silent witness on bbc1 now

Comments

• JT EffectJT Effect Posts: 5,177
    Forum Member
    Gill P wrote: »
    It was set in London but Michael Socha is from Manchester. Perhaps he cannot do a southern accent.

He's actually from Derbyshire ... I checked after my last post where I commented on how I thought he sounded like he was from Nottingham.
  • miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JT Effect wrote: »
    He's actually from Derbyshire ... I checked after my last post where I commented on how I thought he sounded like he was from Nottingham.

He is Lauren Socha's brother? she was in Misfits.

Just started to watch this, why is the colour so whishy washy and dreamlike!
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sorry, got that wrong! Yes he is Lauren Socha's brother.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Guessed the killer correctly!!

That was more obvious than an obvious thing holding a placard saying I am obvious. :)

Wishy, washy camera work, wishy washy script - Awful.
  • HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    I am glad some people have picked up on the picture quality of SW. Having recently bought a new HD TV with a 10" diagonally larger screen than its predecessor I was beginning to think TV was the problem and maybe it exacerbates it to some extent but surely not in an HD transmission?
    I, like a large percentage of the population suffer from dry eyes and therefore use eyedrops to keep the eye lubricated otherwise the condition can cause mistiness but the photography is truly awful with fuzzy backlit shots, causing glare, fuzzy focus and generally low levels of light everywhere indoors or at least in the Police station and Lyell centre.
    Another series guilty of this was the Whitechapel ones, although this has mercifully been terminated now, hasn't it?
    I want to see well-lit in focus shots and only dark scenes where appropriate. PLEASE.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I kept getting distracted by the microphone which kept bobbing up and down above the bosses head in the autopsy room. You would think that they would have kept that out of shot. The ending was such an anti climax. They should have caught him trying to kill another victim or something. Would have made it more interesting.

Why is Nikki the only person who notices important things in photographs like the bruising on one of the victims legs and the marks around the other 2 victims mouths? She's like the Columbo of coroners. Shame the police boss is leaving. I would like to see her return as a regular character and see some friction between her and Nikki develop.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes I thought he sounded Nottingham, but Derby is very similar. I thought that the block of flats looked like the Sheffield ones which have been grade listed.
  • burton07burton07 Posts: 10,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I kept getting distracted by the microphone which kept bobbing up and down above the bosses head in the autopsy room. You would think that they would have kept that out of shot. The ending was such an anti climax. They should have caught him trying to kill another victim or something. Would have made it more interesting.

Why is Nikki the only person who notices important things in photographs like the bruising on one of the victims legs and the marks around the other 2 victims mouths? She's like the Columbo of coroners. Shame the police boss is leaving. I would like to see her return as a regular character and see some friction between her and Nikki develop.

Isn't the microphone supposed to be there for recording autopsies? When he was talking his voice was amplified.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    burton07 wrote: »
    Isn't the microphone supposed to be there for recording autopsies? When he was talking his voice was amplified.

It looked more like a microphone they use during filming with the furry head.
  • Miriam_RMiriam_R Posts: 4,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought this story ws slightly better than the one with the footballer. I prefer Leo's replacement as he's less annoying (imo). Jack is growing on my, and Nikki is well...Nikki as always, soppy and not sure about this haircut.

I'm still glad this is back though and hopefully next story will be better than both previous ones.
  • saralundsaralund Posts: 3,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Triumph of style over substance, as ever. I gave up thinking about the plot holes long ago, and I'm pretty sure the world of forensics is a lot grubbier than the gleaming expanses of the Lyell Centre where everyone has an office the size of a ballroom and Clarissa never has the slightest hitch manoeuvring round the building.

Like the new boss better than Leo, but the new boy-totty doesn't do it for me like Tom Ward did. The one performance that hit the mark was the woman police detective, I thought.
  • RandysbackRandysback Posts: 3,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why was that little Scroat not arrested for GBH and kidknapping >:(>:(
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,505
    Forum Member
    Do you mean the ex-soldier who incurred mental health problems in the course of serving his country and was then wrongly imprisoned for a crime he did not commit?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Do you mean the ex-soldier who incurred mental health problems in the course of serving his country and was then wrongly imprisoned for a crime he did not commit?

and then wrongly not imprisoned for something he did.
  • miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The ending was meh, much better if they caught him about the do something.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    I really like the washed out tones of the show. The camerawork and editing is just lovely, even if it is a little gruesome.

This show was always filled with by-the-book TV Tropes and exposition rather than actual character depth, but it's so silly in places now!

One part I don't like is the Lab Tecnician, she can't act at all and they have written her to be sassy, and she just comes across as having a massive attitude. You can see how they set her up for jokes in the script about her disability, it's like pulling teeth.
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone know why its not on I.Player (or Virgin catch up)
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,505
    Forum Member
    It *is* on iPlayer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't like Dr. Nikki's new hair, it ages her.

Loving the new series though.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't you just hate the; "unseen man hiding in the non-existent rear seat footwell of a small car," nonsense?
  • yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    Don't you just hate the; "unseen man hiding in the non-existent rear seat footwell of a small car," nonsense?

No !!!:)
  • chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Knew he was in the car when she got in it!
  • boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I wouldn't be able to fulfil that role as I'd be puffing and panting trying to bend down, assuming I'd been able to break into a locked car, without causing any damage, then locking the car again
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boksbox wrote: »
    I wouldn't be able to fulfil that role as I'd be puffing and panting trying to bend down, assuming I'd been able to break into a locked car, without causing any damage, then locking the car again

Exactly!

When you open the car door, the light comes on and you don't normally unlock your car and get in with your eyes shut.
    It's unlikely that anyone could get down low enough in a small car not to be seen. This "ploy" has been used time and time again in TV dramas, but I've never read about it in the press about it happening in "real life" in car abductions.
  • far2coolfar2cool Posts: 6,334
    Forum Member
    That was a brilliant episode last night, I can't wait for the second part tonight

I also hate the 'person hiding in the back of the car' thing, I just don't believe you wouldn't notice someone in the back of your when you got in, even if it was dark