Options

My poor daughter- can you get any "student benefits" (other the EMA)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What happens if her daughter can't get to a work because it isn't within a reasonable walking distance?

She could get the bus but OH WAIT- no money. And even if she got the job she'd be wasting her income to get there anyway.

What do you think people who work full-time do? They 'waste' part of their income on getting there. It's a means to an end.

How do you think students managed before the EMA? They walked/cycled/ borrowed the bus fare against their wages. Or got lifts with others.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,914
    Forum Member
    far2cool wrote: »
    I still get EMA (lucky me :) )
    and I disagree that it's a waste, my transport costs where (are huge!!!)

I have a part-time job as well though

Do people still get in Wales?
  • Options
    Nobody KnowsNobody Knows Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What do you think people who work full-time do? They 'waste' part of their income on getting there. It's a means to an end.

How do you think students managed before the EMA? They walked/cycled/ borrowed the bus fare against their wages. Or got lifts with others.

They clearly teleported... :confused:
  • Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kind of defeats the whole idea...

Everyone has to pay to get to work unless they are the lucky few that live within walking or cycling distance!
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair, having a job may have a detrimental affect on her studies.
    I was all for my son getting a job in the 6th form, as he didn't get EMA. He gave it up about 3 months before his exams to concentrate more on his studies, but it wasn't enough and he didn't get his grades.
    With hindsight, I wish I'd just given him the £30 myself and he may have got his grades.:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    If there's a post sorting office near you they generally take on xmas temps, as well as all the supermarkets, department stores etc which have already been mentioned. There's usually lots of jobs delivering catalogues etc round where we are.

Try putting a card in the local post office advertising cleaning/ironing/babysitting services.

If you see a job in the paper that looks good instead of applying via email/post try and visit the company directly (easy if it's for a shop!) and I've known people be interviewed there and then and be offered the job - employers were impressed that they'd made the effort to go in person (This works better for family-run/small businesses rather than massive chains).

Depending on how bright/confident/good with children they are they could think about tutoring (primary/ks3 age)?? I know the odd person who has done that. Similarly if they are really good at a musical instrument maybe they could teach to beginners?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't been financially supported by my parents since I was about 16, despite them still claiming child benefit and what not, I wasn't given a penny. I've never been given pocket money or money to go out with friends, I earnt it.

I did A-levels and didn't qualify for EMA, I didn't see a penny from my parents. From 15 I worked in a pub as a waitress/in the kitchen then I moved into just the kitchen until I was about 17. My sixth form employed students doing their a-levels to clean the school for county council, Monday to Friday 2 hours max, brought in £100 odd a month.

I agree its hard now a days but finding a job a couple of hours each day or at the weekends would benefit your daughter hugely. But I'm not surprised that EMA has been stopped because the kids that got it when I was at school spent it on ****, booze and nights out, they attended school for the money, not for the qualifications it would appear.
  • Options
    JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    Why do som people immediately ask if they are entitled to money from the government, rather than going out and making some money themselves?????!!!! Labours legacy and scrapping the wasteful and ill-concieved EMA was a very good move.
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Baboo Yagu wrote: »
    Exactly, did the same myself. A few hours per day after lessons and 9-3 on a Saturday, I was sat there in a stock room attaching price tags to clothes with a tagging gun and doing general duties.

It seems that some students these days are far too lazy to get off their arses and find a part-time job. They just like having everything handed to them for free.

When did you find time to revise?

I didn't have any part-time job when I was doing my Highers and I actually worked longer hours then than I do now in a full-time job. I currently work a 37-hour week. At school I did a six hour day in school, then set aside an hour's revision each night (which undoubtedly wasn't enough and did adversely affect my performance) so that's 35 hours to start with. With probably at least an hour's worth of homework every night, and often more, I was up over 40 hours. Sometimes there was homework to do at the weekend too, though mostly I kept those as relaxation time. I suppose I could have worked on Saturdays if I was desperate for money, but I was never at any time much of a spender so I didn't need it. And if I had, I'd really have had virtually no free time at all.
  • Options
    maidinscotlandmaidinscotland Posts: 5,648
    Forum Member
    tysonstorm wrote: »
    Actually there is if people go looking for them. The problem is many folks don't want to lower themselves by doing undesirable jobs or work thats beneath them.

Our workplace had a few posts available but yet it has taken us over a year to fill them. We figured there would be a rush on given the current job market but there wasn't and even when people turned up from the job centres they gave the impression that they really didn't care to be here. So the work is out there. Even fiddle/cash in hand jobs, there's always someone needing something doing.

^^^^this
  • Options
    cherbrinkleyfancherbrinkleyfan Posts: 1,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this that/ this this yeah right
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People are telling young people to get a job. I think that is a little harsh. I am working full time and studying part time. I am struggling to dedicate the time needed to my part time study because of the full time job. I would hate to think young people are not struggling to study full timr because of their part time job.

Studying is not just about attending college for 4 hours a day. It is about "studying" Going home after college and revising, learning, doing exercises. If you want to excel at college you have to put the hours in outside of it. Especially if you are a slow learner like me. Everyone learns at a different pace and some people need their free time to give to their studies.

