Options

"Shirley" - BBC2 biopic on Shirley Bassey coming soon.

Comments

• Options
    Tangledweb7Tangledweb7 Posts: 3,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just read the wikipeadia page on Shirley Bassey who ever wrote it needs to check there spelling. Who is Clidd Richards?:confused::D
  • Options
    cherbrinkleyfancherbrinkleyfan Posts: 1,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fizzler333 wrote: »
    I saw her giving pure hell to a tearful Hotel receptionist once, she is not very nice at all....... I bet they skip over this side of her personality.... Well, at least while she is still alive.

I don't for one second doubt you. However as an "icon" I do like her. Knowing her, maybe that's different.

My mum said that she had a friend who worked as a chef in a hotel years back, and she wanted her dinner at her hotel room at dead on 6pm. Apparently he got there at something like 6.03pm and she tipped the whole lot over the floor and in his face!

Like I say, who knows if that is actually true but it wouldn't surprise me from our shirl!
  • Options
    fizzler333fizzler333 Posts: 2,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cher
    I would believe your Mum's friend 100%.... I have heard she is a right cow from people who have met her, she talks to waiting staff like they are scum and has diva tantrums if any tiny thing is not perfect.
    When I saw her in the Hotel I didn't realise who she was at first and I wondered why they were not flinging the old bag out as anyone else behaving like a pig as she was would certainly have been chucked out on their backsides.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fizzler333 wrote: »
    Cher
    I would believe your Mum's friend 100%.... I have heard she is a right cow from people who have met her, she talks to waiting staff like they are scum and has diva tantrums if any tiny thing is not perfect.
    When I saw her in the Hotel I didn't realise who she was at first and I wondered why they were not flinging the old bag out as anyone else behaving like a pig as she was would certainly have been chucked out on their backsides.

I agree and I also hate to believe that too :( But it most probably all is true. I did read (or see on a documentry years ago) that as soon as she "found fame" she was never keen to go back home, it sounds to me like she isn't proud of her roots-which is probably why we know so little about her young years (from birth to her 20s onwards).

I know she admits full-well that she wasn't a good mother and it seems the only issues she has is with herself. Or did. I don't know. I do like her though..but as a fan or admirer of her. A friend or someone in her presence could be very different.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of shirley's albums has re-entered the itunes top 200, wonder if it's anything to do with this? Has a trailer been shown yet?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's been confirmed that the song playing out the biopic is "This is my life".

I think I read there are 3 Shirley songs featured in the biopic. What ones do you hope make it?

I'd love to see "Alone Again (Naturally)". That's beautiful.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw a clip where she sings for some kind of theatre/producer bloke with a pianist also present.

It did look rather soapy and X-Factorish. Since it's part of something called a "Mixed Race season" I have some doubt's that the true person will be revealed. Seems like more BBC PC OMG!

I'm really looking forward to the BBC biopic on Bernard Manning! (or did I dream that one?)
  • Options
    Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,254
    Forum Member
    Can't stand Shirley Bassey for some unknown reason, it's really rather odd,

Don't have a problem with dramas with dislikeable characters, but she's too much, I'll give this the swerve.
    Looks like she's short of fans on here too, wrong age group?

Shirley is a true star and has been going since the early 50's. She also has an amazing voice, and is thankfully not a catawaller like so many of todays so called 'stars'. Leona Lewis is the first that springs to mind! :eek:
  • Options
    duncannduncann Posts: 11,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am looking forward to this. Shirley Bassey is the most phenomenal live performer, her recordings give no indication of how exciting yet intimate her stage persona is. She had the most extraordinary life when she was young, at one point she was threatened in a hotel room by an ex who pulled a gun on her and was only stopped by the police bursting in. I wonder if that will be in the drama?

I have met SB several times (not just in passing) and didn't see any evidence of her supposed diva qualities. I found her private persona to be almost the opposite of her stage one, not showy or dramatic, just pleasant and charming. It's possible that she's mellowed over the years or maybe she just doesn't suffer fools gladly. She's a total perfectionist and expects everyone else to be, she makes that clear.

