Hebburn (BBC2)

Comments

• Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Nobody watching tonight?
    Male lead's acting is a little clunky.
    All the nursing home stuff was amusing, storylines a bit meh but what they're doing is amusing enough.
    Liked the couple being tucked in by his mum too :)
  • JulessJuless Posts: 147
    Forum Member
    Definitely growing on me. I agree the male lead's acting is a bit clunky, but had to laugh when his hair got blown all over the place and he suddenly didn't look so cool after all.

I wish Jim Moir had more to do.
  • John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is a really 'mixed bag' imo. The 'rave' at the Nursing Home has been done many times before and often much better whilst the 'scampi in a bun.......with gravy' scene in the pub was great.
    It's good enough to bring me back next week though..........

I've always liked Gina McKee too, it's a pity that 'Friends in the North' didn't lead to more high profile stuff for her though.:(
  • BluesTrainRadioBluesTrainRadio Posts: 990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just base my opinion on a simple rule - do I enjoy the show or not. And the answer is yes...I do.

I am not someone who laughs out loud at things, but for this show, I find myself at least chortling! I like the characters and just take it for what it is...a light hearted show...with some good jokes...definitely one show that I will make sure I watch each week.
  • mrsmoosemrsmoose Posts: 2,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That singer, was it Alistair Griffin from Fame Academy? I'm pretty sure it was, I deffinately recognised him.
  • Loz_FraggleLoz_Fraggle Posts: 5,757
    Forum Member
    mrsmoose wrote: »
    That singer, was it Alistair Griffin from Fame Academy? I'm pretty sure it was, I deffinately recognised him.

No, it's Neil Grainger, he was in the re-make of Crossroads about ten years ago.
  • JulessJuless Posts: 147
    Forum Member
    Loved the joke about The Specials!
  • SatnavvySatnavvy Posts: 5,211
    Forum Member
    Liked week 1, turned off half way through last night. Just bored. Didn't believe the book thing.
  • Dirty RoosterDirty Rooster Posts: 1,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The male lead, who had the first lines in the first episode, is such an incredibly BAD actor!
    He should be embarrassed at appearing with that cast since some of them are quality.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    AFAIK he's had no acting training. He's a standup and only been "known" for a couple of years.
    The writer is his mate and also appears in the show is another standup (though i've never seen or heard of him before this).

To be honest Moir is not what you'd call a trained actor, although to be fair he's had 30 years in the business to learn.
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The male lead, who had the first lines in the first episode, is such an incredibly BAD actor!
    He should be embarrassed at appearing with that cast since some of them are quality.

He's quite believable in his role. I can relate to a few younger guys around here who are quite like him.

He is a standup as others have said and comedy panel show veteran. He's just breaking into things. He's going to be playing the Theatre Royal in Newcastle next year and tickets are all but sold out so I think he is def connecting locally but on a national scale, not so sure
  • UnlikelyHeroineUnlikelyHeroine Posts: 1,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I saw an interview with him where he was quite open about the fact he had very little acting experience and was relying on the actress playing the female lead to help him out and give him pointers. He might be a very good stand-up and have a local connection but it makes no sense to cast limited actors on the BBC as surely there are literally thousands of more talented people who could do the job.
    Forum Member
    Don't the BBC just "buy it" though. It's made through a production company based in Manchester where I believe Ramsay and Cook (writer) live and they are both from Geordieland.
  • suesuesuesuesuesue Posts: 15,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh come on. The "she killed him with a Kirby hoover" line in itself is enough for a round of applause! Completely forgot about that weird pyramid selling thing of the 80s until last night.
  • UnlikelyHeroineUnlikelyHeroine Posts: 1,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Don't the BBC just "buy it" though. It's made through a production company based in Manchester where I believe Ramsay and Cook (writer) live and they are both from Geordieland.

OK and I know it's only BBC Three, but the BBC still commission it. It wouldn't get made without the BBC saying they would buy it.
    Forum Member
    It's on BBC2. I thought it would be more suited to BBC Three when I first heard about it and saw the trailers.
    Not sure how they decide on stuff like that.

Saying that i'm happy enough with Getting On and Only Connect on BBC4 whereas some say they deserve to be on BBC2.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Satnavvy wrote: »
    Liked week 1, turned off half way through last night. Just bored. Didn't believe the book thing.

Me too, most disappointed, don't think I shall bother watching again.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    I saw an interview with him where he was quite open about the fact he had very little acting experience and was relying on the actress playing the female lead to help him out and give him pointers. He might be a very good stand-up and have a local connection but it makes no sense to cast limited actors on the BBC as surely there are literally thousands of more talented people who could do the job.

Well it seems to work for Lee Mack and Tim whatshisface on Not Going out, acting is a bit too clunky for me, so I can't watch it and I like Lee Mack's work generally, it seems to put bums on seats.
    I liked his radio series too, so good I've listened to it about 3 or 4 times now.

One of those things, works for some viewers, doesn't work for others.
  • rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Winnie, you know what you've done"

I couldn't stop laughing. I enjoyed this show. It is not taxing and it is quite funny in places. Watched both episodes back to back on Iplayer. Loved Gina McKee.
  • JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    Pretty boring, very poor imitation of Gavin & Stacey. EP 1 was decent enough, EP 2 was just dull.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JimothyD wrote: »
    Pretty boring, very poor imitation of Gavin & Stacey. EP 1 was decent enough, EP 2 was just dull.

The strange thing is that I found the episodes of G&S which I watched totally unfunny, whereas Hebburn is growing on me.

Just shows there's absolutely no point in comparing comedy shows. Or in this case, a comedy show and a non-comedy show.
  • sparkie70sparkie70 Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who was the women who played Sarahs mum? I have seen her before?
  • LabLab Posts: 2,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sparkie70 wrote: »

Jan Ravens. Been in loads of things.

Take your pick
  • LaineyTLaineyT Posts: 6,392
    Forum Member
    Lab wrote: »
    Jan Ravens. Been in loads of things.

Take your pick

My dad used to say that if I saw somebody on the telly and couldnt remember their name Id say whos that dad??? and he always said....ohh they have been in loads of things :D

I like Hebben loved the jewish inlaws...
  • Sherlock_HolmesSherlock_Holmes Posts: 6,882
    Forum Member
    sparkie70 wrote: »

"I HOPE YOU ARE HAPPY NOW!"

A quote by the actress in question ;)

Strictly fans will understand it :D