Options

I might be getting a cat, :)

BethaneenyBethaneeny Posts: 10,094
Forum Member
✭✭
I've wanted a cat my entire life, but my dad doesnt like them
Him and mum ( idk how happy he is about it) have got this woman from the cat adoption place coming round tomorrow, to assess us, and then I might be getting one, for my 16th birthday

What sort of things will she be assessing us for?

:D:D I'm SO Excited, I thought I'd let you know

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From the other thread... if you tell them you are planning on keeping the cat indoors, they might not let you have a kitten and might instead give you an adult cat that is already an indoor cat. This is what happened with my in-laws. In fact, the first place they went to wouldn't give them a cat because they wouldn't be letting it outside.

Also, the old man who came to visit us refused an old lady a cat because she was getting it after he husband died, and he thought that was selfish! And he refused a man who said he fished, because that showed he was cruel to animals!

But if this lot don't let you have a cat, you can try other places, or you can have a look at adds in the pet stores and vets, because there are always people looking to give kittens away.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wouldn't it be easier to get a kitten that's been advertised in the newspapers etc? I find these adoption places are a bit too picky on who they choose. I understand that they have to be careful, but if they don't give you a kitten because you want an indoor cat then that's a bit silly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It'll depend on what they say tomorrow evening. We need an indoor cat, because we live on a busy-ish road.
    My mum says with kittens, you can't tell what their personality is when you get them, like you can with dogs ( I dont like dogs though)

What other things will we be assessed for?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    I get the impression that the cat protection league rules vary greatly from area to area.

I don't live on a main road, in fact theres little traffic on our road, but there is one about 100 yards away. When they came for my inspection as soon as she came in the house I was told my home wasn't suitable becuase of the main road.

I wasn't after a house cat, but when I asked they said it wasn't an idea they would entertain unless it was an elderly cat or one with FIV. Having just lost my 19 year old cat being told my home wasn't suitable really upset me.

I know CPL only had the welfare of their animals at heart but of the dozen or more cats on my block, in the 12 years I have lived here, not one has ever been killed on that main road, they tend to stick to their own block if anything. But based on their criteria, most of Preston would be unable to get a cat from them.

The RSPCA and a friends cats rescue place would have both homed with me, though in the end I got Macey through somone my OH met at work. If CPL turn you down there will be other rescue centres you can try, some plces don't mind you keeping cats as house cats. Go and visit them and have a look at the cats on offer.

As cute as kittens are, when I visit my friends place it is always the older ones I want to bring home, because you can see their personalalities and it is very easy to fall in love with a fully grown cat who seems to be begging you to pick them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ooh, Thanks for that :)

I hope I can choose a name, I'm thinking either
    Alfie
    Casper
    Sammy

at the moment, but if it just suits a different name, thats good too :)
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sulriss wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be easier to get a kitten that's been advertised in the newspapers etc? I find these adoption places are a bit too picky on who they choose. I understand that they have to be careful, but if they don't give you a kitten because you want an indoor cat then that's a bit silly.

Tell me about it, before I got my cat, I went to the cats protection and they would not allow me because I live by what they call a main road. We get a car up here now and again, but only because people live up here.
    I got a kitten from someone who knows my next door neighbour and she is now 9 years old, the cat that is.
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    Some CPL people are fine, I've had cats from them over the years, but there are other rescue people too. Don't let them foist any old cat off on you though, you need to visit the cat, and try and make friends with it.I'd suggest a young adult as a 1st cat, unless you like scooping poop. Been there recently..... he's fine now, at 1 he's 100% reliable. The upside of a kitten is the trust the animal has with you, you are it's mum. My little boy will lie on his back for tummy brushing, and would sleep in bed with me, under the duvet, if I'd let him. A young adult will be a bit more independent, but shopuld still develop a good cuddling relationship, which is, I assume, what you'd like. So choose the cat that comes to you to sniff your hand, and allows you to pet it. Do not be taken in by good looks, it doesn't even extend to the skin on a cat, just the fur.
  • Options
    lightonmyfeetlightonmyfeet Posts: 1,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am adding my support for the CPL here. I adopted from them in January. I am an experienced cat owner, so perhaps my home visit was more straight forward than others. The 2 women who visited me were friendly and had set questions to ask. They wanted to know how many lived in the house, details of other animals and children, my hours worked, whether I had a garden and if I was on a main road. My advice is to anyone thinking of going through this, try to bear in mind that CPL people see and hear alot of sad stories, and see the results of when people take on pets without thinking it through. If they come over as a bit aloof or a bit precious (and yes some of them can be, I agree), it is because they want to be sure that they are giving the right cat to the right home.

Home visits should be beneficial to the prospective owner, give you a chance to ask questions and think of how your lifestyle will change with a cat. I know some CPL staff can put people off, but most are friendly and all have the interests of the cats at heart.

Good luck to the OP and anyone else wanting to give a cat a home.
  • Options
    CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    Bethaneeny wrote: »
    I've wanted a cat my entire life, but my dad doesnt like them
    Him and mum ( idk how happy he is about it) have got this woman from the cat adoption place coming round tomorrow, to assess us, and then I might be getting one, for my 16th birthday

What sort of things will she be assessing us for?

:D:D I'm SO Excited, I thought I'd let you know

Things like a safe enclosed garden, not too close to a busy road, other pets, e.g. if you had a dog, would it get on with a new cat, whether you can afford the vet / food bills.

