Mass immigration has driven down the wages of the poor and put pressure on services

Comments

• Nick1966Nick1966 Posts: 15,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm getting a bit fed up of countries that demanded independence from the British empire and then complain we no longer give them special treatment.

Comments like that are not going to go down well in some sectors in Northern Ireland.
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Driving down wages is part of this governments plan, so we can compete with china and india and other places were workers wages are so low. So it is part of the government's economic plan for the uk, for hard working people to be worse off but this is good as we can then compete with china and india and other places were workers wages are so low.
  • dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    I suppose the government could use the money they save from benefits to give companies lower rates of tax. Not that many of these mega corporations getting rich on cheap migrant labour seem to pay an awful lot in the UK anyway.

If I buy a cup of coffee how much of my money goes to the east European serving me it, how much goes to the government and how much goes to shareholders in another country. If a rival sets up a shop that serves the same quality product, pays their workers more and pays their tax's I would probably buy it from them instead. Shops that play ball could get the tax breaks as compensation.

Maybe this is a case of us not wanting to go back to the 1970's, where employers had no choice but to use British labour, paid more wages under union pressure and produced an inferior service to the consumer.

Which benefits do you want to abolish? You can't just abolish all of them, refusing to give profoundly disabled people an income would be inhumane. Would you abolish State Retirement Pension? Never gonna happen. Get sick, tough luck you're not getting a Statutory Sick Pay? If when you find something to get rid of you'll probably find it's not enough to make a difference.
  • MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    Driving down wages is part of this governments plan, so we can compete with china and india and other places were workers wages are so low. So it is part of the government's economic plan for the uk, for hard working people to be worse off but this is good as we can then compete with china and india and other places were workers wages are so low.

But it was the previous Labour government that encouraged mass immigration so as to keep wages down - what was their motive?
    Forum Member
    Majlis wrote: »
    But it was the previous Labour government that encouraged mass immigration so as to keep wages down - what was their motive?

That doesn't make sense, on the one hand they encouraged mass immigration to keep wages down, on the other hand they introduced a national minimum wage to raise wages. 2 policy positions that contradict each other.
  • BlairdennonBlairdennon Posts: 14,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dosanjh1 wrote: »
    That doesn't make sense, on the one hand they encouraged mass immigration to keep wages down, on the other hand they introduced a national minimum wage to raise wages. 2 policy positions that contradict each other.

No they introduced the NMW so that there would be no slave labour wages when free EU movement was introduced. The NMW did not raise wages it stopped wages descending into the basement for all the low skilled jobs that would be open to the EU and to much of the world.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I never claimed that Labour had any coherent policies :)
  • MadamfluffMadamfluff Posts: 3,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you eat food? If you eat food theirs a good chance an immigrant was employed somewhere along the process to get that food to you at a direct financial saving to yourself.

If you drive a car the chances are the service station is staffed by an immigrant keeping the cost of your petrol down.

If you work there's a good chance an immigrant is used to clean your office / workplace meaning keeping costs of your employer down meaning they can pay you something.

Do you like to walk? Lots of immigrants are used as parking enforcement officers ensuring you can walk easier and safely. And providing a cheaper public service keeping your taxes down.

There are so many ways that you personally have benefited from immigration.

Actually not so much here on the Island for instance today on a personal level I went into 2 supermarkets, and a local sweet shop café and Greengrocers and boarded 2 buses and a taxi.

For work I dealt with a team of builders, refuse collectors and a window cleaner, in all cases I was served and dealt with by British people not immigrants.

We have a few Polish shops but one that opened in Ryde high street only lasted 3 weeks before it closed - no-one went in there.

Yes its possible that the food I eat was processed by immigrants (if I only eat pre packaged food from the supermarket) but then I buy Island veggies, eggs and meat and know the farms where they come from and they don't employ immigrant workers.

We have Asian shop owners, but they employ local British people. In fact I was told today by a couple of tourists how pleased they were that all the staff in their hotel were British as they could understand them So I can say I am not personally benefitting from immigration at all at least not on a day to day basis
  • andyknandykn Posts: 66,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...The NMW did not raise wages...

Simply not true.
  • BlairdennonBlairdennon Posts: 14,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    andykn wrote: »
    Simply not true.

Depends on your time scale.
  • andyknandykn Posts: 66,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depends on your time scale.

Not really.
  • MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    Majlis wrote: »
    I never claimed that Labour had any coherent policies :)

No you just made up incoherent reasons for them :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mesostim wrote: »
    No you just made up incoherent reasons for them :)

what dont you undertsand about increased competition for jobs leadings to lower wages? :confused:
  • MagicCoppeliaMagicCoppelia Posts: 21,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your choice - what kind of work do your early rise friends do?

