Options

Colchester Police Hunt 'Brutal' Murderer

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 392
    Forum Member
    The media really do lack imagination with their titles don't they.

Every murder or violent crime is 'brutal' or 'savage' etc

Just once i'd like to see a headline describing a murder as whimsical or something for a change.
  • Options
    Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And of course that is something they will be doing, but it is not the most important aspect of the case on a forum, the murder is.
    You originally said catching the murderer was the important thing, the motive would be something for the court, now you're moving the goalpost a bit to retroactively make it about the forum :D
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The police didn't say it was a race crime at all, they said they are investigating whether it was. Obvously if it turns out the same person did both it won't be.
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tony Tiger wrote: »
    You originally said catching the murderer was the important thing, the motive would be something for the court, now you're moving the goalpost a bit to retroactively make it about the forum :D

It will be for the court when it comes to sentencing. For the Police, all options are open. The thread was discussing whether or not this, or other murders should be classed as a hate crime, which is not the most important aspect of what happened, the murder is.
  • Options
    The MartianThe Martian Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe they have caught the lunatic!
    Police investigating the brutal murder of a Muslim PhD student are probing an attempted assault on a female jogger that was carried out less than a mile from the attack last night.

Nahid Almanea, 31, was stabbed 16 times in a “frenzied” attack in Colchester, Essex, on Tuesday. It was the second fatal knife attack in the town within three months.

Detectives subsequently warned members of the public to avoid going out alone and have now arrested a 19-year-old man after a failed attack on a jogger near the murder scene.

Essex Police confirmed that a woman in her 30s complained of being “lunged at” by an unidentified man while running on a footpath near Peache Road at around 10pm on Thursday.

“A woman reported that while she was jogging yesterday evening a man approached her and lunged at her. She was able to push him away and made her way home,” a spokeswoman for the force said.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/10914693/Police-investigate-failed-attack-a-mile-from-Muslim-students-murder-scene.html
  • Options
    lem ramsaylem ramsay Posts: 1,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That person was released, so it wasn't him.

Well I live in Colchester not far from the park where the man was killed in March (been in the park lots of times) and now wouldn't think of walking through it by myself even in daylight. I wonder why if the park is open at night as well (didn't know that), they turn off all the lights.
    The man was last seen at a pub that's located just before North Hill, which is quite steep, so some people go though the park (in order to get on the High Street and reach the town centre) and avoid walking up the hill. You can cross the road from the pub and get on a path that goes through the park in fact, which is something I did a few times myself.
    I thought maybe it's what he did, since I think he lived in the town centre.

As for the woman, I don't think it was a hate crime... I've been living here for almost 3 years now and never really heard of racial tensions, but you never know.
    The woman must have been screaming like crazy, yet nobody thought of going to check what was happening outside? I have personally never been on the Salary Brook Trail, but it would look like there are houses all along it, so it's strange.

Since the two murders and the attack on the jogger happened more or less in the same area (not my area), I'd say it's somebody living in that area obviously.
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dragonzord wrote: »
    Any murder should be classed as a hate crime be the victim muslim, black, Asian ,white immigrant or British white.
    As killing is wrong no matter what colour race or religion .
    I think you've misunderstood why hate crimes are classified as such.
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dragonzord wrote: »

Colchester Police Hunt 'Brutal' Murderer

Police think the killing of nahid is a race crime
    But what about the killing of James Attfield why is that not classed as a race crime?
    The majority of people in Colchester are white, so James Attfield's murder could only be considered a race crime if there was evidence to suggest his murderer was a member of an ethnic minority. However, seeing as James suffered severe brain damage in an accident, it is quite possible he was the victim of a hate crime.

All we know at the moment is that both murder victims had a characteristic that could potentially make them targets for attacks by bigots. In my experience, people with extremist views often despise the disabled. So, if the two crimes are connected, it's far too early to discount a racial motive for the murder of Nahid Almanea.

Apologies for my "Armchair Profiler" speculation.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lem ramsay wrote: »
    As for the woman, I don't think it was a hate crime... I've been living here for almost 3 years now and never really heard of racial tensions, but you never know.

Sure, there were spots of racial tension, but no different from other towns and cities. Frankly, there was a lot more tension between some locals and 'squaddies', the lads from the barracks.

I haven't visited Colchester for at least ten years now, though. Colchester today is probably different from Colchester I knew during the 1980s.
  • Options
    ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    My condolences go out to her family, they must be devastated.

I hope the police catch the killer, and lock him up for a very long time.

At the moment, I dont think the police have said its a race crime. However it is one possibility.
  • Options
    MagicCoppeliaMagicCoppelia Posts: 21,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am surprised they haven't released a photograph of the poor victim yet.
  • Options
    lem ramsaylem ramsay Posts: 1,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    Sure, there were spots of racial tension, but no different from other towns and cities. Frankly, there was a lot more tension between some locals and 'squaddies', the lads from the barracks.

I haven't visited Colchester for at least ten years now, though. Colchester today is probably different from Colchester I knew during the 1980s.

Well, I don't know the town that well (I am not British after all and have only lived here for around 3 years), but what I meant is that I didn't get the impression there was rampant hatred towards Muslims or ethnic minorities.

I read that James Attfield had withdrawn some money on his last day and he had left behind most of his drink at the pub... maybe he didn't finish his pint because he was anxious? Maybe he was going to see someone about something having to do with money that led to his murder? Just a thought I had watching the reconstruction of his murder on Crimewatch.
    He was found around 6am and he was still alive, but he had been stabbed 102 times, so I think he must have been attacked close to that time... can a person with that many wounds survive for hours otherwise? That leaves the question... what did he do all night? Did he go straight into the park from the pub? Knowing you can get into the park just crossing the road from the pub, that seems likely to me.

Also, they are looking for this man, regarding Nahid's murder, wearing a distinctive coat, but it was quite hot and humid here, and it was almost 11am, so I can't understand why this man was wearing a coat/jacket.