iPhone 5 vs Samsung Galaxy SIII

191011121315»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just thought, I'm not sure the iPhone does what I described earlier (uses MMS for short messages sent to lots of contacts at once). I think it might be have been my old (pre-Android) SE phone that did that.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just thought, I'm not sure the iPhone does what I described earlier (uses MMS for short messages sent to lots of contacts at once). I think it might be have been my old (pre-Android) SE phone that did that.

It's never done it to me.

I've only sent MMS instead of SMS by adding an attachment or a subject, never simply from sending a message to multiple contacts.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^^^

Yeah, must have been the old SE. With the iPhone I wouldn't know if it was sending it as an MMS. On the old SE it used change from SMS to MMS on the screen.
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kidspud wrote: »
    I'm not ignoring the rest of your post as I think you make valid points. I was just giving my view that choice (which is good) soon becomes confusion (which I don't think is so great). I would guess (happy to be wrong) that most people do not go for major re-configuration of their phone (I expect most just change a background picture).

The only corrections I wanted to make is I have not come from iphone, my only previous smartphone (loose definition) is a blackberry (my wife has an ipad). My other point is the vast, vast majority of people own smartphones less than 4" so that is the norm.

Maybe a silly question but Is changing the ROM on a phone considered jailbreaking?

Sorry kidspud, I thought you were coming from an iPhone. I was just getting confused. I take your point about the number of phones below 4" however the trend is getting bigger. Choice can be overwhelming but hopefully right app is out there. I find it easier to search the Play Store on a PC rather than a phone. If you are logged in on the PC you can send the app to the phone when you have found it. And there is no need for the phone to be connected to the PC.

Rooting an Android phone is like jailbreaking. It enables you to have greater control. Things like tethering become possible even if your carrier has blocked it.

Custom Roms are versions of Android that independent developers have put together that offer improved battery, a smoother experience and greater customisation. Of course as they may well have put together by one guy in his bedroom so they quite often have bugs. One advantage though is that they offer a continued upgrade path to devices that have been dropped by the manufacturer.

I have to say it is nice to have a sensible and polite discussion. A rarity on the Mobile Phone sub forum