Some are friends and some are family. A couple are self employed, the rest not. None are in what you would class as low paid work.

You still haven't explained your magical skill of knowing on sight who was born here and who was not. I sincerely hope it has nothing to do with skin colour.:(
  • mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    The NMW was meant to be a starting point for unskilled workers- Sadly it quickly turned into a starting point for semi skilled or experienced workers too,often the employer will offer an extra 20p an hour over the NMW and expect skilled work for it and act as though they are offering you a fortune.
    Forum Member
    Some are friends and some are family. A couple are self employed, the rest not. None are in what you would class as low paid work.

You still haven't explained your magical skill of knowing on sight who was born here and who was not. I sincerely hope it has nothing to do with skin colour.:(

Accents, clothes, language are generally good guides.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some people fell for labour propaganda that immigration is good for you. Its clear that it isnt.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Madamfluff wrote: »
    Actually not so much here on the Island for instance today on a personal level I went into 2 supermarkets, and a local sweet shop café and Greengrocers and boarded 2 buses and a taxi.

For work I dealt with a team of builders, refuse collectors and a window cleaner, in all cases I was served and dealt with by British people not immigrants.

We have a few Polish shops but one that opened in Ryde high street only lasted 3 weeks before it closed - no-one went in there.

Yes its possible that the food I eat was processed by immigrants (if I only eat pre packaged food from the supermarket) but then I buy Island veggies, eggs and meat and know the farms where they come from and they don't employ immigrant workers.

We have Asian shop owners, but they employ local British people. In fact I was told today by a couple of tourists how pleased they were that all the staff in their hotel were British as they could understand them So I can say I am not personally benefitting from immigration at all at least not on a day to day basis

Well you lucky in Vectis. It aint like that on the mainland.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well you lucky in Vectis. It aint like that on the mainland.

One of the reasons we moved here
    Forum Member
    One of the reasons we moved here

Are you unable to live alongside people who aren't British?
  • HowardessexHowardessex Posts: 2,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm getting a bit fed up of countries that demanded independence from the British empire and then complain we no longer give them special treatment.

They want it all their way, of course .that is how it works in soft touch Britain . They don't get it all their own way in Australia , one of the few countries that applies common sense to immigration .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting piece:

Hey UKIP it’s simple Maths!

Dear UKIP
    When you tell me that the EU has caused uncontrolled mass migration into this county I really should have checked the figures earlier.
    This is the graph used to persuade the public that uncontrolled migration is a problem

But this shows all migration into the UK not just EU. It includes migration which is very much controlled by a system of visas.

In table form for those who like figures

http://aliberallife.wordpress.com/2014/06/26/hey-ukip-its-simple-maths/

And for those who like to “Keep It Simple”
    The number of people added to the UK through uncontrolled migration since 1997 is
    Minus 258000 –
    So exactly how is minus 258000 mass uncontrolled migration, It’s not unrestricted travel by EU citizens but old fashioned migration from the Commonwealth that makes up the bulk of people coming into this country and leaving the EU will not change that. Personally I have very few problems with any migration but stop making out our country has been swamped by the EU it has not.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you unable to live alongside people who aren't British?

Not at all I am London born and well used to people of all cultures and nationalities wouldn't have lived there over 50 years If I had a problem
    Forum Member
    Not at all I am London born and well used to people of all cultures and nationalities wouldn't have lived there over 50 years If I had a problem

That's good to hear.
  • mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    WindWalker wrote: »
    Interesting piece:

Hey UKIP it’s simple Maths!

Dear UKIP
    When you tell me that the EU has caused uncontrolled mass migration into this county I really should have checked the figures earlier.
    This is the graph used to persuade the public that uncontrolled migration is a problem

But this shows all migration into the UK not just EU. It includes migration which is very much controlled by a system of visas.

In table form for those who like figures

http://aliberallife.wordpress.com/2014/06/26/hey-ukip-its-simple-maths/

And for those who like to “Keep It Simple”
    The number of people added to the UK through uncontrolled migration since 1997 is
    Minus 258000 –
    So exactly how is minus 258000 mass uncontrolled migration, It’s not unrestricted travel by EU citizens but old fashioned migration from the Commonwealth that makes up the bulk of people coming into this country and leaving the EU will not change that. Personally I have very few problems with any migration but stop making out our country has been swamped by the EU it has not.

Who cares where they are coming from,the fact is that there are far too many coming and migration from the EU is not controlled in any way. ie "uncontrolled"

It amazes me that some people will demonize the UKIP, whilst going out of their way to support the insanity of an extra 400 million Europeans having the rights to access Britain for their own benefit,that 99% of the time does not benefit the British people in any way whatsoever.