12345679»

Comments

• anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just love the Daily Express. Better than any science fiction:D
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    I wish it would hurry up and start, I've got logs coming out of my ears now.
  • Terry NTerry N Posts: 5,262
    Forum Member
    There's been no rain or wind all week. This could be the start of a massive drought with crops failing every year from now on.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,515
    Forum Member
    So how well would you say this prediction worked out?

I think it worked out very well in fact. It was the third coldest Winter on record and is still snowing in some places, so 100 days of snow is possible in some places. Impressive forecast, the Express had a lot of guts to publish it, well done to them.

Hang on a sec... this was a forecast for the US and Canada, right?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So how well would you say this prediction worked out?

Badly. We have hardly had any frost and a smattering of snow one day that didn't last.
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    Badly. We have hardly had any frost and a smattering of snow one day that didn't last.

My ASDA had a huge pile of snow shovels by the entrance and de-icer by the bucketfull. Safe to say they didn't sell many, and they only swapped them with fence stain last week. So, now what do the Express have in store for us now we have survived this truly awful snowy winter?...
  • riceutenriceuten Posts: 5,876
    Forum Member
    Tourista wrote: »
    My ASDA had a huge pile of snow shovels by the entrance and de-icer by the bucketfull. Safe to say they didn't sell many, and they only swapped them with fence stain last week. So, now what do the Express have in store for us now we have survived this truly awful snowy winter?...
    HOTTEST SUMMER EVER (....kills Princess Di and causes MASSIVE influx of asylum seekers)
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the face of it pretty wide of the mark but..we have had a very wet winter. I wonder if meteorologically we could say that they only got the temperature wrong? If they'd said 100 days of rain we might be laughing on the other side of our faces now :)
  • HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »
    On the face of it pretty wide of the mark but..we have had a very wet winter. I wonder if meteorologically we could say that they only got the temperature wrong? If they'd said 100 days of rain we might be laughing on the other side of our faces now :)

But they didn't did they/ Why are people so keen on retrofitting?
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But they didn't did they/ Why are people so keen on retrofitting?
    I'm not trying to retrofit. They got it wrong like they always do. I'm just pointing out that it was an unusual winter so perhaps they did actually do a bit of research before printing the headline.
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »

no

because to get temperatures low enough for snow we need an airscource that isnt very moisture laden. the coldest air is from the north - east quadrant, but thats one of the driest especially if its off the east.

true we do get alot of snow from that quadrant, but thats usually from convective showers as the cold air crosses the reletively warm north sea. 100 days of winds from that area is highly unlikely. we had a strong jetstream off the atlantic keeping things never too cold, what they got wrong fundamentally was this, the track and strength of the jet.