This is a season about mixed race. My impression of SB is that she's a driven personality, she does not look back, she is still running away from her very poor start in life and her (at that time unusual for UK) mixed race background. She clearly identifies as white, she did not remember her father as he left when she was too young. She's fiercely proud of her roots but she has no intention of ever going back (I mean psychologically, not literally, the area she grew up in has been completely redeveloped). I expect the drama will sihine a light on this.

I assume they did not ask for her blessing or co-operation to make the drama, but maybe they did. I would imagine she's not terribly thrilled with the idea of it, for all her fame she's quite private and clams up if you ask her much about her personal life.

The drama should be very interesting, it's had excellent reviews and is well cast. Shirley
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duncann wrote: »
    I am looking forward to this. Shirley Bassey is the most phenomenal live performer, her recordings give no indication of how exciting yet intimate her stage persona is. She had the most extraordinary life when she was young, at one point she was threatened in a hotel room by an ex who pulled a gun on her and was only stopped by the police bursting in. I wonder if that will be in the drama?

I have met SB several times (not just in passing) and didn't see any evidence of her supposed diva qualities. I found her private persona to be almost the opposite of her stage one, not showy or dramatic, just pleasant and charming. It's possible that she's mellowed over the years or maybe she just doesn't suffer fools gladly. She's a total perfectionist and expects everyone else to be, she makes that clear.

This is a season about mixed race. My impression of SB is that she's a driven personality, she does not look back, she is still running away from her very poor start in life and her (at that time unusual for UK) mixed race background. She clearly identifies as white, she did not remember her father as he left when she was too young. She's fiercely proud of her roots but she has no intention of ever going back (I mean psychologically, not literally, the area she grew up in has been completely redeveloped). I expect the drama will sihine a light on this.

I assume they did not ask for her blessing or co-operation to make the drama, but maybe they did. I would imagine she's not terribly thrilled with the idea of it, for all her fame she's quite private and clams up if you ask her much about her personal life.

The drama should be very interesting, it's had excellent reviews and is well cast. Shirley

Excellent post and you worded my views better than I did :) I am really looking forward to watching this tonight. I can't wait!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ruth's interview on This Morning was great. The clip of her as Shirley being a diva was fantastic. Tonight awaits!
  • Options
    duncannduncann Posts: 11,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Excellent post and you worded my views better than I did :) I am really looking forward to watching this tonight. I can't wait!

That's very kind of you. I shall be back here later on or tomorrow to see what we all think!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't wait duncann :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bump as this is coming on soon, excited! :D
  • Options
    Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    God, her mother comes across as very hard-hearted re: leaving her two earlier children behind. :eek:

But I suppose there was little choice for single women in those days...
  • Options
    mountymounty Posts: 19,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finding it very disjointed, and the writers seem to presume the viewer already knows a fair bit about this Bassey woman. All I knew is she sang on a James Bond film.
  • Options
    LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blimey, this is going like the clappers -- they're whizzing through it a fair bit too quickly for my liking. It would have suited a 90min slot better to contain more detail.

But I've loved Ruth Negga ever since Misfits and I think this is a pretty decent portrayal. She has such beautiful bone structure, too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    It seems like a longer film that has been (badly) edited to squish into an hour
  • Options
    tigragirltigragirl Posts: 13,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    not really enjoying this - I was really looking forward to it too. Its jumping all over the place and is full of people shouting. As a lassie from Barry a short distance of 10 miles from Splott - the accent in this drama is terrible - nothing like the accent around there.

really disappointed
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not the most sympathetic portrayal - what a selfish beast she was.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't watch all of it, but Ruth Negga is blimmin gorgeous. Big brown eyes.
  • Options
    Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    Well, that could have done with a bit of a biog at the end to let us know what happened since.

What year was that last scene set?

Was her mum a ghost sitting in that chair in the penultimate dressing room scene?

Dis she stay married to her husband? What happened with the 'Happy Family' set up? Did she stay with her manager?

Also, no Goldfinger or Diamonds are Forever, curiously.

Her father was messing around with young girls? Did she ever know this or acknowledge this publicly?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was amazing! But I do agree about the time structure but that didn't bother me too much.
  • Options
    MorgsieMorgsie Posts: 16,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It should have been 1hour and 30 mins. I thought it would end on Big Spender or Goldfinger but that was not the case.

But it was good. Gutted there was not any explanation what happened next before the credits.