Options

Gerry Conlon dies aged 60

Comments

• Options
    Cheetah666Cheetah666 Posts: 16,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wacky joe wrote: »
    I will retire gracefully from this forum.
    All getting a bit sectarian.
    No time for that noncence.
    Enjoy ur Irishness & i will enjoy my Britishness hopefully in continued peace on our shared island.
    No doubt it will all get a bit mad leading ip to the 12th again but heres hoping it wont.

Go on home, soldier boy.

And on that note, let's all stand for the national anthem...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfgnVMFtd7E
  • Options
    irishfeenirishfeen Posts: 10,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wacky joe wrote: »
    I will retire gracefully from this forum.
    All getting a bit sectarian.
    No time for that noncence.
    Enjoy ur Irishness & i will enjoy my Britishness hopefully in continued peace on our shared island.
    No doubt it will all get a bit mad leading ip to the 12th again but heres hoping it wont.
    To be brutally honest mate it was yourself that started it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Centaurion wrote: »
    Militant Republicanism is what won the Irish freedom from the bloody yolk of British Imperialism .

Sorry, I've been reading far too many Irshfeen posts, his passion for all things Republican is strangely arousing, I want to march into the Four Courts again.
    Ha ha ha "strangely arousing" - i'm actually not that republican at all, similar to the vast majority of Irish people perhaps.
  • Options
    Wolfman13Wolfman13 Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    irishfeen wrote: »
    To be brutally honest mate it was yourself that started it.

That's true however Cheetah666 is just as bad as him.
  • Options
    Black HughBlack Hugh Posts: 1,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ha ha ha "strangely arousing" - i'm actually not that republican at all, similar to the vast majority of Irish people perhaps.

"Being Irish means we're guilty, so we're guilty one and all" tra la la

Which almost brings the thread back on topic:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wolfman13 wrote: »
    That's true however Cheetah666 is just as bad as him.

No, I'm not. I just stood up to him.
  • Options
    Louise32Louise32 Posts: 6,784
    Forum Member
    Wacky Joe,

Please feel free to post if you want! Don't be forced out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheetah666 wrote: »
    No, I'm not. I just stood up to him.

There's standing up to someone and there's stooping to their level. Sorry but you did the latter. :(
  • Options
    Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ha where will it rise to? What ever you lot do in the 6 counties leave Donegal with us - absolutely fantastic women with beautiful accents.
    To freedom and the way it used to be.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sun Tzu. wrote: »

How do you hope to achieve this return to the way it used to be?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wolfman13 wrote: »
    There's standing up to someone and there's stooping to their level. Sorry but you did the latter. :(

I'm afraid I've seen more than enough of his ilk in real life.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Black Hugh wrote: »
    How do you hope to achieve this return to the way it used to be?
    To support the right to workable government and not this nonsense we currently have.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To support the right to workable government and not this nonsense we currently have.

I'm not sure that 'workable government' is a right.

The system we have isn't perfect but if it prevents more Loughanislands and La Mons then it's good enough.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Black Hugh wrote: »
    I'm not sure that 'workable government' is a right.

The system we have isn't perfect but if it prevents more Loughanislands and La Mons then it's good enough.
    Rubbish, its a free hit for politicians, who aren't held accountable and no official opposition. Terrible governing, needs abolished.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rubbish, its a free hit for politicians, who aren't held accountable and no official opposition. Terrible governing, needs abolished.

Replaced with what though.

As much as you may want a return to a Unionist state its simply not going to happen. So what would you propose?
  • Options
    wacky joewacky joe Posts: 1,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Louise32 wrote: »
    Wacky Joe,

Please feel free to post if you want! Don't be forced out.

Thanks Louise.
    Wonderful to see The Queen & Duke of Edinburgh are on a three day visit to NI.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The way it used to be, when? What year do you want to back to?
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing was "always" called one thing or another, look Eurostar you can call it what you want but the vast vast majority of Irish people including successive Irish governments choose to say Britain and Ireland or these islands.

I take exception to you saying we are unsure of of irishness but I take it you didn't mean it that way.

I've certainly heard the arguments over the years surrounding the term "British Isles" irishfeen and I'm aware there is some controversy over it ie. Irish people being of the opinion that anyone who uses it is suggesting that Britain has jurisdiction over Ireland in some way.

But it is a geographical term referring to the landmass of the two islands. If Scotland leaves the UK in September and becomes a republic, do people think they will no longer be a part of the 'British Isles'? That certainly would be confusing in the extreme seeing as it's as much a part of the island of Britain as England and Wales.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    I've certainly heard the arguments over the years surrounding the term "British Isles" irishfeen and I'm aware there is some controversy over it ie. Irish people being of the opinion that anyone who uses it is suggesting that Britain has jurisdiction over Ireland in some way.

But it is a geographical term referring to the landmass of the two islands. If Scotland leaves the UK in September and becomes a republic, do people think they will no longer be a part of the 'British Isles'? That certainly would be confusing in the extreme seeing as it's as much a part of the island of Britain as England and Wales.
    Honestly I would like to think this part of N/W Europe would be referred to as the UK, Ireland and Scotland if the Scots do vote for it - I just don't think the term should be used at all when describing a group of independent countries.
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Honestly I would like to think this part of N/W Europe would be referred to as the UK, Ireland and Scotland if the Scots do vote for it - I just don't think the term should be used at all when describing a group of independent countries.

That's the nub of it though, it's meant to be a geographical term only and not a political one ie. if the UK broke up tomorrow and became four independent republics, the term 'British Isles' would still be used to describe the landmass of the four countries, even though the nationality of being 'British' would cease to exist.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    That's the nub of it though, it's meant to be a geographical term only and not a political one ie. if the UK broke up tomorrow and became four independent republics, the term 'British Isles' would still be used to describe the landmass of the four countries, even though the nationality of being 'British' would cease to exist.
    But its only a term used in Britain - its not like its used across the world.... a geographical British term of phrase.
  • Options
    TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But its only a term used in Britain - its not like its used across the world.... a geographical British term of phrase.

How about a compromise where we call them what we want and you call them what you want. For crying out loud, there are bigger problems in the world that the name given to a group of islands.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TerraCanis wrote: »
    How about a compromise where we call them what we want and you call them what you want. For crying out loud, there are bigger problems in the world that the name given to a group of islands.
    No problem just leave our country out of it - it's nothing to do with anyone in Britain :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't there something about it being changed to IONA (Islands of the North Atlantic)?
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Do you not see a disconnect here?

You object to a British term, as used by British people.
    Yet you have shown time and time and time again that do not seem to imagine that a Northern Ireland Unionist should object to you telling them that they are Irish.

Think how wrong headed you think the term "The British Isles" is.
    That's the same reaction that a Northern Ireland Unionist has when he gets told he's Irish.

If you want to call the people who say "British Isles" wrong, then you have to accept that you are wrong in exactly the same way when you start with your "Arra sure we're all Irish now, lads" posts.

Call these Islands what you like, but at least afford other people the same privilege when it comes to terms which annoy them.