seem like ways the show could be seem more political correct. Also most of the story ideas aren't changes, they're retreads of ideas which have already been done.
  • Options
    silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paterson Joseph. Nuff said. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fix the chameleon circuit? - NO!
    Phone box is the symbol of the show for 50 years, and it worked just fine.

Female doctor? - NO!!!
    Time lords are not sexless species! That would be the same as if River Song regenerates into male. Male doctor is not sexist, he is just MALE character, just as James Bond or Mr. Bean. Forcing political correctness for it's sake is just foolish. Especially in such nonsensical way.

The rest would be fine, although not necessary.
  • Options
    lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    These would emphatically change the show though- having a black Doctor and using his race to explore racial attitudes; exploring the Doctor's sexuality; exploring what it's like to be paraplegic- these are adult topics. Whilst an episode or two could touch on these, it's too mature and serious for kids. It also doesn't sound like much of a laugh either.

Your story options are a bit better, although I'm not sure about joining Torchwood. It worked better as a spin-off in its own right.
  • Options
    tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fix the chameleon circuit? - NO!
    Phone box is the symbol of the show for 50 years, and it worked just fine.

Female doctor? - NO!!!
    Time lords are not sexless species! That would be the same as if River Song regenerates into male. Male doctor is not sexist, he is just MALE character, just as James Bond or Mr. Bean. Forcing political correctness for it's sake is just foolish. Especially in such nonsensical way.

The rest would be fine, although not necessary.

It would be the same as if The Rani came back, but was being played by a man.
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this a joke?

What difference does the actor's sexuality make?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    Is this a joke?
    Sorry everyone for writing this, I apologise completely for wasting your presious time reading this topic. Let's just say the idea in my head is good, but typing it out lost a bit of meaning along the way, rendering this a absalute mess. I was lazy and lacking in any explanation at all making this whole thing seem like I was taking the Mick. I'm sorry.
    In the next couple of days I will re-write a new topic about this to explain what I was originally trying to say, and if that also turns out to be another bunch of terrible suggestions then I'll delete my account strait away and leave everyone alone.
    Puca
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So.... it was a joke or....? :confused::D
  • Options
    Sharon87Sharon87 Posts: 3,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anything PC for the sake of being PC is just wrong and stupid. People aren't thick and it'll feel forced. Female Doctor no, definitely not. Black doctor? Ok if the actor is good and Doctor-like. Paraplegic Doctor? That'll limit the stories, maybe temporarily disable the Doctor for an episode or 2, but that's as far as it should go. a gay Doctor? Well he's not an overtly sexual character anyway, ok he's had a few romantic involvements, but not anything major. I don't like the split regeneration thing either.
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Puca wrote: »
    I'll delete my account strait away and leave everyone alone.
    Puca

A bit over-dramatic, surely? It's only a forum about a TV programme. You can write what you like; if people don't like it they are free to ignore it. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A bit over-dramatic, surely? It's only a forum about a TV programme. You can write what you like; if people don't like it they are free to ignore it. :)

Hahaha I thought someone would pick up on that!! ;) it was only a joke my friend :) all be it not a very funny one...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So.... it was a joke or....? :confused::D

No it wasn't, but now I think everyone sees it as so... Have fun taking the piss!! Haha ;)
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

-Gallifrey returns
    -return of a redesigned K9
    -Time War II
    -Doctor rejoins UNIT
    -fix the chameleon circuit (don't ask)
    -doctor joins Torchwood

Okay some of those stories probably made you say WTF out loud, but just remember change = survival.
    Inner City Venusian Aikido. Very cheap to make. Do it in a pub car park.

Cooking in Shada.

A Sparrow Amongst the Pigeons. Well, it's just a title, I mean... Erm... No, uh-uh-uh, opening sequence, Sally Sparrow, in Trafalgar Square, feeding the pigeons, going "Oh God!"

Erm, erm... Youth Hosteling with... Strax.

Bandril Tennis?
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Inner City Venusian Aikido. Very cheap to make. Do it in a pub car park.

Cooking in Shada.

A Sparrow Amongst the Pigeons. Well, it's just a title, I mean... Erm... No, uh-uh-uh, opening sequence, Sally Sparrow, in Trafalgar Square, feeding the pigeons, going "Oh God!"

Erm, erm... Youth Hosteling with... Strax.

Bandril Tennis?

would you like me to lapdance for you?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No it wasn't, but now I think everyone sees it as so... Have fun taking the piss!! Haha ;)

Then maybe you could elaborate on the gay actor point because I'm at a loss. What does the sexuality of the actor have to do with the show? :D
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    there's seems to be a lot of this female/black/gay doctor stuff going around the forum lately and I just don't get it. The doctor should be picked based on the actors qualifications for the job, and nothing else. If the suitable actor, picked on their merits, just happen's to be female/black /gay then fair enough but I really don't think they should go about looking for someone of those traits just to look politically correct.

Yes, but for a black or female actor to be picked based on their qualifications, we have to first remove the qualification that the actor needs to be a white male. Some people don't accept that, and so therefore they can never be qualified for the job.
  • Options
    lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    Then maybe you could elaborate on the gay actor point because I'm at a loss. What does the sexuality of the actor have to do with the show? :D

Yes, I found that a bit odd as well, particularly as the Doctor is not allowed to fall in love with any men on screen.

I can understand that it might be interesting to bring a different angle to the Doctor role, such as Peter Capaldi bringing the 'old' angle ;), however is it really any of our business? If one of the past Doctors were to come out, would we see their performance as having been enriched by their homosexuality? Privately the actor might use it to evoke certain feelings such as prejudice and persecution, things they might be able to relate to, but prejudice and persecution can happen for all sorts of reasons.
  • Options
    Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    It'll survive by having great stories to tell and good cast/crew maintaining a high quality.

A female Doctor isn't going to happen. Certain people need to accept that and move on.