Of course, your parents may have taken this route to have an independent person tell you that it is not advisable and take the heat off them!:D

Anyway I hope all goes well and it is ok for you to have one.
  • Options
    iluvjohnsargiluvjohnsarg Posts: 1,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You'll be assessed for main road, outdoor space (if you want an outdoor cat), other pets, young children, time at home/away, and your general attitude.

Hope that helps.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doesn't look like its going to be happening, :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Probably a good thing, it's not fair to home a cat to somebody who doesn't like cats. You don't know what he'd do to the cat when nobody was looking if it irritated him or got in his way.

Sorry, Bethaneeny, but best to wait till you've got your own place and can give a cat all the love it deserves.
  • Options
    rosemaryrosemary Posts: 11,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Aww, I know thats a bit dissapointing for you, but you have to think of the cat, you wouldnt want to get one and it be unhappy would you?

My cousin always wanted cats, but my aunt and uncle wouldn't let her, as they lived on a main road, but now she lives in her own house, she has two gorgeous cats, that belong only to her and that she really enjoys as she waited so long to get them :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, it might be happening again

Bascially, the woman put my mum off, by saying things like "It'll riun EVERYTHING" and "Your house is too small", but yet, I know people with MUCH smaller houses, who have 2 cats!

But, mums friend has one that she would like to re-home (She has 3, and thinks she'd find it easier looking after 2), and the one in question has NEVER scratched anything, and she lvies on a main road, and apparently the cat isnt keen on going out anyway. We're going round later to see them
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, it might be happening again

Bascially, the woman put my mum off, by saying things like "It'll riun EVERYTHING" and "Your house is too small", but yet, I know people with MUCH smaller houses, who have 2 cats!

But, mums friend has one that she would like to re-home (She has 3, and thinks she'd find it easier looking after 2), and the one in question has NEVER scratched anything, and she lvies on a main road, and apparently the cat isnt keen on going out anyway. We're going round later to see them

A Cat that has never scratched anything?? :eek: I didn't think there was such a thing? :D

Hope it goes OK but remember the earlier points made, cats need a lot of time, attention and stimulation....
  • Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is anyone else feeling a bit concerned about this thread, or is it just me? Can't put my finger on it, but something's disturbing me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    susie-4964 wrote: »
    Is anyone else feeling a bit concerned about this thread, or is it just me? Can't put my finger on it, but something's disturbing me.

I am concerned that a poor cat is going to go into a home where there are people who don't like cats, and others that seem to have no idea of cat behaviour or requirements.

Please OP, for the cat's sake, don't get one!
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chessie wrote: »
    I am concerned that a poor cat is going to go into a home where there are people who don't like cats, and others that seem to have no idea of cat behaviour or requirements.

Please OP, for the cat's sake, don't get one!

I have to agree.

Also, the cat may not have scratched anything in its current home, but it may be spooked in a new home and turn into a terror.

Why not wait a few years and get one when you get your own place?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When did I say we have no idea about cat requirements or behaviour?

The only reason my dad is unsure about cats, was that his dad had a cat that was very unpredictable. One minutre, she'd be sat on your knee purring, the next, growling and running away, and then come back to be stoked 2 minutes later.

Can I ask what you guys are concerned about?
  • Options
    CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    A Cat that has never scratched anything?? :eek: I didn't think there was such a thing? :D

Hope it goes OK but remember the earlier points made, cats need a lot of time, attention and stimulation....

...and a scratch post:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When did I say we have no idea about cat requirements or behaviour?

The only reason my dad is unsure about cats, was that his dad had a cat that was very unpredictable. One minutre, she'd be sat on your knee purring, the next, growling and running away, and then come back to be stoked 2 minutes later.

Can I ask what you guys are concerned about?

But that's the whole point (and the reason I think posters are "concerned") cat's are not predictable and cannot *really* be trained!!

For example last night my cat - 14 months old - was one minute snuggled up with me and the next she was hanging off the blinds trying to "catch" a fly. It's what they do OP :o

Ever heard the term "mad half hour" or "electrical storm" - it's where cat's run around like looney's for no apparant reason. My girl does this almost daily :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    I have to sgree, I think you would be better waiting untill you have your own place. You will be constantly on pins incase your cat ruins any of your parents things (and believe me they do, not on purpose but its the nature of the kitty!!) It wouldnt be fair on you or the cat as you couldnt enjoy him/her properly for worrying that they may get a bot excited and climb the curtains or play over zealously and give a little nip or scratch to your Dad who is already weary of cats.
    I waited untill I moved out of my folks and had my own place before I got my first kitty and I could enjoy him properly knowing that if anything was messed up then it was stuff, my problem. You will also form a good bond with a kitty who is all yours, in your own space. I know it seems a while off but it will be worth the wait and better than annoying your parents!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can I jsut say, it was my parents idea to get a cat
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can I jsut say, it was my parents idea to get a cat

People are not having a go at you Beth - just trying to point out that having a cat is a lot of hard work and you need to be prepared for that.

Say you get an indoor cat, are you happy to scoop out pooh on a daily basis and clean the tray 2/3 a week for the next 20 years?? :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If your getting your cat from an adoption centre for cats that have been abused/mistreated, I think it will be very lucky to got to a home/owner who seems they will be so loving towards it.:)

And I'm sure it will win your dad around when it's in a "I want fuss" mode. ;)

I'm in the same(ish) boat. Myself and my partner both want a cat. We both have left cats with our parents when we moved out. Unfortunately, we live in a 2 bed flat with no garden so are waiting out until we get a house. :(