Not everyone learns at the same time, some young people might need all their free time to learn their college stuff.
  • Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When did you find time to revise?

I didn't have any part-time job when I was doing my Highers and I actually worked longer hours then than I do now in a full-time job. I currently work a 37-hour week. At school I did a six hour day in school, then set aside an hour's revision each night (which undoubtedly wasn't enough and did adversely affect my performance) so that's 35 hours to start with. With probably at least an hour's worth of homework every night, and often more, I was up over 40 hours. Sometimes there was homework to do at the weekend too, though mostly I kept those as relaxation time. I suppose I could have worked on Saturdays if I was desperate for money, but I was never at any time much of a spender so I didn't need it. And if I had, I'd really have had virtually no free time at all.

Sorry, but many of us went to school/college before EMA and, if we needed the money ( as I did), we worked Saturdays or evenings. Never factored in the 'luxury' of relaxation time!

In the 'real world' many, many people work far longer hours often having a second job just to pay the bills.

I later manged to go back into p/t education whilst having a f/t job and having to run a household. If you want the grades, something has to be sacrificed and if it is 'relaxation time' then so be it!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone is saying "well before EMA when we were at college, we got Saturday jobs/part time etc". Yes maybe, but we're in a different place economically now. Jobs aren't that easy to get. And great for those who say there are, but my poor daughter is having a hard time in doing so. It's making her ill, she's nervous as it is. I'll continue to help her as long as i can.
  • Options
    charmingbillycharmingbilly Posts: 1,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My daughter was in similar situation, she was worrying herself into the ground about how she would manage for money. As single parent with no spare cash once the mortgage and bills are paid, I cannot afford to subsidize her.

She's one of the lucky ones though, and she's just got some part time work at a fast food restaurant - but she applied for several dozen jobs and was rejected over and over again before getting lucky.
  • Options
    ErlangErlang Posts: 6,619
    Forum Member
    There is always toilet cleaning, or peeling veg for catering supply companies, amazing how often those jobs come up, some people won't stick it, my wife did.

Also apply direct to the LEA for transport assistance my daughter did as she did her 6th form 20 miles away but still under the same LEA, and we weren't eligible for EMA.
  • Options
    glordmonkeyglordmonkey Posts: 1,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EMA was a complete farce and the schools knew it.

Kids getting paid for the going to school, and then the vast majority using that money for non-education purposes such as ****, phone credit, clothes, petrol, and getting pissed at the weekend.

Glad its gone, A typical Labour bribe, and typical Labour waste of money.
  • Options
    Super FrogSuper Frog Posts: 11,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Give me money now Dave!
  • Options
    MrOstentatiousMrOstentatious Posts: 2,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My friend recently got a job and is so stressed working part time and balancing her studies that she only sleeps 2 hours a night! I don't recommend it!

But I also think this new grant scheme is stupid as well. I think fellow students/staff should be allowed to report abuse of the scheme. My other friend gets full bursary , yet was telling me of her £500 shopping spree she did before starting A-Levels and how the boots she's wearing cost £100. Pi$$ed me right off! I don't get anything from my parents and I'm not eligible for support. Somehow she needs £20 a month for books :confused: and various other things. I've spent about £30 on books for the ENTIRE year. These are revision books which will aid me in my A-Levels. I can't possibly think why she needs that much just for books a month. We have a college library FFS. :mad::mad::mad:
  • Options
    Julie68Julie68 Posts: 3,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As far as I'm concerned, university is not a right but a privalege. If people want to go to university then pay for it.
    I get sick of students wanting hand outs all the time and expecting everything for free whilst people like myself work bloody hard and pay our way through life.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Students don't "expect hand outs" atall. If the government or whoever are offering it, anyone would be a fool not to.
  • Options
    Julie68Julie68 Posts: 3,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes they do. They were protesting because they had to pay university fees and rioted. It drives me up the wall, all the student discounts they get when other people work hard for a pittance and have to pay full whack.
    The minute students have to pay a normal amount of money they start moaning.
    They should try to live in the real world like the rest of us.
  • Options
    kyresakyresa Posts: 16,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everyone is saying "well before EMA when we were at college, we got Saturday jobs/part time etc". Yes maybe, but we're in a different place economically now. Jobs aren't that easy to get. And great for those who say there are, but my poor daughter is having a hard time in doing so. It's making her ill, she's nervous as it is. I'll continue to help her as long as i can.

Please, tell me what your nearest town is, I'll be able to tell you if there is a job at McDonalds in about five minutes! :)
  • Options
    Baboo YaguBaboo Yagu Posts: 5,803
    Forum Member

Absolute rubbish! There are plenty of part-time jobs available for her to take. Sounds like she needs a good old fashioned fire lit under her arse.
  • Options
    jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
    Forum Member
    Baboo Yagu wrote: »
    Absolute rubbish! There are plenty of part-time jobs available for her to take. Sounds like she needs a good old fashioned fire lit under her arse.

Many sixth forms and colleges also give students jobs. Doing cleaning after school.

anyway there is new system and if anything Its a better one. Anyone I knew who got EMA did not use it to benefit there education.